Should I use WD40 to lubricate the threads of my flashlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highseas

Newly Enlightened
First of all I would like to find out whether it is always good to lubricate the threads (by that people mean the tail cap area where one turns in order to get to the battery compartment, correct?)

Secondly is it ok to use DW40 for the task? If not, what is recommended?

Thanks.

hdohdo

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have been using WD40 for treating guns. Its more something to clean than something to lubricate.
WD40 seem to consist most widely of kerosene.
Lubrication-abilities are really not overwhelming.
In some cases WD40 can lead to swelling of o-rings (depends on the material).
I would prefer grease for maintainig threads because that will reduce wear much more efficiently. Watch out that oil or grease fits to the material of the o-rings- thats most important.

Dirk

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
No.

Use silicone grease. I use Nyogel but you can just use the stuff you get at your local hardware/home improvement store.

DM51

Flashaholic
WD40 is not a lubricant. It is a water-repelling anti-oxidant.

It should not be used on anodised items, nor for that matter on guns, as it will eat away the gun-blacking.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to use WD40 as well, so I'm happy I didn't do it.

But, because I have no silicone-based grease at home, I user normal household oil, both for the threads and the o-rings. I've used it for 20 years on my Mags and not noticed anything special. Only negative thing I see is, that it is very fluid and has to be used in tiny little quantities if you don't want to spoil anything.

Does that oil harm the o-rings?

NB : I got my WD40 from the bike-dealer, to lubricate the chain of course!

g36pilot

Enlightened
Oh boy, I have used it on bike chains numerous times, thinking that it would protect them against rust.

WD40 will prevent oxidation for a while, but on bike chains it's more a solvent than a lube. It's lower viscosity allows more wear point contact on chain internals, sprockets, & chain rings.

Used as a chain solvent WD40's penetrating properties make it difficult to remove which will greatly dilute any proper lube application afterward.

http://bicycletutor.com/no-wd40-bike-chain/

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
I use Finish Line Synthetic Grease. It does not creep, thicken in the cold, damage o-rings, oil separate. It totally repels water and is one of the best bearing lubs around (the only lub I will use on my bikes bearings- and I am a pro bike mechanic). A little goes a long way.:thumbsup:

DM51

Flashaholic
Thread heading inexorably off-topic, as always happens with these lube threads.

Please read the thread linked above by dano in post #8. It says everything you need to know.

This one is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.