Deoxit killed my reflector

moffel

Newly Enlightened
Today i dissasembled my Dereelight dbs v2 to clean all threads with Deoxit, i had just cleaned the threads on the top part of the reflector when i accedently touched the inner part of it with my finger, i started to wipe of the greasy stain left by the finger with a dry optical wipe. unfortunately some of the Deoxit from the threads got on the wipe and dissolved the reflective coating leaving the brasscolor below exposed, the wipe itself had changed color to silver. Well lesson learned the hard way and the reflector was destroyed, if anyone wonder it was the smooth reflector and red deoxit, sorry for my bad english i just wanted to let you know that Deoxit on reflector coating is a bad idea so be careful when using the stuff.

Gator762

Enlightened
Ack! That sucks. :ohgeez:

Thanks for the info. I just ordered some, now I know to be careful with the stuff.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I think we've all made that mistake. Reflectors are vapor deposited Aluminum coating that can rub off with ANY kind of wiping... Its best to leave the fingerprint alone. To clean off dust, I use an unraveled Q-tip and LIGHTLY dust it off, note that even with this there is an element of risk. You definitely do not want to wipe with a tissue, lens paper or use any kind of solvent.

If the reflector is aluminum you can polish it back to a mirror finish with some 400, 800, 1500, 2000 wet sand paper and metal polish / dremel. Although it may oxidize over time and require an occasional re-polish. In fact, if you take your time it may turn out to be more efficient/reflective than the original orange peel finish coating.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
This happens often. Almost anything that touches the surface of a reflector is probably going to ruin it. They are far more delicate than you would think. I never touch a reflector with anything other than a brush made specifically for cleaning camera lenses and most often just use a gentle breath to blow away dust. Even then I am very careful. Some people use alcohol to rinse a reflector, but I do not even do that.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's happened to me before. I usually just wetsand with 1000 til I break through to aluminum, then wetsand with 2000. And the real secret is to use a great metal polish like mother's billet polish. I put a wad of cotton cloth on my variable speed dremel's polishing wheel mandrel and on it's lowest setting put polish in the reflector and polish til it gets really shiny. I buff off the relfector with a microfiber. It relects nicely, although more ringy than the orange peel.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rinse my reflectors with distilled water and wipe with a towel made for glass. Never fails, but most my reflectors are McGizmo , so quality may play a major factor..Thanks on the Deoxit warning though.

Last edited:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I washed a few times the fivemega reflector of my Mag11/ROP because the bulb fogged it. I usually rinse it with dishes detergent and hot water then I dry it using a hair dryer. Never had problems with that solution.