Firefighters what do you used and liked?

scoopburt

Newly Enlightened
Short Version - Looking for a recommendation from firefighters who have used a helmet mounted light in a smoky environment. What specs does the light you use have or what specs would you look for. i.e. smooth -vs- OP reflector, lumens or lux claims, hours of run time?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Long version - I'm new to the forums found out about CPF when I was looking for a new flashlight. I haven't been a firefighter for long. I have carried one of the lanterns off the truck since I have never been impressed with the lights the people on my department have carried. (Mostly Streamlight brand). I started looking a couple of weeks ago and actually reading the specs. After looking at the lights I have been able to put my hands on and finding out what specs they have I started looking at what I thought might suit my needs. I spent an obscene about of time reading specs and data sheets, looking at different sights trying to get the best price, figure out which batteries I wanted to use, and so on. When I discovered the endless possibilities of modding flashlights I decided for runtime I liked the idea of using 18650 battery and ended up choosing an Ultrafire C1 I found for 20 bucks with free shipping. This was listed as a good P60 host.

During my research I noticed many of the people on the different sights I was looking at often commented about CPF... I did some research and bam.... found this sight. I'm very interested in learning how to modify flashlights and play with power sources, regulators and everything else. I have been reading this sight most days for a couple of hours and sometimes more...

My primary goal right now is to get a good light to mount to my helmet. That gives me the light I'm looking for 120 plus lumens, 3-4 foot penetration in smoke, 3 hours run time, a rechargeable battery, modifiable so I can update the emitter.

Thanks for any help and suggestions in advance and thank you to everyone that has worked to put together one amazing sight.

scoopburt
ohio FF/EMT-P

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firefighters may have to deal with situations where there is leaking gas so use equipment that are rated explosion proof. If you go to Streamlight's website and check the equipment in the truck, they are probably rated for Class 1 Div 1 or class 1 div 2.
I would suggest talking to your department safety expert as to what safety ratings your light must have and only buy lights that have passed the tests by a qualified lab (UL,FM,CSA) that meets those ratings.

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
I use this, quite happy with it, bout 400 lumens but I usually only run one led as thats more than enough probably about 130-150 lumens.It runs on six AA NiMh and has well over three hours run time. Had to make it out the current light my brigade uses. We dont use helmet lights and the light in basic form is pretty dim. Id used other lights but having to dig them out my tunic with gloves on wasnt ideal.
3cree001.jpg

Rob

Last edited:

scoopburt

Newly Enlightened
Who is the manufacture of the light? Thanks. I'm looking for a right angle light as well. Maybe a Little Ed or survivor.

But I'm looking for a helmet mount when I have a tool or line.

eastcoastdannynow

Newly Enlightened
I have used a uk 4aa led before and it was all right. But that was before cree's, rebels, and seouls. I don't use a helmet light right now but if i did i would focus more on a flood type light with good dispersion because i would use my light mainly for salvage and overhaul. And during overhaul viewing distance is rarely over 25 feet; but i like to have that 25 feet very well iluminated. My other lights that i use are a streamlight survivor led with an ssc p4 and streamlight vulcans which are carried on the trucks.

scoopburt

Newly Enlightened
We have the vulcans on the truck also. That is what I have taken in with me in the past when I have needed to.

For my helmet I'm looking for something with penetrating power.

I'm guessing I'm going to want something with a smooth reflector for that?

Basically what happen was I was on the nozzle we were told that we had a kitchen fire the smoke was rolling out of the front door. We made entry and headed for the kitchen. While we were in side the fire burnt through the roof and there was no fire inside. My partner went out and got a pike pole and a light I took the light while she started on the ceiling. I found a window and tore down the curtain and in came the sunlight. She handed me the pike pole because the ceiling was drywall, plaster and lathe, then a 3/4 plywood subfloor in the attic. The fire was in the attic. I sat the light down on the kitchen table and turned it off. It got dark I was rehabing and they couldn't find my light. I went back out and got my gear back on and got the light. I didn't get in trouble but was asked why I left in inside. They really didn't want and explanation only to make and impression on me that I needed to keep what I take in with me when I come out.

