American Airlines "Emergency" Rechargeable

County

Newly Enlightened
Howdy-

I'm sure some of you have noticed the grey-ish colored flashlight that sits in a charger w/ red charging-LED on commercial aircraft. It's usually located in the front passenger entry/exit area. I list American Airlines as that's the airline I know I've seen it on recently (an MD-80 to be specific) .. but I bet it's standard-issue in the industry. It's roughly a 2-D sized light, the tube has raised ridges that run the length of the body. It's relatively plain in appearance, but am dying to know what it is, and the associated specs. I'm betting the light is an incan.

Most recently, I saw a black version of this light (otherwise the same design as the traditional model) on an American Eagle Embraer ERJ-145 and it actually looked pretty slick I thought! I want one!

I didn't find any information or previous posts on this topic. If you have info, please share!

THANKS!!

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive seen some with a flashing red LED on the switch
but I wouldnt know where to get one from :(

OceanView

Enlightened
Like most lights certified for some sort of hazardous environment, like on aircraft, it's probably a very tough, safe light to use, but likely pretty anemic in output and has an ugly incandescent beam. I think the novelty would wear off quickly.

How many volts do you think the charger is using as input? From some History Channel program I saw on TWA Flight 800 and the electrical system on a 747, seems like a commerical airliner can have an electrical system that spans a wide voltage range so it's anyone's guess, I suppose.

brucec

Enlightened
My wife is a flight attendant for Japan Airlines and they fly mostly 747's. My guess would be that the flashlights came with the airplane, in which case they might be the same as American Airlines' lights. I'll ask her to take a look at what they have. However, other than the P2D in her flight bag, she knows jack about flashlights.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I KNOW there was a thread about this before, but I can't remember any part of the title...

I know somebody else will though.

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
I can't speak for American Airlines, but as far as the standard equipment on a CRJ, the FA's flashlight is NOT rechargeable. The flashing red led you see is only telling you if the batteries are good or not. In other words, it will flash every few seconds indicating enough power in the batteries for emergency use. Once the batteries are low, the led will flash less often, until it stops flashing altogether. If it doesn't flash every few seconds, we let maintenace know and they replace the batteries.

It is a common mistake that they are rechargeable because it is in a holder, and the led flashes while it is in the holder. The flashlight I believe has a magnetic switch. When you take it out of the holder, the flashlight turns on. Much easier to use in an emergency.

OceanView

Enlightened
...the FA's flashlight is NOT rechargeable...When you take it out of the holder, the flashlight turns on. Much easier to use in an emergency.
Actually, that makes sense. If there's ever any fuel vapor in the air after a crash, you don't want any potential sparks from a rechargeable light being pulled from its cradle.

And that magnetic switch sounds just like a hotel flashlight that someone posted about from some Japanese hotel. Just grab-n-go!

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posed this question to a friend at the 737 factory. One such product is from this place:
http://www.dmecorp.com
go to products, aircraft products, flashlights or thereabouts. I'd fix the link but I'm using the iPod Touch.

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
I KNOW there was a thread about this before, but I can't remember any part of the title...

I know somebody else will though.

I think you are right. I remember something like this probably about a year ago.

Anyways, I've seen the lights in question and have no idea about them. But I agree, probably tough old lights with poor output.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
If the LED produces (1) red flash, battery replacement is indicated.

So flashing red not so good!

That's not always the case. The nite ize replacement tailcap for the MM has a red flashing led in the tailcap, it's not a fuel gauge, just so its easy to find in the dark.