VISA Debit Card Purchase Protection?

ewick

Enlightened
Folks, I need some help. Here's the situation:

1. Guy orders flashlight from Hong Kong with Visa Debit Card.
2. Guy receives defective flashlight.
3. Guy returns defective flashlight to Hong Kong for repair/replacement and is told that if flashlight is in fact defective, it will repaired/replaced and return shipping refunded.
4. Flashlight store receives flashlight.
5. One month later, no flashlight.
6. Guy is told that flashlight store is waiting for a manufacturer's report from inspection.
7. Guy is then told that there is no sign of malfunction, but that there is damage caused by overheating (impossible, because main bulb never burned brightly enough to cause any damage -- reason for return in first place).
8. Guy is told that flashlight will be sent back.

And that's it so far. So, my question is, if I end up getting screwed over (which seems pretty likely at this point), is there any way that I will be able to contact Visa or the issuer of the debit card for assistance? What kind of assistance can I expect? Anybody have any experience/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Contact the bank which issued the card first, ask them what to do. They may have an internal department (usually called Debit Card Services) to handle theseissues. Or they may have a special number for Visa Card Services which deals specifically with their customers.

But it sounds like more of a customer service issue than a billing issue, and the bank or Visa may not want to get involved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, and I could be making WAY too many assumptions here, but the unnamed company might have gotten such a bad rap (see other posts) that another company might just pick up the tab on the bad lamp unit for you (again, see other posts by searching for bad company).

That skirts the whole Visa issue and might get you the working light you wanted.

Just a thought.

kev1-1

Enlightened
I don't know about in the U.S, but over here we can take out extra protection for £12/$8 a year 'card guard' and I think that they help with problems such as this. Do you have a similar company in the U.S you could contact? Sorry if this advice is useless...I hate to see people getting messed about.

Blikbok

Enlightened
In the US, almost every card has some method to dispute charges on your bill. IIRC, it's federal law that the card company cannot hold you liable beyond $50 for charges *after* you report the card/number stolen.

iddibhai

Enlightened
i know credits cards have that, but is the same true for debit cards (with the visa/mc logo)? since the money will immediately be taken out of your balance, once the bank is informed, the consumer will be reimbursed those monies taken?

ledfanfromjuno

Enlightened
Pure, Real, credit cards are treated differently by the law than bybrid visa debit cards for online internet transactions. This difference alone is enough to make you to never want to use your debit or hybrid or checking account online for anything.

If someone steals your pure credit card and makes a fraudulent purchase, the law puts the burden of loss on the retailer who allowed the fraudulent purchase. You lose nothing except your time and aggravation, theoretically.

If someone uses your hybrid visa or debit card to make a fraudulent purchase the law places the burden of loss on you, the person whose card was stolen. The card issuer will transfer the funds to the defrauded retailer. Your checking account will be charged. It is up to you to SUE THE THIEF in court to recoup your loss.

This is why the banks are making it so enticing with good deals to get consumers to sign up for debit transactions online, like paypal qualification etc.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Not always, but most banks have a few days where you can file to have the charge contested. It's not as great as credit cards for the reasons you mentioned.

ewick

Enlightened
Guys,

Thanks for all the input. Things are looking to be on the up and up with this deal, but things aren't always as they appear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I'm finally speaking with competent staff at the store in question, so I guess that can be considered progress.

Thanks again for the concern.