Impression made... Now I want my own light that is strapped to my head as long as I have my helmet I have my light. I will also most likely get a right angle light for my coat although I haven't seen one I like yet.

JohnB

Newly Enlightened
If you want to mount a higher powered LED light to your helmet take a look at the Blackjack holder it will work with many of the standard 1 inch barrel lights. We have sold quite a few to fire dept's and they all have had great luck with it.

http://www.liotec.com/store/BlackjackHolder.htm

You should also consider an intrinsically safe headlamp or NFPA compliant headlamp like the Command 20 from FoxFury. They incorporate white and green LED's to help vision in a smoky environment.

http://www.liotec.com/store/FoxFury-Command.htm

Good luck
John

scoopburt

Newly Enlightened
I have a link to the blackjack once I pick a light I will be getting one of them. Looks very well made and I like the idea of the light being tucked under the brim of the helmet so that if anything fells it will not catch the light. I'll take a look at the foxfury. Thanks for the info.

project

Newly Enlightened
I use this, quite happy with it, bout 400 lumens but I usually only run one led as thats more than enough probably about 130-150 lumens.It runs on six AA NiMh and has well over three hours run time.
Rob

Please tell us the manufacturer and the model of this intresting thing! I am very curious to evaluate, would this be a suitable solution for us.

To answer the original question, we are commonly using UK-lights mounted to helmets. UK has a original mounting set for Gallet-helmets.

I purchased a new Fenix TK20 light a couple of weeks ago and mounted it to Gallet also. It took some effort to do that, I had to made a modification of UK-light's mount and Fenix's helmet mount set. It seems to work pretty well, but I haven't got a chance to test it in the real situation.

At this stage it is easy to say, that TK20 gives a hell of a lot more power than UK-lights. TK20 has also pretty warm light, which should work better in smoky situations that normal LED's.

Longstreet

Newly Enlightened
At various times past I've had a Dorcy MetalGear, Streamlight TwinTask 2L and a Surefire G2, in a home-made bracket. I really liked the Dorcy, but never quite trusted it to be there in a tough spot (durability-wise). I switched back and forth with the TwinTask and the G2. They were both very good, but very different, lights. The TwinTask was too "floody" for use in smokey environments, but great for overhaul. The G2 was great in smoke, but too narrow-beamed for general use (not to mention the look I got from the Chief when I blasted him in the eyes with it!). I finally sold them both, mainly because I got tired of turning them on and thinking "Man the batteries in this thing are expensive. I hope this doesn't last too long."

I finally settled on, and still use, the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA 1 watt Luxeon. Great light, a good compromise between flood and beam, cheap and easy to find batteries, rock solid build quality, and certified for most of the hazardous environments FF's are likely to face. I know some would consider it hopelessly out-of-date, but I've found nothing that I am impressed with enough to replace my ProPoly. I've heard folks complain about LED's in smoky conditions, but I've never noticed a problem. I've never had it in a "so smoky you can't see your hand in front of your face" situation, but I have had it in some pretty thick stuff, and I could see fine.

I enthusiastically recommend the Blackjack holder. I got one to fit my ProPoly at a trade show a couple of years ago, and I love it. It's a good solid mount, and the low profile mount makes it more comfortable and reduces the chances of snagging. The only drawbacks are that it's not very adjustable (that is, wherever it's pointing when you get it on the helmet is pretty much where it's going to point; no up and down, and very little lateral adjustment) and that for most lights, you will need to loosen or remove the mount to replace the batteries. It's a little slow to get on and off the helmet, so make sure you keep a fresh set of batteries in your light. I wouldn't want to try and replace my batteries in the middle of a hectic 0dark30 fire scene, but I do keep the appropriate-sized Allen wrench in my bunker gear just in case.

Also worth noting with the Blackjack, because of the way it mounts, when your face shield is down the light shines through the face shield. If you haven't taken care of your shield, and it has lots of scratches, the light will craze on the shield. We should all be taking care of our face shields any way, but that's one more reason...

Last edited:

scoopburt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info you guys keep bringing to me.

