Hype for the TK11 dead?

unique

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure the hype and publicity the TK10 received was much more than the TK11. Why has it been left out of discussions so much?
I search TK10 and plenty of results pop up but no where near as much as the TK11.

I'm looking forward to getting a TK11 as my third fenix light but I'm not sure if I should just wait out for it for the new model of the TK?
If it its going to be worth the wait because I want the TK11 for its throw and the batteries it can take because they can at least last for 2 Hours on turbo instead of 1 hour like my TK10 on turbo...

But I'm worried that the new TK will be not a thrower and I've waited all that for nothing...

But also that maybe the new TK will be a whole new revamped light with even more lumens! And I really don't want to waste the money now and then relise that few months later a better light is out!

Is it possible to get some good beam shots of the TK11? There are beam shots on CPF but not very good ones (sorry!)

Slight turn offs from the TK11
The big donut.
The hot spot is off centre (which I think is poor on fenix's behalf because it is a very expensive light).
The rings.

Pöbel

Enlightened
if you fear that a new and brighter light will be out shortly after you bought yours... don't by a flashlight at all ;)

Otherwise you might consider buying an upgradable light just as the Dereelight CL1H, Surefire C2 (my recommendation) or any other P60 compatible light and get the P60 DropIn you like.

That way you can upgrade you torch when improved emitters become available.

1996alnl

Enlightened
The only difference i can see with the TK10 and the TK11 is that the 11 can take a 18650 cell. A very good thing,the run times are more than doubled.
The only thing i don't like is the dark ring around the hotspot,however outdoors at a distance it's not noticable.
Overall its a powerhouse of a light,a tank really.

Take care

king2penn

Enlightened
If what u are worried about most is throw, the TK11 wont disappoint. My copy of the TK11 beats the P2D and L2D comfortably in terms of throw. Its probably only second to other better throwers such as the Jetbeam Jet III IBS or the Olight M20. And the cree ring is unnoticeable when u use it outdoors. Another strength of the TK11 is its battery life... it runs reaaaaal long on turbo mode

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the TK11 isn't regulated on a single 18650, and that's a huge bummer for some... So if you want to run primaries, that's what the TK10 is there for, or the Olights, Jeatbeams, Dereelights, Malkoffs etc. For a single 18650 as the main power source, there are better options. With EagleTac T10L being the best one.

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
Well since the TK11 was introduced we've seen the arrival of Eagletac P10C2/T10C2/T10L, Olight M20, Jet-III M, and CL1H V4 with new pills. There are a lot more options in that market segment compared to a few months ago. TK11 is still a contender, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fenix rolled out an improved TK12 in the next few months to take on the newcomers.

1996alnl

Enlightened
I just wish the TK11 came with an OP reflecter,with an optitional SM one. Just to smooth out that dark donut around the hotspot.
Can't complain about this light though,a while back i saw a vid on youtube of what looked like a TK10 or 11 under a press.It took 20,000 lbs. to destroy this light.
That there is worth the price of addmission!:cool:

Take care

mdocod

Flashaholic
I think the TK11 "hype" started to fall apart when we realized that it was just another direct-drive light (when powered by an 18650, it's buck regulated flat on higher input voltages from multiple cells) that happened to have room for an 18650, rather than being optimized for the 18650... Doesn't make much sense to me to sell a dedicated CR123/RCR123 light (the TK10) and then come out with an 18650 compatible version that isn't dedicated for use on that cell type... The T10L from EagleTac is just about everything that many of us hoped the TK11 would be. With that in mind, If 18650s are your power source of choice, the T10L would be my recommendation. Unless you prefer the extended runtime associated with continuously diminishing output found on the TK11 (and many other 18650 lights).

1996alnl

Enlightened
I think the TK11 "hype" started to fall apart when we realized that it was just another direct-drive light (when powered by an 18650, it's buck regulated flat on higher input voltages from multiple cells) that happened to have room for an 18650, rather than being optimized for the 18650... Doesn't make much sense to me to sell a dedicated CR123/RCR123 light (the TK10) and then come out with an 18650 compatible version that isn't dedicated for use on that cell type... The T10L from EagleTac is just about everything that many of us hoped the TK11 would be. With that in mind, If 18650s are your power source of choice, the T10L would be my recommendation. Unless you prefer the extended runtime associated with continuously diminishing output found on the TK11 (and many other 18650 lights).

Actually i don't mind the fact that it's not regulated with an 18650. It stays plenty bright for awhile and i prefer the hours of runtime.
I'm an avid camper and i would hate to have a light on nice and bright then the next second pitch blackness in the forest. I know,i know bring lots of backup.;)

Take care

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I think you have it all in this thread. I still like my TK11, but it seemed the issue of regulation really put a damper on this light, even though it is one heck of a thrower.

Hype Buster Summary:
  1. No Ruler Flat Regulation (not a huge deal for me but...)
  2. Grip Ring bugs many like me
  3. Q5 LED is driven hard and rings are quite pronounced. I can actually notice it outdoors and it actually does bug me. The only light where the CREE rings have really bothered me. Mine maybe more severe than others. Not a complete show stopper, but annoying.
  4. Right now there if the Jet III M and it looks hot... should have one soon.
  5. EagleTac.... Looks HOT.... should have one soon. 2C variety is smoking right now based on user feedback. Not as much reported on the 18650 variety.
For me... I think I would put the grip ergonomics, and the rings as the two issues that bother me the most. Most others seemed to be most concerned with the regulation. Still this is a very impressive light, but rest assured there are brighter and a new model is always coming.

Last edited:

chris4x4

Newly Enlightened
I recently got one, and it was a pretty bright light. Easilly would throw farther than any of my others. BUT, the tail cap switch had a "crunching" sound now and then, and would not light. Then it would start to flicker when bumped against my hand. I had to send it in to 4 sevens. Cant wait to get it back, though, as it seems like a great light.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer a light that does not just turn completely off when it drops out of regulation like many lights "optimized" for the 18500. If you compare the runtime to 75%, the Fenix does as well as some of the flat regulated 18500 lights. It then continues to burn brightly long after the flat regulated lights have gone out.

Last edited:

EzGoingKev

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up a couple of TK11's and really like them.

Originally I bought one for a weapon mounted light and was impressed enough to get another one for general use. One has the Q5 head, the other has an R2 head on it, not sure which one I like better.

I read that Fenix listens to the feedback they get on the forums so I would like to share some minor things I found with the light.

The "wing nut". I wish it was slightly further back so the light would fit in my hand better. Also, it would be nice if all the edges were radiused.

The head needs a little re-design. The flats do not keep it from rolling if you chose not to use the wing nut. It would be great if there was some sort of texture on it for improved grip when twisting the head for turbo mode. With the one I have kicking around for general use it is not an issue as I just grip the entire head and twist it. With the one mounted on the rifle I cannot grab the entire head so having something there to improve grip would be great. I would not want knurling, but something else.