Windows XP changing language

Vbeez

Enlightened
Someone gave me an MSI Wind U100 sub notebook few days ago. It has Windows XP SP3 in Chinese. Windows is pre installed. The main problem, I don´t understand Chinese language at all.
Is there anyway to change the language ?

Thanks

greenLED

Flashaholic
A fresh install is the only way I know of changing the default display language (input languages are a different story).

Illum

Flashaholic
well, I think you could change your default regional settings to English and fix that issue.

go to the left bottom corner of your desktop, click "開始" or start
If its in the default XP view you should see either the familiar tool chest or a notepad with an pen beside it with a check mark, labeled "控制台" clicking this would open control panels

most likely on default its on category view, find a globe icon with a calender beside it, it should read something along the lines of "區域/語言控制" clicking that opens your region and language control

on the first tab it should say something like "區域設置" meaning "regional options." If thats the case, change both dropdown boxes to United States
check the third tab, be sure the dropdown menu for that is also set to United States

Hit "確定" or OK last, if necessary, restart your computer, either through start or hit Alt-F4 when your in the desktop and hit the green button on the right

Let me know if this helps:thumbsup:

Illum

Flashaholic
well, the language of windows is english...thats not going to change...but the display language should be able to be changed

I bought my think pad X32 in Taiwan and somehow I changed it to display in English...most of the time:candle:

oh well, I'm out of ideas on this one:green:

Vbeez

Enlightened
on the first tab it should say something like "區域設置" meaning "regional options." If thats the case, change both dropdown boxes to United States
check the third tab, be sure the dropdown menu for that is also set to United State:

How to write down United States in chinese ?
Thanks

Illum

Flashaholic
yeah...except for usage limitations...in which cases you just hafta know whats being translated and use the corresponding words to get the translator to work:eek:

For example, if you type in "control panel" it will throw you "控制板"
Chinese Windows IIRC uses "控制台" which you'll need to throw in "control bench" to yield:candle:

Otherwise for basic sentences it would work fine:grin2:

Vbeez

Enlightened
Ilum the nation : I tried as you told, didn't work. Mine is XP home edition, might work on XP Professional edition. Thanks anyway