>>Project<< - We don't have helmets like you guys have hear in the states we have Carnes, Bullards and other traditional fire helmets. I personally Like the idea of the type of helmets you guys use. Lets worry about the helmet getting knocked off or shifting on your head when working. However, I think most American firefighters would have a heart-attack if someone changed their gear. Until NFPA or IFSTA get involved the FF union will never let thier helmets go. I'll take a look at the TK20 (I'm guessing that it's not an LED light? I'm trying to stick with LED. just a personal preference.)

>>Longstreet<< - good info I have considered a Propoly light however I'm not impressed with the amount of light. 45 lumes. Brighter than some other lights but not all that bright. I just got an Ultrafire C1 running @ 800 mA with a CREE Q5. Per the Manufacture data sheet that should give between 160-180 lumens. I'm quite impressed with how much light it puts out and I ran it for 6 hours last night and the hotspot on it still washed out the hotspot on a Streamlight Propoly with fresh AA alkaline batteries. I know that it's not rated for explosive environments but if the LED in a seal water tight aluminum case throws a spark large enough for vapor to ignite them I'm in serious trouble. I'm also considering getting a Little Ed for situations such as HazMat/Explosive environments since I'm a HazMat Tech and my department stores the HazMat trailer for my county. In addition our trailer has lighting for Hazmat incidents since our policy is to dispose of nearly everything used in a Hazmat incident depending on the chemicals involved.
I'm definitely considering the Blackjack holder and or machining something similar myself and I'm switching to goggles as soon as I find a pair I like since we have several grass fire and I wear contacts most of the time. The shield is nice but doesn't work very well to keep blowing debris out.

>>slick228<< thanks for the heads up I'll keep and eye out for reviews on the new surefire. Although I'm not sure my wallet can take to big of a hit I have bought a lot of gear recently.

Thanks again everyone for the info.

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
Please tell us the manufacturer and the model of this intresting thing! I am very curious to evaluate, would this be a suitable solution for us.

To answer the original question, we are commonly using UK-lights mounted to helmets. UK has a original mounting set for Gallet-helmets.

I purchased a new Fenix TK20 light a couple of weeks ago and mounted it to Gallet also. It took some effort to do that, I had to made a modification of UK-light's mount and Fenix's helmet mount set. It seems to work pretty well, but I haven't got a chance to test it in the real situation.

At this stage it is easy to say, that TK20 gives a hell of a lot more power than UK-lights. TK20 has also pretty warm light, which should work better in smoky situations that normal LED's.

Sorry for not getting back to you, the light is made by wolf safety lights link below.
http://www.wolf-safety.co.uk/

You cant buy this light because I put the internals in myself to meet my needs. I couldnt find a light that suited my needs so decided to take one that my brigade used and make it good:devil::devil:
Im very happy with it and it looks almost like a standard light we all have until I turn it on:naughty: difference is I can see things with mine. Like the TK20 mounted to the helmet but my brigade wouldnt allow it as we dont have helmet lights even although we use gallet helmets with the mount:confused:
Anyway this does what I need a more but I need to keep a close eye on it because it has a few admirers. Keep getting asked to make people them.
Next thing will be to try one with warmer tint R2's but that might really be an overkill cause it is already silly bright next to the other lights.

Rob

Last edited:

Bruce B

Enlightened
Just get a Surefire G2 LED (80 Lumen LED, 12 Hour Runtime).
Pretty near explosion proof. Then find a helmet mount that will accomidate the Surefire G2.

Last edited:

Shore08

Newly Enlightened
A few things to consider (I'm a FF as well).

Whatever light you get for your helmet, make sure it's one you won't lose any sleep over if it is destroyed or lost. Helmet lights tend to take a beating, as well as their mounting systems. So far the blackjack kit mounted to the underside seems to be pretty good. Also remember that you will be leading with your helmet, and anything you add to it that can get hung on a wire, will get hung on a wire. If the light is permanently attached to the helmet and it gets tangled, bulling ahead so it falls off is no longer an option.

Also, if you put a super bright light on your helmet, you will likely blind everyone you talk to. That lights will shine where you are looking, including people's faces.

