10 Watt Luxeon Star-Is this a REAL product?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that there are currently no 10- watt luxeon Star's, but has there been an announcement from lumileds about this product being produced in the future?

I have read some other posts about "future" 10 watters, but is this just wishful thinking, or are there any announcements?

Thanks!

M

mistral3164

Guys,
as far as I know the 5W and 10W are in the LumiLEDs product roadmap, but not for now.
The AlInGaN reactors are becoming more efficient now and very soon -within June/July- the 2W and 3W will be market released.
The 3W will be 90Lm -!!!- and obviously the 5W will be no longer needed at 125Lm.
Anyway, OSRAM-OS is coming into the market with their new "Golden Dragon" 1W at min. 22Lm and are planning to have the 5W.
In the meanwhile, Nichia is coming excellent on the market with their 1W, but with a much bigger package.
That's it for the time being...
Within this year we will see a great improvement... hopefully!

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have samples of the Golden-Dragon Red/Yellow, they are impressive

I see the LED market as raising the Lumens/Watt over the next couple of years, watch out FL !

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i don't think we will be seeing a 10w anytime soon...lumileds is still having major problems with their 5w.

mistral, 5w's have been out for some time now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
also, i believe the nichia will be 2w. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the only way i see 10w to be a possibility is ot use more heat resistant materials, find a way for much greater efficicency, or use some new way of cooling.

my guess, is that if lumileds does up the wattage anytime soon (next several years), it will be somewhere between 5 and 10 watts, maybe 7.5?

Zvi

Newly Enlightened
Newbie flashaholic's 0.02$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I donno why 5W would be no longer needed because of the 3W. Especially if it is run at 5W, not 3W. I'd pay extra for it.

3W is also welcome. Hopefully someone will manage to put it into minimag or something else 2-3AA powered.

P.S. After reading all that info regarding Luxeon bin encoding I have a question.
If I got it right 5W Luxeon graded W should put out max 192 lum, and X 249.
All the 5W I've seen (current models and upcoming models) are advertised around 125. Is it that hard to get higher grades for flashlights or there's some other reason?
Can one custom order W or X from lumiled or a maker?

M

mistral3164

As I said, the name of the game is: Lumen/Watt!
If you think that nowadays LumiLEDs has around 25-30Lm/Watt -existing in the 1 watt package- this means that higher will be the efficiency of the 1watt chip higher will become the flux output in term of Lm.
3W will have between 90 and 100Lm.
Today the so called portable 5W LED has 125Lm... so:
the 3W will be more efficient for both thermal management and flux output.

I am looking for lenses to be used with the Lamberthian 1 and 5W Luxeons.
Anybody of you knows more len maker out of FRAEN and COIL?
Thank you for your help...

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering how far does LED have to go to catch up with CFL (compact flouresence light).

Does anybody know how many Lm/W for a CFL?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RewopEldnac said:
Just wondering how far does LED have to go to catch up with CFL (compact flouresence light).

Does anybody know how many Lm/W for a CFL?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 5W compact is rated at 250 lm for an efficiency of 50 lm/w under rated conditions. The higher wattage tubes are better, e.g., the 7W is rated at 400 lm for an efficiency of 57 lm/w. The lumen outputs are rated at the 100 hour point of life. Like LEDs and other light sources, their efficiency decreases with age. The rating conditions include 60Hz as the operating frequency. It is possible to obtain 10-15% gains in efficiency by operation at higher frequency, 20kHz and up. The above efficiencies do not take into account the ballast losses. Ballast losses can be quite low for well designed electronic ballasts but can be significant in inductive ballasts.