broken rc-g2 ?

lunkhead

Newly Enlightened
i finally received my romisen rc-g2 flashlight in the mail from dealextreme.
i popped in a AA. pointed at a wall. it was quite nice. it had a nice cool white and bright light. then i set it down for a while. well it doesn't work now. is there something i could do to fix it?

before i 'set it down', i did take off the top part where the led is. is this part sensitive or something? it worked once i screwed the top back on. is it just poor quality crap?

if there's nothing i could do, could someone recommend another flashlight with a similiar price and performance, that accepts AA batteries, and not from deal extreme.

Last edited:

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm. I have a couple of these flashlights, and I have found them very well constructed. If you didn't physically damage the LED, this should be a recoverable issue. The obvious thing to try is to make sure that your battery has not died. (I assume that you checked this). If the battery is good, take off the bottom of the light and use a piece of wire to short the bottom of the battery to the silver part of the threads. If the light comes on, then the problem is in the switch. Sometimes, the switches come loose. You will see a pair of indentations if you look at the inside of the switch assembly. Use a pair of needlenose pliers or tweezers to tighten the switch assembly. (Put the points into the two dents and turn clockwise.)

You can also try to take the flashlight apart and clean the contact surfaces and threads. (Rubbing alcohol will work in a pinch if you don't have anything better to clean the contacts). Sometimes dirt on these surfaces blocks conduction and cause this kind of problem.

Good luck.

optodoofus

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You might have tightened the reflector down too far and cause a short across the LED. That is bad for the driver. Try unscrewing the reflector completely and see if the light still works.

If it does, cut a small piece of paper, big enough to cover the LED but small enough to fit the light. Take a hole puncher and make a hole in the center of this sheet of paper. Place the paper so the LED comes through the hole, and then put back the reflector. The paper should prevent the LED from shorting out.

If it doesn't, either try for a replacement, get a new driver(and LED if you want), or a new light.

:welcome:

lunkhead

Newly Enlightened
with no top, it doesn't work.
the switch was already tight.
You might have tightened the reflector down too far and cause a short across the LED.
i think this is what happen as i did over-tighten it. i was clueless that kind of stuff could happen. :(

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately it does.......mine came with a plastic cover that goes over the leds and covers the contact points........dont know why yours didnt. You can always get the Q5 version from shiningbeam.

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
Mine didnt come with a plastic cover either. I'd check the wires on the LED, prob knocked loose. Mine appeared to have cold solder joints and I re-did them.