D10/EX10 powered by 18650

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
Wanted-an EDC pocketable 18650 (like D10)

My L2D Q5 is a great light, but a little tall in my pocket, and it moves around making sitting down without repositioning it uncomfortable. My D10 is awesome, it's like not even carrying it, but the light output is not quite in the "pocket rocket" arena. My Olight M20 rocks when it comes to output, but it's a little too big to carry in a pocket easily, especially due to it's large bezel size, grip ring (which is removable), and the clip. I was leaning towards the Jetbeam JET-III PRO ST, but I got talked out of it by fellow CPFers, due to the fact that it was not much smaller than the M20.

I think a perfect solution to this problem would be for Nitecore to develop basically another D10, that uses an 18650. This would totally rock! The D10 design is very small and tight to the battery, eliminating any unnecessary bulk from the total package. Unlike all the bulk of the M20, the Nitecore design would keep everything close and tight, making it more pocketable. They should also optimize it for strictly 18650 batteries, and not for CR and RCR123's

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: Wanted-an EDC pocketable 18650 (like D10)

I would buy one!

Sounds great to me, but give it the SS bezel ring from the EX10 please.

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened

I think a slim 18650 light would be little thick for pocket carry, but give me an 18650 powered D10 with its UI and super low low and say a 230 lm high and I would be in heaven.

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened

I would be in for one (or even more) too :thumbsup:

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
These 2 new lights are awesome, I have a D10. If either one of these could be designed to take an 18650, without changing anything other than the width/length to accommodate it, it would be the light of the year! My first 18650 light is the Olight M20, but it is nowhere near as pocketable as a Nitecore, even if it were enlarged to accommodate the 18650.

Also, if Fenix could make it's new pd30 to take an 18650, it would rock also!

Maybe if enough people respond here, Nitecore and Fenix may get the message!

Gator762

Enlightened

I think a perfect solution to this problem would be for Nitecore to develop basically another D10, that uses an 18650. This would totally rock! The D10 design is very small and tight to the battery, eliminating any unnecessary bulk from the total package. Unlike all the bulk of the M20, the Nitecore design would keep everything close and tight, making it more pocketable. They should also optimize it for strictly 18650 batteries, and not for CR and RCR123's

I think you've been misdirected... Look at the specs. The Jetbeam Jet-1 MK 1 IBS is 91 mm long. The Nitecore D10 is 89 mm long. 2mm? Whoop-dee-doo!

You could get an L1D body for your L2D, and some LiFePO4 14500 cells. Then you'll have your little Fenix with the 180 lumens of your L2D! :twothumbs

I picked up 6 cells and a charger for $24. Downside is runtime, but I have EDC'ed mine now for a week off of a single battery. It should be around 30 mins. Now I carry a 1xAA compatible light with lithium level output. I'm not worried about runtime, I carry an L0D backup and AA's are readily available anywhere.

MS3

Newly Enlightened
I'd buy one as well. My D10 is my fvorite light. I have an L-mini, but the flaky switch action and lack of a low low mode aren't so great. A PD 18650 would be great.

LedZep

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't the new Wolf Eyes Champion run off one 18650? This sounds like a relatively small, bright, high quality light.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also interested in a nice 18650 edc; using the EX10 template would be great. It's not like we need any new circuit or anything. Should be really easy to make a run to test the market.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Hey since I have an EX10 already I am highly in favor of them just making a longer PD tube and body.
:poke:
Super cheap for the company and easy to get what we want!
I could probably even afford it without saving up for it.
:D

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still waiting for a PD drive light that uses AAA batteries. That would be the ultimate keyring light.

The EX18 would be a nice name for the 18650 version.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
As you have probably already read in some of the D10, EX10 threads, they are run by a boost driver, so using a Li-Ion will over drive the circuit and the LED will run in direct drive, so not regulated. Using an 18650 would mean that the DX/EX10 would be running in overdrive on high for quite awhile, and the other levels will be affected too. Personally I like to run a regulated light the way it is supposed to be run, in regulation.

Bill

liquidsix

Enlightened
I would like to see the nightcore extreme in an 18650 flavour, I think it has a nice bezel/reflector size that puts out a great spot. From what I've heard of the Ex10 it has the same reflector as the D10, and while it's a good reflector for a AA light, it's not good for a cr123 or 18650 light.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you have probably already read in some of the D10, EX10 threads, they are run by a boost driver, so using a Li-Ion will over drive the circuit and the LED will run in direct drive, so not regulated. Using an 18650 would mean that the DX/EX10 would be running in overdrive on high for quite awhile, and the other levels will be affected too. Personally I like to run a regulated light the way it is supposed to be run, in regulation.

Bill
Unless they put in a buck/boost driver to handle the 18650.

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
All technical details aside, a Nitecore PD that is just like the D10/EX10, but chambered for an 18650 is the idea. Such a light would be awesome. The only thing I would change from the existing design is to add reverse polarity protection and possibly add an hexagonal barrel or pocket clip to prevent rolling....This would rock!