Flashlight for friend in Iraq

jake25

Enlightened
First off i'm pretty much broke but i would like to help him since he is doing such a great duty.

I'd love to get him maybe a SF M2 and a Dereelight 3SD and just go over the top. Actually probably a 3SM. Since he is in the Army, he does get an ample supply of CR123's.

I'm thinking of a SF 6P and a nice drop in. I would get a dropin from Dealextreme, but I don't think i would like to trust them for these kinds of situations.

Any suggestions on a moderately priced dropin thats pretty reliable? I don't know of anything out there. Is Incan a good choice?

Another idea was maybe a Fenix P3D? Any suggestions welcome

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
+1 on the M60.

Instead of the 6p host, how about a C2 in HAIII? It is a nice step up from the 6P with 1) the hard-anodizing, 2) the ergonomics, and 3) the pocket clip, and they really aren't all that more expensive. My 1.5 cents.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

jake25

Enlightened
Wow you guys are a tough crowd:popcorn:

I don't even have a M60 for myself, just so you know where i am on the broke-o-meter.

Thanks again Webley

steed77

Newly Enlightened
I just got a drop in for a friend from this guy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CREE-Q5-Replace...Z022QQcategoryZ106987QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Was recommended by others here as he is in Calif. and shipping takes less time.
then you could get a G2 or 6P and you're GTG.
(Maybe find a used one in Marketplace?)
BTW, most commendable you helping out your friend.
Let him know we appreciate his service to his country.

I picked up one of these a few months ago.(same guy and drop-in).. I was VERY surprised with the output and color. It was a great pick and the price was right too.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

gorn

Enlightened
What does your friend do in the Army? That might dictate what light to get him. My son was able to wipe out several nice lights while he was in Iraq, including a Typhoon. But he is a scout/sniper so he was doing some crazy stuff, like standing for several hours up to his neck in a black water canal for a sniper hide.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You mentioned a SF 6P and a nice drop-in.

An M60 is very nice.

You could also get a Surefire P60L.
(I've seen a couple of threads over at B/S/T for them at around $30).

DM51

Flashaholic
There are 2 other factors worth considering. First, soldiers will need a low light setting just as often as a high one, and second, battery availability is important.

A Nitecore D10 is one light that would be good in both these respects, as AA cells should still be easy to get if your friend's unit does not have access to CR123As.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say again:

Standard incan Mag Solitaire.

Rugged, dependable, easy to find batteries, variable beam, bright enough to read a map, and dim enough not to attract a sniper if used under cover.

And small and light enough not to add to a soldier's already heavy load.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I say again:

Rugged, dependable, easy to find batteries, variable beam, bright enough to read a map, and dim enough not to attract a sniper if used under cover.

:crackup: You're joking, right?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to take a look at an Arclight AAA - roughly $30 and amazingly durable.

Soldiers can break lighting needs into several different categories:

1. Tactical lighting - also to include weapon lights
2. Non-white light (usually red; blue for medics)
3. Personal light - used for maneuvering around bays with sleeping personnel, rummaging in ruck sacks and the like. This can be colored or not - typically low-powered.
4. Work light - usually not as expensive as a tac light; used casually or non-tactical environments.

-Trevor

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say again:

Maybe a Fenix E0 as a supplement to a primary light
I'd go led for lunger runtimes and no chance of burning out as in an incan bulb.

another thought is a SMJled bulb for use in 2 cell GI Angle light, for general purpose lighting.

I have a Dereelight drop in SF G2 also, VERY bright. They have specific models for use with rechargeable or primary batts, get the proper one.
Only issue with them is you have to be absolutely sure that the batteries are not inserted backwards in the light, the module is not protected against reverse current. Did that to mine accidentally and ended up having to do some modding to get it up and running again (got new driver from DX and installed it).

Last edited:

firefly99

Enlightened
I'd love to get him maybe a SF M2
Just get him the Surefire M2 since he is doing his duty for the country. You may want to get him a Glo Toob as well. These are the two toughest light that will not go wrong.