my e2dl arrived today.

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
It is my first surefire (and $100+ light). I was a little underwhelmed at first. The beam isn't very pretty; i later discovered that there is a series of scratches on the reflector. These cause a line of light brighter than the rest of the spill to appear in the beam. I don't think it's worth sending it back. It was still daylight so i white wall compared it to both my l2d and d10. The d10s max is about the same as high on the l2d (~109 lumens claimed by fenix). The l2ds hot spot and spill are wider than the e2dls, maybe making it a more useful light. The l2ds spill is also about twice as bright (on turbo). However, the e2dls hot spot is very noticeably brighter. Maybe 2 times as bright as the l2ds (on turbo; 180 lumens claimed by fenix, 120 by surefire). Still, due to the lackluster quality of the beam and apparent lack of quality control (the reflector scratches), i was ready to make a thread here asking why i spent 3x the cost of an l2d on the surefire: The build quality is good, but my l2d feels every bit as hefty.

Until i took it outside in the dark. The e2dl dwarfs the l2d in throw and brightness (at the same distance, the e2s beam is 2-3 times as bright). The ugly beam even disappears after so many dozens of feet :D. The bezel does heat up rather quickly and it's weird loading the batts from the bezel end :p I also wish that it would have come with a lanyard -- who doesn't give you a lanyard now and days? A few even come with extra o-rings and switches (which reminds me; I'd like for the switch to be a little more firm) Other than that, it turns out that I'm a lot happier with the light than i was at first.

I should have a comparison up of the l2d q5, d10, e2dl and dbs v2 (if it arrives on time and just for fun :D) by next Tuesday. Looking forward to that.

IcantC

Enlightened
A lot of lights seem the same indoors, you see the difference in real world use. I would either contact the dealer or SF and let them know about the problems. They should replace it for you.

superflytnt

Enlightened
It is my first surefire (and $100+ light). I was a little underwhelmed at first. The beam isn't very pretty; i later discovered that there is a series of scratches on the reflector. These cause a line of light brighter than the rest of the spill to appear in the beam. I don't think it's worth sending it back. It was still daylight so i white wall compared it to both my l2d and d10. The d10s max is about the same as high on the l2d (~109 lumens claimed by fenix). The l2ds hot spot and spill are wider than the e2dls, maybe making it a more useful light. The l2ds spill is also about twice as bright (on turbo). However, the e2dls hot spot is very noticeably brighter. Maybe 2 times as bright as the l2ds (on turbo; 180 lumens claimed by fenix, 120 by surefire). Still, due to the lackluster quality of the beam and apparent lack of quality control (the reflector scratches), i was ready to make a thread here asking why i spent 3x the cost of an l2d on the surefire: The build quality is good, but my l2d feels every bit as hefty.

Until i took it outside in the dark. The e2dl dwarfs the l2d in throw and brightness (at the same distance, the e2s beam is 2-3 times as bright). The ugly beam even disappears after so many dozens of feet :D. The bezel does heat up rather quickly and it's weird loading the batts from the bezel end :p I also wish that it would have come with a lanyard -- who doesn't give you a lanyard now and days? A few even come with extra o-rings and switches (which reminds me; I'd like for the switch to be a little more firm) Other than that, it turns out that I'm a lot happier with the light than i was at first.

I should have a comparison up of the l2d q5, d10, e2dl and dbs v2 (if it arrives on time and just for fun :D) by next Tuesday. Looking forward to that.

Exactly! That is the difference between just reading the numbers on a light and actually laying your hands on one and using it. Glad you like the E2DL, I know I love my E1B.....................

BTW, don't worry about the lack of extras. Most lights that include all of that just use such cheap components that they know you'll need spares soon. I'd rather have one good switch than 3 cheap P'sOS

Curious about that scratch tho, the E2Dl doesn't have a reflector. It uses an optic. Where exactly is the scratch, is it on the top lens or deeper down?

Last edited:

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
Exactly! That is the difference between just reading the numbers on a light and actually laying your hands on one and using it. Glad you like the E2DL, I know I love my E1B.....................

BTW, don't worry about the lack of extras. Most lights that include all of that just use such cheap components that they know you'll need spares soon. I'd rather have one good switch than 3 cheap P'sOS

Curious about that scratch tho, the E2Dl doesn't have a reflector. It uses an optic. Where exactly is the scratch, is it on the top lens or deeper down?
I know it uses a TIR system. If the scratches aren't in a reflector, they are where the reflector would normally be; except i guess the shiny scratches i am seeing are exposed aluminum