Need suggestions for best focusable headlamp for working in a mine!

blueboy9

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!

I work underground in a mine in Canada and I'm looking for a headlamp to replace the one we're given as it's heavy(lead-acid battery worn on our belt) and has a long cord that gets in the way often.

As you can imagine, its VERY dark down there in some areas so it has to be of appreciable brightness and clarity. The most important thing for me is the ability to tightly focus the beam up to ranges of at least 50 meters(165 feet) for spotting and lighting up hazards at a distance. The bulb type doesn't matter to me, and price isn't really an issue. Durability is a consideration as it can be wet and dusty at times.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

BB

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
If I were you, I would get a StenLight, as it is a VERY durable and bright headlamp made for cavers and would be very suitable for mining. It does not have a focusable beam, but it is VERY bright and VERY durable.

For a very tightly focused beam, you'll probably want a very bright thrower flashlight in addition to your headlamp. Too many good ones out there for me to suggest a specific light, but others probably have some good ideas.

PeterC

Newly Enlightened
My thought too (about it being explosion proof).

I think the terminology is "Intrinsically safe".
In practical terms, this means that the lamp and battery system should be sealed to the extent that any sparks inside wouldn't be able to ignite an explosive mixture (gas or dust and air) on the outside.

I would expect that these sorts of apparatus usually require formal certification. Depends upon the regulation in force at the mine.

blueboy9

Newly Enlightened
I think as long as the lamp is sealed with no ignition sources exposed to the air it'll be ok. Its a copper/zinc/gold mine so there's no methane or other gases to worry about.

I'll take a look at the Sten, can you also suggest a headlamp that's focusable? I've looked at some of the focusable Xenon headlamps, how are they for brightness at a distance?

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'm almost positive that Canada has nearly the same regulations as the US on the matter, meaning any headlamp will have to be intrinsically safe and meet some sort of regulator guidelines as to what that is.

A good place to start would be MSHA approved lights.

blueboy9

Newly Enlightened
If the wires are insulated and the bulb is sealed from the environment, they're considered safe to use in our mine.

With that said, does anyone know of a focusable headlamp that can illuminate a spot at a distance of 10 or more meters?

vtunderground

Enlightened
Most of the newer LED lights have such good beams (bright spill beam with a tight, very bright spot in the middle) that there's no need for focusability. I think almost any headlamp with a reflector (as opposed to an optic) and a Seoul, Cree, or Rebel LED should meet your criteria for brightness and usability.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If the wires are insulated and the bulb is sealed from the environment, they're considered safe to use in our mine.

With that said, does anyone know of a focusable headlamp that can illuminate a spot at a distance of 10 or more meters?

10m should be no problem for most of the headlamps you read about here. How much runtime? Also would you like to have multiple modes(low, high etc)?

If it is completely dark, a pure flood Zebralight(essentially close work only) might work(though not well).

:welcome:

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone know of a focusable headlamp that can illuminate a spot at a distance of 10 or more meters?
A Scurion does a fantastic job there, but is not sold in northern America.
As it also does not have external contacts (unlike a Stenlight), it should be intrinsically safe, but is not certified for it.
The headpiece is of about the same weight as of a usual miner's lamp and the battery box with battery equals the cable in weight.

The floodlight is wonderful for working and the spot is quite good at distance.

Another option might be the BiSun. As you can use an intrinsically safe headpiece, it will be safe (but not necessarly certified).

RGB_LED

Enlightened
:welcome:. How about the Petzl Ultra headlamp? This headlamp is pretty rugged as it's main customer would be adventure racers but it's versatile and allows you to use an extension cord and it also has a couple of battery options as well. The only drawback is that it's quite expensive. They recently started selling them at MEC here...

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide to go with.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Most modern LED headlamps, have a fixed focus beam. They generally have a tight beam in the center, with a nice useful spill beam around the central spot that makes up close work very doable.

LEDs in reflectors, will have much stronger spill beam compared to the incan in a reflector you are used to using. With LEDs, depending on the design of the reflector 40% or more of the light coming out the front can be in the spill light around the central beam (depending on reflector design), plenty for up close work, whereas on incans, often the amount of light in that spill beam is more like 25% or less.

You will probably find that almost any headlamp utilizing a MODERN (read, NOT a Luxeon) LED emitter will out-perform the headlamp that you have been issued... In fact, the low and medium modes on these modern LEDs will suffice for 75% or more of underground activities.

