Mod idea, CR2 battery in Mag AA

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm thinking fairly crude, like just chop off the 2AA tube about 5mm below the head, and mill out the tube so a CR2 cell will fit in it (if you look at the thin-walled part of the tail end of a stock 2AA, before the beginning of the threads, a CR2 will fit, so the 2AA walls are thick enough). Resulting walls might be too thin to thread for the regular tailcap, so you might have to sand off the anodizing and press fit a cap over the outside. You'd lose the spare bulb, but that's ok, you replaced the lamp assembly with an LED mod (maybe even Luxeon) long ago anyway. Result is an LED light that looks like simply a chopped off Minimag head with no tube. Anyone want to try? I don't have suitable tools.

paulr

Flashaholic
I also notice the CR2 drops easily into a CMG Infinity Ultra, past the threaded part to where the tube thicks to keep the AA from wobbling. The CMG must have slightly larger OD than the Mag, though they look about the same. That immediately brings an image of a cut-down, milled and rethreaded Infinity with a CR2 inside along with a dat2zip sandwich and a new head with a sanded down NX05 or equivalent. The amount of work needed would probably be almost as much as making a whole new light along Pocket Rocket (tvodrd) lines, though.