Need some suggestions to outfit my wifes purse with a light.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
So yesterday, my wife goes shopping to Target and the lights go out. Her initial thought is "Dave has so many flashlights and now when I need one I don't have one." Time to get one for her to be hers alone.

My issue is this, I don't know which one she will actually look past the purchase price of (everything is a stretch right now) and feel fine just keeping it bouncing around in her purse for an eventual necessity.

I would really like to keep it to CR123A with emphasis on rechargeable compatibility since that is the direction I am moving myself. My first thought went to the Nitecore EX10 (that I personally EDC) but she has told me she doesn't like the somewhat stiff button. Mine keeps getting smoother over time, but it is still noticeably more resistant to pushing than an average clicky.

I would normally look immediately to Fenix for a nice P2D but those have the unfortunate issue of losing their low modes with a RCR. I'm not really interested in getting any of the 3.0v RCR's since I would like to keep my battery purchases to a minimum and just keep one type of battery charged and ready to go for all my lights. The ability to swap to a primary in time of need would be useful since I like to keep a few of them in the car with the emergency light there.

So...now that I have my demanding Grocery list out of the way, does anyone here have any suggestions for something that I have overlooked? The lower the price the better, though I am willing to sell more stuff to purchase something that will last (within reason, of course).

Rossymeister

Enlightened
just keeping it bouncing around in her purse for an eventual necessity.

If she is just going to use the light for emergencies, I would not recommend utilizing rechargeable batteries.

Here are Some options that you may consider.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you give your wife a light for her purse, stick with AA format. Load the light with a Lithium AA cell, and it will be ready when she needs it.

Any of the Fenix lights would be good, even if is is an older Luxeon light. When the lights go out, she will not care if it is a CREE, or not. It will produce sufficient brightness for long enough to get her out of a jam.

FWIW, I gave my wife a purple Fenix E01 and have it loaded with an Energizer Lithium AAA cell. It is plenty bright for nearly anything that she would need it for and cost me about $15 including the battery.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO a Lumapower LM33 is ideally suited for this application. It has a nice clean wide beam (SSC P4), just two levels and works well with RCR123's.

LM33

... and it's also cheap. :)

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If she is just going to use the light for emergencies, I would not recommend utilizing rechargeable batteries.

Here are Some options that you may consider.
I plan on making it my business to make sure her light is ready to go by swapping the rechargeable if that is the route I go. I probably will stick with a primary for the get go until I find out how much she actually uses it. If it lights up on any regular basis, I want the option to head to a RCR.

I have thought about using a AA based light, but for that I would want to make sure I buy some Eneloops instead of the standard NiMH batteries laying around the house. The issue I have with that option however is that the regulation never seems to be quite as nice and flat with a 1.2-1.5v battery single cell light. If you can prove me wrong, I am willing to reconsider my opinion that Li-Ion is irrevocably superior to Ni-MH powered lights.

@Kilovolt
The LM33 does look intriguing and I will definitely consider that one. Those light levels are just about perfect. I prefer to hand her something she doesn't have to cycle through modes to turn it off though. That one being only 2 modes is nice but independently selectable would be my preference. Basically a Fenix L2T interface with a Cree running 1xRCR123A is my perfect solution. Output like 10 and 100 lumens to boost runtime in both levels.

Last edited:

Raytech

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind women with long nails my have a hard time with a tailstander back end. which ever you decide on should probably have a protruding button.

Silversurfer

Enlightened
I'd suggest the BitZ. Three output levels and very small. Will hardly take up any space in her purse.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can fully understand where you are coming from, my wife thinks its madness to spend so much money on lights but she lets me indulge in it as its a heckuva lot cheaper than spending money on other more expensive hobbies.

Anyway, my wife has played with my Fenix E01 but doesnt like it as the knurling may scratch the inside of her bag, wallet, etc.

Any 1 x AA or 1 x CR123 is a bit too big, she loves the DX fauxton keychain LED light ( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253 ) as its tiny, light, puts out enough light at a squeeze of the casing, and her nails make it easy for her to activate the switch for constant on mode if needed.

At $4.73 for 10, its a steal and the batteries can be replaced cheaply too ($0.194) ( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.832 ). Face it, non-flashaholics arent going to appreciate the lights as much as we do, the fauxtons are just the first step to get them hooked :D

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind women with long nails my have a hard time with a tailstander back end. which ever you decide on should probably have a protruding button.
That one isn't really going to be an issue. I think she would like using a protruding button a little more but she would also appreciate tailstanding at times if it ever was needed. No definitive reason to sway either direction.

@hyperloop
I don't think the Fauxtons are really the thing for her. She has a few similar style lights of mine that I have tried to get her to carry, but she doesn't really like those. Something small but quality I can get her to carry, but cheap throwaway lights are to easy to forget about since there is no reason to care.

