Fall and Winter EDC change?

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
The leaves are falling, the temperature is dropping and the days are getting shorter.

For me that means I have to look at my EDC flashlight loadout.

In the summer, it's pretty much just a Fenix P2D R100 in a holster with two spare cells in a pocket but Fall/Winter means my jacket comes with me more often (California) so I'll probably drop in my Surefire C2 with Malkoff M60 and four extra cells in a pocket as my secondary backup light and perhaps switch over to my Nitecore EX10.

Does anybody else here vary their EDC loadout with the seasons or is it one size fits all?

mwaldron

Enlightened
Is what's in your coat classify as EDC?

I hate to say it, but for me it doesn't. I'm not in my coat much more in the winter than I am in the summer. I'll still need to carry my P2D in my pants pocket with me most of the time at work.

I do shift an A2 and my VX-7 from my briefcase to my coat though, as I'll be carrying my coat more than my briefcase.

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
Well usually in the summer time I EDC my NiteCore EX10 but since I live in buffalo and we all have big coats here, I might go with a bigger two cell light like my Finix TK11. But it's not too big of a change.(if I even do change)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm still traveling light, with an E01 and maybe a Proton Pro. When the coat comes on I might add an L1 or P2D to its pocket.

Geoff

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I need some multi mode lights. A couple low budget models and one thats more hi-end. Going to attempt a multi-mode upgrade to my RC-N3, a cheap DX Q5-WC based, and a Nitecore or Novatac.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody else here vary their EDC loadout with the seasons or is it one size fits all?
i suspect many people would get a chuckle from the suggestions that we actually have seasons here.

To answer your question... no, I don't change or rotate my EDC lights differently during the fall/winter months. They just get more use.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh I remember the mild pansy winters of Socal. Now here in pittsburgh is a different story. I cant say what i do since I just started collecting flashlights this year. However someone mentioned a good idea in another thread. SF Nitrolon bodies are nice to have in the severe winters. Like here in PGH it can get as cold as -14F. That is the coldest I have seen here. So I imagine my G2Z w/ P60L will be seeing a LOT more use in the winter. whereas my millenium series lights will probably be left in my BOB.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I start EDCing incans. Summers in the Big Sac means shorts and T-shirts, so its small lights. When winter and the bone chilling 50 degree temps decend I bust out my E2d, 9P, or A2. We get Tule Fog and incan light is best. Plus with a coat it is easy to carry a spares carrier.

I favor incans in the fog, rain, and drizzle. Winter to me means belt carry, bigger incan lights, and spares in your jacket pocket. Yes even in Sunny California we have 2 EDC seasons!!!

Tis the Season!

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
When winter and the bone chilling 50 degree temps decend
That's not winter...that's still short weather here in Canada :D

I only carry an E01 on me at the moment and haven't decided what will be the main light in my laptop bag, so I can't really say I change my EDC with the seasons since I haven't even finalized what my regular EDC is :ohgeez:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
No, my EDC does not change with seasons. I just always carry my green laser and Task Force in my pockets, and when I don't need my EDC to fit in my pocket I always carry my 530 lumen Coleman LED spotlight, and a lot of the time my Power On Board HID. I will receive my N30 Monday and it should be the perfect EDC for all seasons.:D

I would say the only change in my EDC'ing is that when I go on walks at night (or am outside at night for any reason) during the winter I have to wear gloves as we get very cold nights here, so I like to carry larger lights that are easy to grasp.

GreySave

Enlightened
Add me to the list if people who change. During the summer it is light when I go to work and return home so I carry a Coleman 123A that is both multi mode and dual color. It has a very wide beam and is ideak for signalling.

During the autumn to spring seasons I switch to a U2 for its greater flexibility and quality. It is dark when I get to work and when I come home. If I am activated for anything during the day there is a really good chance it will extend into the night. Extened runtime and durability thus count for more.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
i suspect many people would get a chuckle from the suggestions that we actually have seasons here.
:crackup::D:grin2:
I still remember mom torturing me come spring time when she made me wait till it was 60 before I put shorts back on. "But mom it's 55 and I am hot!"

No real changes planned aside from maybe adding a 2 cell light to the coat as a stashed backup. It's quite a while till I am regularly adding a coat with extra pockets to the EDW (every day wear) rotation anyway. I tend to work sweaters or sweatshirts without extra pockets in first.

scottaw

Enlightened
I like to have a few extra in my car for the winter, and i'm more aware about keeping batteries topped off. It's a lot more hours of dark, and all the bad weather can cause more car acidents.

And 50 is bone chilling :crackup:, 50 is the minimum i'll go road biking....before i start adding long sleeves. Shorts to 45...hoodie at 35...jacket below freezing...gloves at 25 :nana:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
HAAAAA!!!

What can I say? I'm a born and raised Cali Wimp. Snow is concept to me. I have to drive 2 hours to experience it.

I do like the longer nights though. More time to play with my lights.

jchoo

Enlightened
I probably won't, but then again, I carried an E2DL all summer, not a single AA/AAA light. I will likely carry an extra light in my coat, but I already carry two lights and spare batteries - I don't know if I can justify a third! (did I really just say that?!)

Illum

Flashaholic
yep, a seasonal EDC change good idea, especially considering that winter has longer nights and variations hit the extremes at higher latitudes...:D

just thinking about longer nights makes me want to giggle:huh:

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
Is what's in your coat classify as EDC?

I hate to say it, but for me it doesn't. I'm not in my coat much more in the winter than I am in the summer. I'll still need to carry my P2D in my pants pocket with me most of the time at work.

I do shift an A2 and my VX-7 from my briefcase to my coat though, as I'll be carrying my coat more than my briefcase.

I guess. You're right, what's in my coat pocket might not be counted as EDC, but the Photon on my keychain doesn't always stay in my pants pocket, it stays in my coat pocket or my laptop bag.

OK, so EDC would be defined as flashlights carried on attire or in bag.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find I don't need to add extra lights or cells to my EDC gear in the winter months, because I carry far more than I'll ever need in the summer.