Lights for General Home Use

Hillbillenigma

Newly Enlightened
Hey Gang, I'm not a Light-a-Holic or whatever the PC term is now days just a general user who is looking for informed opinions.

If you had to choose one Brand to purchase for your home needs (storing one beside the Bed, one in the Kitchen, one for chasing away Skunks, power goes out, etc.) what would you choose? I take very good care of my tools so I want something that will last! Also, let's keep the prices below $90 or so for any single light.

Please, please ... don't confuse me with someone with alot of intell when it comes to Powers or Cells or any of that (ie. don't tell me to buy a Mega Body and drop in a Dumbkoff insert for 60 mil CP) or anything of that nature. Just straight 5th grade Light Speak will be fine.

BTW - I have an Surefire A2 that I keep in the Truck, this one is on the fritz and I think it needs a bulb but am not sure... so I might purchase a Bulb frrom LightHound and cross my fingers. All the LEDs work but the Middle Main bulb does not. ..??

Thanks in advance for the help / opinions.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MagLED 3D is a good general purpose light. It runs for many hours using common batteries, and it has good output and throw compared to most of the lights you find in stores.

The MagLED 2D is smaller, but it has lower output and runtime compared to the 3D version.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Aurora AK-P7, more and more everyday I use it. Got it from DX, good quality machining and simple reliable direct drive for the 2 mode one. Make sure to get a set of 18650 batteries and a charger. Should run about 70 bucks shipped. It should go at least a good 12 hours on low which is probably about as bright as the mag led, only about .18 amp draw. And on high it'll just about light up the entire backyard and throw longer than a football field. Yes it's that bright. You'll never be want of more light, unless you get bit by the bug. Trust me get a weak light and you'll be wanting to upgrade real soon. Get this one and be over with your flashlight purchases.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12588

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I recommend the Task Force 150 lumen "60X brighter" 2C LED flashlight $30 from Lowes. It is many times brighter than a Maglite, throws extremely far, and lasts for hours on one set of batteries. I have the Task Force and think it is an amazing light.
I also advise you to get a 1 million candlepower/power series rechargeable spotlight, which you can get at just about any hardware or auto parts store for around $15.00. The spotlight will be great to light things up out to 1/3 of a mile away.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Blue, you do realize that most people will never have to illuminate anything up nearly that far, right? Most people will never need a spotlight for anything in the real world.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Blue, you do realize that most people will never have to illuminate anything up nearly that far, right? Most people will never need a spotlight for anything in the real world.

But they are awfully fun :naughty:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
First of all... send the A2 back to SF and let them diagnose whats wrong with it. You paid good $$$ for it and its backed by surefires lifetime warranty support.

I disagree with the task force recommendation. Its far too throwey and tight-spotted to make a good general purpose, round' the house light.

My suggestions would be...
Surefire 6P, $45 on ebay.
Surefire C2, $70 on ebay.

Fit either with a Surefire diffuser lens for some nice smooth Xenon flood.

examples...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190252141280

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190252141280

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200255186299

Power either with primaries. Since you won't listen to a module recommendation... I won't bother. DONE.

Last edited:

BMF

Enlightened
I'm not sure I can say:welcome: or not? May be "Welcome back"?

What about the Surefire 6P and M60F?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I'm not sure I can say:welcome: or not? May be "Welcome back"?

What about the Surefire 6P and M60F?

I was going to suggest a M60L, but he doesn't want a "Dumbkoff insert"... I assume that means Eugenes modules are out of the question.

TJx

Newly Enlightened
V.
You did ask about brand in your original post so I will say SureFire.
Given that I will say a SureFire 6P LED, which you can get at your local Lowe's.
Or if you want 2 levels, order the latest version of SureFire's E2L Outdoorsman.
Once you get sucked in then a SureFire G2Z with a Malkoff M60L or M60LL drop-in. Malkoff's are much better than Dumbkoff's.
What's your A2 doing?
If only the LED is coming on then it could be your batteries are getting low, the incandescent will stop working before the LED's when the batteries get low.
Hope this helps!

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
These guys won't steer you wrong. I thought a Gerber Infinity Ultra was crap until we were faced with a blackout due to Hurricane Ike. If you have no electricity for a week, you want a flashlight that will last for a week.
Starting a fire with a flashlight is really cool, but the practicality is somewhat limited.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Magled 4d that I use for general purpose.If I didn't know that it runs on d cells I would think it has a micro nuke reactor inside. I am on my first set of duracells and it has been 4 months now.

GPB

Enlightened
I would agree with the above posts that mention both the 3D MagLED and the 2xC Task Force light. I have both and like them both. One light that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Surefire G2Led ( its about the same as the Surefire 6PL that WAS listed though ) Its about 60 bucks, durable, small, bright/floody, and runs for a long time on a set of batteries. The Mag and Task force will throw light further so it sort of depends on what your preference is on the Flood to Spot spectrum.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
These guys won't steer you wrong. I thought a Gerber Infinity Ultra was crap until we were faced with a blackout due to Hurricane Ike. If you have no electricity for a week, you want a flashlight that will last for a week.
Starting a fire with a flashlight is really cool, but the practicality is somewhat limited.

:thumbsup:

Hillbillenigma

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great recommendations. I will start my research and see what I come up with.

Also, I am taking the advice kramer5150 and sending the A2 back to Surefire. I took a look at the filament on the bulb and it seems to be intact so I don't think it's the Bulb.

Thanks again Guys!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C and D cell Maglites with the Mag LED module are good general purpose lights.Personally I like the C-cell lights better than the D-cells because they are considerably smaller and still offer good runtime.The Pak-Lite(9V) is a favorite for task lighting around the home and has the added advantage of using old smoke detector batteries,though the original batteries seem to last forever.
I prefer warmer tints for outdoor use and the INOVA T-series(2008) lights work well for me.Unfortunately with the INOVAs you must make sure you get the 2008 models as the older models do not offer the same performance.There are a lot of choices in the $50-$90 dollar price range so it will pay to research this forum before you buy.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Well you sort of have this with the A2 when the batteries drain to the point they won't fire the main bulb you still get the LEDS - but how about an Inova X5 which is inexpensive, built like a tank, and you can put the old cells from the A2 in it and run it for another 2 months. Nice general purpose flood beam.

But I admit that other than my smaller EDC collection the light in my nightstand drawer (backup for the Novatac usually on the nightstand) is a Mag 2D with an LED drop in. The light in the hall closet for general emergencies (including tail standing and ceiling bouncing during power outages) that my wife also grabs, a Mag 3D with an LED drop in... Pretty solid all around general purpose lights really. Common cells, built well, easy to source, relatively inexpensive (and they pop up on sale every so often...).

shomie911

Enlightened
Seriously, before you send it back, change the batteries.

It'd be rather funny for the Surefire technician to take a look at your "broken" light and only have to change the batteries to fix the light.