Has anyone else put a high CRI Seoul in their 120P?

discoverEDC

Enlightened
I ran across TexLite's thread about putting a high CRI Seoul into a Fenix L1P and was interested in his results. Soon after that I had two of the Seoul's in hand and a host purchased for modding. Before I modded the intended host I put one of the high CRI Seoul's into my NovaTac 120P :thumbsup:
I have been very pleased with the results, nice smooth NovaTac beam pattern and semi-decent throw considering the lower output of the high CRI Seoul. The beam is yellow (4000 CCT part) but once you get past that the color rendering is amazing compared to standard LED's.

Has anybody else done this yet? What do you think of the results?

LED Boatguy

Newly Enlightened
I ran across TexLite's thread about putting a high CRI Seoul into a Fenix L1P and was interested in his results.

I'm putting together a Mouser order that'll include 10 or so of those Seouls. The plan is to gut a 4' fluro light in the bathroom and plaster those babies onto the fixture.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I woke up checked the mail and the emitters are there I literally just finished putting it in my HDS.

I'm running it on high right now to bake out any moisture from the solder job. I should be able to get some pics up this weekend.

The beam is a perfect blend. Once you get past the 4000K color and about 30% drop in output it's a really amazing.

The first thing I noticed when I turned it on was how many different tones I could see in my skin. Under a normal P4 my skin just looks white with a hint of brown (I'm asian)[If Neutral LEDs were used to light everything we'd literally wouldn't see race anymore].

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first thing I noticed when I turned it on was how many different tones I could see in my skin. Under a normal P4 my skin just looks white with a hint of brown (I'm asian)[If Neutral LEDs were used to light everything we'd literally wouldn't see race anymore].
You mean.. besides white guys like me who glow in the dark, right? :grin2:

discoverEDC

Enlightened
I woke up checked the mail and the emitters are there I literally just finished putting it in my HDS.

I'm running it on high right now to bake out any moisture from the solder job. I should be able to get some pics up this weekend.

The beam is a perfect blend. Once you get past the 4000K color and about 30% drop in output it's a really amazing.

tebore,

Good job! I take it that you had a regular Seoul in your HDS before?
I'm less inclined to use my regular led lights now. I'll be eagerly awaiting the next generation with higher flux and maybe 5,500 CCT.

Regards,
Walt

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's just something about the color of the light. It's soothing to look at while a normal Seoul has some punch to it.

What I mean is, with a normal seoul you're tearing in to darkness. With this you're easing in to darkness. You notice more detail on what you're looking at and depth of field is much greater.

What I had was a U2SVOH in my HDS before. I do notice that the light output is about half of what a U2 bin is capable of. A high output HDS is in the realm of 130-150lm I'd say you're back to 85lm-100lm on max. You have to crank up the mid range levels up 2 levels to get similar brightness as you would a U2 bin.

It'd be pretty nice to get some U-bin level 5000k High CRI LEDs.

P.S divine you should see a doctor about that glow. Or stop fishing near nuclear power plants. :crackup:

Last edited:

discoverEDC

Enlightened
There's just something about the color of the light. It's soothing to look at while a normal Seoul has some punch to it.

What I mean is, with a normal seoul you're tearing in to darkness. With this you're easing in to darkness. You notice more detail on what you're looking at and depth of field is much greater.

What I had was a U2SVOH in my HDS before. I do notice that the light output is about half of what a U2 bin is capable of. A high output HDS is in the realm of 130-150lm I'd say you're back to 85lm-100lm on max. You have to crank up the mid range levels up 2 levels to get similar brightness as you would a U2 bin.

It'd be pretty nice to get some U-bin level 5000k High CRI LEDs.

P.S divine you should see a doctor about that glow. Or stop fishing near nuclear power plants. :crackup:

tebore,
It's good to hear back from others who have done this. I would guess my 120P is pushing 80-90ish lumens, it doesn't throw quite like a normal P4 light, easing intothe darkness isn't a bad way of putting it. I've thought about trying two high CRI Seoul's in something but the diameter of the head with two reflectors keeps tripping me up. Although I do EDC a D-mini so you wouldn't think that would be a problem :duh2:

I might be able to give divine a run for his money, I've one heck of a farmer's tan and the rest of me will throw back quite a few photons :cool:

Regards,
Walt

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you guys got those emmiters?? I could use 1 or 2 for photography purposes...