But, it's important that whatever you pick out, have enough runtime to last you through the day. Ideally, that means on 1 set of batteries, but if you think swapping batteries while down there isn't a problem then let us know as this is going to influence what options are on the table.

A few things to take into consideration:

1. Do not use a CR123 powered headlamp in a mine, as CR123s, while generally safe, have a higher chance of randomly exploding while being discharged than most other cell chemistries. And obviously, you need something rechargeable if you are going to be using it daily, CR123s are way too expensive to be using 8 hours a day... :)

2. Li-ion rechargeable should be considered fine, especially if you pick out a headlamp that comes with them pre-installed with charge controls and cell protection all built in.

3. Any multi-AA headlamp can be used with NIMH cells for recharge-ability. Since you will be using it every day, and want the investment to last, I would suggest Sanyo brand Eneloop NIMH cells. They are definitely some of the more reliable cells out there, and will deliver hundreds of useful cycles before they need to be replaced, some NIMH cells barely make it to 100 cycles before developing problems. Another huge factor is a good quality charger, as this will really maximize the performance and life you get from your rechargeable cells, do a little research, and check out chargers from MAHA, La Crosse, AmsMann, Accupower,... Something with individual channel control, and if possible, a capacity readout and cell testing capability, so you can always know that you are going in with GOOD cells that are ready for the day.

--------------------------

On a side note, you should absolutely be holstering some sort of hand-held light as a backup. A 2xAA powered Fenix, or Olight, or something like that would probably not be a bad choice.

Eric

blueboy9

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the suggestions and information! Lots more to headlamps than I thought.

I'm leaning towards the new version of the Petzl Myo XP. With a single super bright bulb, the max distance and battery life are extremely appealing. I can change batteries when I'm down there, I carry a backup flashlight at all times.

Does anyone have this lamp that can attest to the range it boasts? (97m)

I'm also interested in the Petzl Zoom Halogen, Micro, and Myo 3 Noir. All three of these Petzl models have the focusing bezel that I'm looking for. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on these?

SureAddicted

Enlightened
LED Lenser H7

140.2 Lumens
2.9 Watt (3) AAA Batteries
84 Hour Battery Life
528 Feet Effective Range (160 metres)
Advanced Focus System with hinged position beam
Variable Light Control Technology (VLT)
Coast Lifetime Warranty

DONE

Marduke

Flashaholic
LED Lenser H7

140.2 Lumens
2.9 Watt (3) AAA Batteries
84 Hour Battery Life
528 Feet Effective Range (160 metres)
Advanced Focus System with hinged position beam
Variable Light Control Technology (VLT)
Coast Lifetime Warranty

DONE

84 hours :crackup:

More like 2-3 with NiMH

SureAddicted

Enlightened
84 hours :crackup:

More like 2-3 with NiMH

I've gotten more mileage than that from alkalines.
I suppose you have the figures to back it up.

EDIT Having checked another source, its up to 50 Hrs runtime.
I still have the original batteries in mine and its still going strong after about ~12 hrs.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I've gotten more mileage than that from alkalines.
I suppose you have the figures to back it up.

EDIT Having checked another source, its up to 50 Hrs runtime.
I still have the original batteries in mine and its still going strong after about ~12 hrs.

So you honestly think you're going to get 140 lumens out of 3 little AAA cells for over 12 hours (or 50, or 84...)??

Try doing a little math for the figures. Assuming you can squeeze every possible drop of power out of an AAA alkaline cell, you might get 4.3Wh out of 3 of them. If you believe their own 2.9W claim, that's only 1.48 hours. In reality, being driven that hard, you will only get a fraction of the available energy out of the cells, meaning even less runtime than that.

LED Lenser has a LONG history of absurd brightness and runtime claims. They keep doing it because it works, and lures in uneducated consumers who take the fictional specifications at face value.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
So you honestly think you're going to get 140 lumens out of 3 little AAA cells for over 12 hours (or 50, or 84...)??

Try doing a little math for the figures. Assuming you can squeeze every possible drop of power out of an AAA alkaline cell, you might get 4.3Wh out of 3 of them. If you believe their own 2.9W claim, that's only 1.48 hours. In reality, being driven that hard, you will only get a fraction of the available energy out of the cells, meaning even less runtime than that.

LED Lenser has a LONG history of absurd brightness and runtime claims. They keep doing it because it works, and lures in uneducated consumers who take the fictional specifications at face value.

Well, how do you explain the runtime I've been getting so far?
EDIT If it did only last the runtime you say it does, I would of taken it back the next day.

Last edited: