WD40 doesn´t harm anodised surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdohdo

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

WD40 is just a little bit mineral-oil dilutet in a lot of petroleum/kerosene.
It´s not an "anti-oxidant" in the sense of a reducing agent (=>redox). Just in the sense of corosion-inhibition by water-repelling/diffusion barrier.

I have used it for years as weappon-oil. There was no adverse effect to any "gun-blacked" surfaces. The "gun-blacked" surfaces (whole barrel) of my .223Rem is just perfect after jears. Just as the gun-blacked surfaces of my 9mm.

Dirk

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Please, please, please! Don't use WD40 on your firearms. The OP's statements aside, I have experienced the horror of long-term storage and WD40 on weapons. It is not pretty. The stuff gets gummy and sticky and very hard to get it all cleaned off. There are so many decent products out there -- I would sooner use synthetic engine oil than WD40.

This is in no way a slam hdohdo, he may clean his guns often and may have never experienced what I am talking about. But ask any gunsmith about WD40 and weapons and see what they tell you.

DM51

Flashaholic
WD40 is just a little bit mineral-oil dilutet in a lot of petroleum/kerosene.
It´s not an "anti-oxidant" in the sense of a reducing agent (=>redox). Just in the sense of corosion-inhibition by water-repelling/diffusion barrier.

I have used it for years as weappon-oil. There was no adverse effect to any "gun-blacked" surfaces. The "gun-blacked" surfaces (whole barrel) of my .223Rem is just perfect after jears. Just as the gun-blacked surfaces of my 9mm.
That depends on the type of gun-blacking. It will damage traditional color-hardening as it removes oxidisation, which is what color-hardening is.

The fact remains that WD40 is a penetrating solvent, rather than a lubricant, and it is not a good idea to use it on LIGHTS.

This topic is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.