Traveling to Cincinnati this weekend, looking for things to do.

HotPursuit

Newly Enlightened
I am taking the wife to the Sat and Sun ball games in Cincinnati. Figured this would be the last time for a while that we (Brewers) make the post season, but I see now that it will take a miracle for that to happen this year as well
Wow.gif
cry.gif

Anyway, we are staying in Covington. Looking for places or attractions that we should avoid and or places that we must see. Neither of us have been to this area before. We are driving down so we will have acess to a car.

We will have all of Friday afternoon and night, Saturday morning and evening, and Sunday morning to do stuff other than the ball games. Also good places to eat would be helpful as well. We would like to see the area and avoid anything that is a tourist trap waste of time.

Also, a few questions on the ballpark. It looks like parking is a pain in the a**. Since we are staying so close, do you recommend we just grab a taxi? We plan to arrive early to see the park and watch bp.

Thanks for any suggestions any of you can offer.

Buckeye

Enlightened
A quick note: Cincinnati was hit hard by Hurricane Ike. 90% of the area covered by the local electric utility was without power Sunday, about 850,000 people/businesses. It's now down to about 25%. I'm just giving you a head's up. Most of the power should be back this weekend. Watch out for random traffic lights that don't work.
There is a bus that runs from Kentucky up to the game. Also there is a walking bridge that crosses the Ohio river next to the Stadium.
Octoberfest Zinzinnati (German festival) is taking place in downtown Cincinnati this weekend. Have fun on your trip.

spock

Enlightened
hotpursuit, i live in enon, oh, about 50 mi. from cinn.. cinn zoo is open after storm. 9-5 daily-great place to go. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/
air force museum is big. they have a b-36 inside the building! it is also free. the museum is between dayton and fairborn which is about 50 mi. from cinn..
do you have a gps? makes it easy to find.

HotPursuit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I did not realize they had problems related to the storm.
Thanks for that info.

I posted up an another forum and have received several responses telling me to check out the AF Museum. How long does it take to get through it? We will not have a ton of time.

Yes I have a GPS, will never be without one again, wayyy to handy.

Ran into Pete Rose in Vegas a few years ago, he was signing balls with an appology to MLB.

Oktoberfest was also mentioned several times.

I should mention we are looking for a nice sports bar type of place to catch the game on Friday night. We are staying on the river on 3rd street in Covington fyi.

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
As mentioned earlier, check out the aquarium and "Newport on the Levee" which is right next to the aquarium. The Levee has lots of stores, nice restaurants, movie theater, and an IMAX.

Roger

bitslammer

Enlightened
+1 for the Octoberfest. It's a great time.

Staying where you are you should also hit the Hoffbrauhaus. It's really very close to the real one in Munich save for a few things. Plenty of sports bars near your location. If the power thing is still lingering they will be crowded. I figure that they will be anyway since people have been cooped up in the dark for a few days.

There are shuttles that will take you across the bridge to the ballpark for some trivial cost. If your up for a nice walk you could park in Newport and take the Purple People Bridge. That's ~1 mile walk across the Ohio River to the park.

The Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio is only a 45 minute drive if traffic isn't bad on I-75 so that might be a stretch. It can take a good 2 hours or more to see the whole thing, so figure 4 hours to go plus round trip travel time.