DOES YOUR L1 FLICKERS?

tango44

Enlightened
Yesterday I went out for a night walk around my property and suddenly my L1 went to the low mode, I thought that I moved the tail cap but no my battery was low.
I had my E1B as a back up and no problem, when I went back to the house I noticed that the L1 led is flickering with the low battery????:thinking:

Is that normal?
Does yours do the same?

Thank you.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I believe this is fairly typical behavior to see a slight flicker when the battery gets low. Seems like I noticed this with my L1.

Geoff

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Flicker is normal with regulated lights and dying batteries. Sometimes it is there and annoying as a strobe, sometimes barely visible. But basically all regulated lights can do this one way or the other
bernie

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
I have put a dead battery in my L1 (cree) to see what happens. It was from a dead G3. It worked fine with out a noticeable flicker. The High matched the low setting until the complete death of the battery. It ran about an hour on low with output comparable to my photon key chain fob. Then slowly but surely dropped to a almost useless glow for 1-2 more hours.

However. With the low battery it would Flash brightly and then go to a dim glow when turning it on. So maybe I should say it had one flick.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, also my L1 CREE does flicker a bit when the battery is dying. I believe it is the circuit trying to raise the voltage to feed the LED correctly but failing to do so because there's no juice left in the cell.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've seen flickering on my lights when they go off regulation and the battery is trying to keep up the higher output (but can't, so the light goes back and forth between regulated high and the low output).

However, once my L1's go on low, there's zero flickering.

Tango44, let your L1 turned on for a while and see if the flickering goes away. If it doesn't, and the flickering doesn't go away with a new battery, there might be a different problem.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Thats Surefires Low battery indicator. My L7 does that when ever the battery is near the point of needing a recharge.

tango44

Enlightened
I've seen flickering on my lights when they go off regulation and the battery is trying to keep up the higher output (but can't, so the light goes back and forth between regulated high and the low output).

However, once my L1's go on low, there's zero flickering.

Tango44, let your L1 turned on for a while and see if the flickering goes away. If it doesn't, and the flickering doesn't go away with a new battery, there might be a different problem.

When I left the L1 on for a while the flickering still going.
When I put a new batt, no problem at all, so I think it's only low power on the batt.