Need Info on Q2-5A emitters

jag-engr

Enlightened
I don't especially like Crees. They are ringy, which is irritating, and monchromatic, which distorts depth perception. :sick2: The Q5 emitter in my EX10 is OK, but not especially good.

My first thought was to have a qualified modder swap out the Q5 with the RB100 emitter from my P2D. :naughty: Unfortunately, it seems that the driver, reflector, etc. is not compatible with Rebel emitters.

Then I saw TexLite's high CRI Seoul thread. I was immediately interested, as I seem to remember someone saying that they had swapped a Seoul emitter out for the Q5 in an EX10. However, it seems that he is only getting good results in lights set up for Luxeons and Seouls.

However, I have recently seen some pics of the Q2-5A beam, and I'd swear I was looking at an incandescent. I believe that the Q2-5A emitter would work quite well with the EX10 as it is, essentially, the same emitter. I know that tint and CRI are not necessarily directly linked, but my warmer tinted Rebels have noticeable better CRI than the cool Crees that I have. I would assume that, in general, a warmer light will have a better CRI.

My questions are:
  1. Has anyone done this?
  2. What kind of max/min output would I be looking at with the EX10 driver?
  3. What sort of CRI does the Q2-5A have?
  4. Does anyone here offer this modding service?
  5. Where would be the best place to buy these?
  6. Are there any modding tutorials for an EX10 emitter swap?

Last edited:

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the tint..!

I got a couple from Netkidz with the help Maxspeeds....! (thanks again!)

And recently finished an old PRT head with one of those emitters...

They rock and most certainly give a nice warm beam...

As for the rest of your Q`s, I`m sorry..
I do not have the answers....:eek:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would assume that, in general, a warmer light will have a better CRI.

Sodium vapour lamps are very warm. They also have a rubbish CRI! If you're going for high CRI, you'd be better served by high CRI rather than a warmer tint (although I think the 5A has a CRI of 80 rather than 75 or the cooler tints)

TexLite

Enlightened
Hi jag-engr,

Let me see if I can answer your questions.

1. Has anyone done this?

Yes,while I dont recall seeing anyone post a neutral emitter swap,the EX-10's have been modded with other emitters.

darkzero has a thread here:https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201752

CM has a thread here:https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202598

2. What kind of max/min output would I be looking at with the EX10 driver?

IIRC,in the above threads,or in this one,https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202901looks to be up to 500ma.Keep in mind this is IIRC,I didnt re-read the threads,but I know its in these threads.

3. What sort of CRI does the Q2-5A have?

CRI for the Neutral White Q2-5A is 80 according to Cree.They have a home lighting fixture listed in the 90's,but no one knows yet wgat emitter is in them.

4. Does anyone here offer this modding service?

Yes,many of the regulars that post here would be willing to do the swap.I'd start with darkzero,since its obvious he's familiar with the EX-10.You can contact darkzero by email through his sig.

5. Where would be the best place to buy these?

Cutter has the Q3 5A in stock,as well as Led-Tech,or you can take 2xTrinity's suggestion here from the L1P High CRI thread,
by the way, This is where I've been getting my Neutral white chips, and is the only place I know of to buy these emitters for cheap at the moment. I've been buying those modules, then extracting the drivers and LEDs to use for other projects.

6. Are there any modding tutorials for an EX10 emitter swap?

Yes,see the above threads.

The Neutral White Cree's have a higher output compared to the High CRI SSC's,but lower CRI.But there great for most applications,where a pleasing tint with high output trumps lower output with higher CRI.The Cree will also be a direct swap in EX-10.

-Michael

Last edited:

jag-engr

Enlightened
TexLite,

Thank you for your reply - it was very comprehensive.

I'm torn between doing the high CRI Seoul mod on an LM 31, doing a Q2-5A mod on an EX-10, or just replacing my EX-10 Q5 with an EX-10 GDP.

The Seoul mod might be the smarter choice, but...