Last edited:

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
I got my wife a Fenix L1D, and added personalized laser engraving. She loves it and no longer jokes about my lights. It is always in her purse. (I put a AA lithium in it.) I got the laser engraving done at the Fenix-Store, now 4sevens.

I recommend the Fenix L1D Q5 or maybe the the new LD10.

Edit:

AND, if you get it engraved with sweet nothings, it will be sentimental and she will have a reason to love it. :naughty:

as long as you choose the right sweet nothings....

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in a similar situation as you.

I'd like something the size of a Romisen RC-C3 but with a clicky instead of twist switch. The Romisen RC-N3 in CR123 form would give that.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, I gave my wife a purple Fenix E01 and have it loaded with an Energizer Lithium AAA cell. It is plenty bright for nearly anything that she would need it for and cost me about $15 including the battery.

+1 :eek:

My wife loves purple, and simplicity. :p

Last night I handed her a LM33 to go check on things, and she could not press the button.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Something small but quality I can get her to carry, but cheap throwaway lights are to easy to forget about since there is no reason to care.

On the other hand, Fauxtons are so cheap you can outfit every handbag, purse and coat she owns so she can't forget to carry one because they're everywhere.

Plan B is 'Honey, it's either that or a head light!'

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, you can buy the L2T V2.0 and couple it with the P2D body. That will give a P2T.

The Eagletac lights might work too.

gunga

Flashaholic
How about your own EX10? With a lot of use by you, the button will soften up a lot. Perhaps that would do?

I also think a nice AAA light could work. Fenix L0D Q4 (engraved of course!) or perhaps a LIteflux LF2x? A peak light is simple and classy too...

nismotor

Newly Enlightened
The issue I have with that option however is that the regulation never seems to be quite as nice and flat with a 1.2-1.5v battery single cell light.

If it's for you wife, I really doubt she cares about flat regulation or anything else you throw at her.
shrug.gif

-I gave my fiance a Fenix L1T v2, dropped in an AA Lithium for her purse, and she loves it. It's simple w/ two modes and works whenever she needs it. AND she knows how to look for AA's!

FYI I'd showed her my L2D Q5 Prem, L1D, EX10, Olight T20, and she addressed how the diff modes was confusing at best.
Christo_pull_hair.gif

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, we've seen this type of thread many times here on CPF... finding the right light for the wife, girlfriend, etc......... and more often than not the light that seems to get the most smiles, oooohs and ahhhhas, and actually gets carried, seems to be the Fenix special edition LOD Q4, with it's hard red finish and cute snowflakes on each side of the name:

https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_52&products_id=370

A bit pricey maybe..... but a tried and true worker that will serve most, if not all, of your wife's flashlight needs for many years to come........ AND, it is usually so well received by our lovely feminine friends that they often become a bit softened to our need for new lights (something to consider).

As far as Lithium-ion having better regulation than NiMh, I think you will find that a light with a good driver (like the LOD) will work quite well with NiMh AAA cells...... especially Sanyo Eneloops...... however I tend to agree that using a primary lithium, at least at first, seems to make more sense for an occasional use light like this...... although...... you might find that your wife likes it so much, and loves showing off to her friends that it might at some point make sense to go with rechargeables.

I also like the idea of the inexpensive fauxtons mentioned above. I keep one on my keychain next to my 1xAAA Avenger.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize this is a long ways away from your wish list, but have you considered the Streamlight Keymate and/or Nano? Both are kind of cute - AFAIK the Nano only comes in black, but the Keymate comes in black or silver. I had a Keymate for a year or so until #1 son made it disappear right after I had bought some new batteries for it.:mecry:

Both of them come with a neat little clip that would be ideal for fastening to a zipper pull or a strap ring on a purse or on a key chain. Better yet, both are under $10 (not including s & h). Let her get used to having one of those as an EDC for a while, then when she has more opinions as to what she likes and doesn't like, move her up in the world to a REAL flashlight.

I've got a SF G2 (my current EDC), a SL Microstream and Stylus Pro (both also good purse lights! [and under $20]) and that neat little Energizer with the CCFL along one edge of the body; and I'm thinking of getting a couple of Nanos just to use as zipper pulls on my jackets.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I would really like to keep it to CR123A with emphasis on rechargeable compatibility since that is the direction I am moving myself.
So...now that I have my demanding Grocery list out of the way, does anyone here have any suggestions for something that I have overlooked?

Just because you prefer rechargeable 123's doesn't mean she'll behave the same way towards them. Sooner or later, the battery will get depleted, she won't notice, and you won't be around to give her a spare (or care for them if they're unprotected vs. protected, etc.).

Short answer:
-stick to AA lights for non-flashaholics
- I'd give her an L1T or similar AA-based light

Now that I think about it, out of all the lights I've given my wife, the only one that really gets carried is her red L0D, and I think that's because it's on her keychain.

With that in mind, get an E01 (or similar AAA light) for her keychain.

I just remembered, my wife seems to like those coin-cell operated lights as well. She keeps one attached to her USB drive.