Hello - and some opinions please

satanicmechanic

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks - my first post. So I am looking for a flashlight whats your thoughts on this for a spec:

We are using Maglite rechargeable 5 cell units within the ship building industry BUT we need something else:

More powerful light
More robust (we keep losing switches)
Rechargable by preference
Hazardous area certification would be a huge benefit
Accessories:
we carry them either on a shoulder strap or in a belt hoop so a lanyard for the belt hoopers would be good as well

and of course we would like these to be as compact as possible

Money in this instance is not really a problem

These units take some serious abuse.

So whats your thoughts then folks :thumbsup:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello folks - my first post. So I am looking for a flashlight whats your thoughts on this for a spec:

We are using Maglite rechargeable 5 cell units within the ship building industry BUT we need something else:

More powerful light
More robust (we keep losing switches)
Rechargable by preference
Hazardous area certification would be a huge benefit
Accessories:
we carry them either on a shoulder strap or in a belt hoop so a lanyard for the belt hoopers would be good as well

and of course we would like these to be as compact as possible

Money in this instance is not really a problem

These units take some serious abuse.

So whats your thoughts then folks :thumbsup:
Why don't you keep the mag and get switches from maglite. They are guarenteed for life.As far as more light check this outhttp://www.batteryjunction.com/magcharger-tle-300mr.html
Also here is something to carry it with.http://www.batteryjunction.com/niizegrnclfo1.html

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I didn't see you thread yesterday.

For the working Maglites, maybe this thread would help.

Maybe a Propoly 3C LED might work. I just wished they switched to current gen LEDs(double the output).

The Propoly fits everything except rechargeable. You can use rechargeable batteries but I'm guessing that you are looking for cradle charging.

The Pelican 7060 or the upcoming 8060 might work.

How much runtime do you need? Also how much output and throw do you need?

:welcome:

satanicmechanic

Newly Enlightened
Cheers folks - a few things to look at there

In answer to a few questions

Run time - not actually too critical, they are used intermittently say for amaximum 45 minutes in a 4 hour period

Throw etc. - I need a variable beam that will give me good spot light up to about 10 metres and a 'flood' light up to the same, put another way as good as the maglit

intensity - not sure on figures but it must be good for inspection purposes, again to be as good as the maglite

Size - this is one area the maglites fall down - they are cumbersom to carry and a real pain in enclosed spaces

Hazardous areas - the real problem with maglites is they don't make 'Ex' rated equipment, so we have to use some really dire but admitedly certified lights when we start loading cargoes

Rechargeable - batteries are acceptable but cradles are better

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to cpf! I highly recomend the Pelican 7060. They are smaller than the Magcharger, pretty much as bright as any single led out right now, (even though Pelican only rates them at 130 lumens) The beam does not dim during its 90 minute runtime, it uses a lithium battery so it has no memory issues. It is made to hold up to tough working conditions for police officers. You do not have to take out a battery to charge it... it.

Lastly, it is an American made light and covered by a Real lifetime warrenty. Brightguy is a great place to buy them from... or Batteryjunction.

Sector7

Enlightened
:welcome: I would recommend the Pelican Stealthlite Rechargeable 2460, cradle mount, standard NiMH, FM safety approved, submersible....