Another thing to think about is using your brights vs using your low beams when driving in fog. Fog gets reflected back by high beams worse than with lows. Smoke is the same way.

I carry a Survivor LED on my coat. I have had my hands on 3 Big Eds, and all 3 malfunctioned. 1 fell apart when I pressed the button, another would not keep the batteries inside, and a third would short out when jostled or wet. Granted, that is not typical, but so far my Survivor has been awesome, and I have converted several guys over to them from other lights and from non LED survivors. I would also recommend getting the non-rechargeable version, it runs a long time on AA batteries and you don't have to worry about not having a charger handy, just swap the batteries and go (the rechargeable version has this options as well IIRC, but most guys seem to wind up with issues with their rechargeable batteries). Finally, I have been told by a few guys that the Big Ed lights no longer have the lifetime warranty, and that they now charge for repairs. I have sent in 2 streamlights and had awesome warranty coverage. They will fix it if you break it (my survivor got a broken lens, and my backup, a propoly 3c incan died completely. Both were fixed with no hassels and back to me in about a week).

For my helmet, I have a Garrity LED Life Lite. Disposable and reliable. It is plenty of light for overhaul, inspecting attics and crawl spaces, etc. At the end of the day, if it is smoky enough, you aren't going to be able to see with any light. Get the wack pack and it comes with a ranger band to attach it.

If you are concerned with having plenty of light when you are crawling, attach the survivor to your gear via the splitring it comes with. That way when you are standing, it shines ahead. When you are crawling, it hangs down and shines ahead.

Also, be careful modifying or using modified lights. Lights designed for fireground operations are generally intrinsically safe lights (meaning they won't cause an explosion). Keep that in mind. If you need more lighting on scene, request scene lights, take a box light of the rig, etc.

And remember, 2 is 1, 1 is none, so carry a spare light (or two!). I like having the incan for a backup because it is a different kind of light, so that if the LED is not doing the job, I at least have a different option. I also carry a cheap LED as another backup, it works well when I have to pass a light to the guy in the car with the patient, etc.

But hey, all that is just my .02, and what do I know! I'm no better than you man, just telling you what I've found out. Let me know what you settle on and what works for you!

bcrewcaptain

Newly Enlightened
in all honesty, and as much as we all want to buy new toys...
I've been happy as can be with my Garrity strapped to the side of the leather and the survivor light clipped to the jacket.
The LEDs I have found have too high a color temp for the smoke, in the case, at least to my eyes, the yellower is better.

plus especially with the helmet, I'd rather cook a $4 light than a $100 one, I just carry a spare:D

Panaphonic

Newly Enlightened
I'd have to agree with bcrewcaptain, your helmet light shouldn't cost a fortune. I have a garrity lite strapped to my helmet and I carry 2aa Mag LED in my radio pocket with a small leather strap on the end (just long enough to pull it from the pocket).

Lately I've been considering fastening my SF G2 to my helmet band with zipties, the love is gone in the relationship. It's not NFPA rated but it's hella bright.

Also incans (and warmer hued LEDs) tend to penetrate the smoke better. So it's probably a good idea to snatch the vulcan or litebox off the truck for the time being.

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
Decided Im going to try warm p4 Led's in my light to see how that penatrates the smoke, as most of you have said. Its a bit to bright with the pure white just now specially once you get water vapour into the air, ouch! I'll try swapping out the first p4 with a 3000k one and see how that goes to use alone. Also does anyone know where I can get a gallet helmet mount to add a light?

Thanks Rob

Last edited:

nighteyes

Newly Enlightened
We used to have a UK 4 AA XENON ex proof, really good light for hazard situations.

Jan

chewy78

Enlightened
Just get a Surefire G2 LED (80 Lumen LED, 12 Hour Run time).
Pretty near explosion proof. Then find a helmet mount that will accommodate the Surefire G2.
I have a yellow g2 with gene's m60l mounted in side of it. Its as bright as a lite box. I might get a surefire m15 helmet flashlight mount over at optics planet for it. Then i will be able to easily to snap it off when i need to use it like a regular flashlight.
Otherwise i used to use a big ed 4c in which the beam was very pathetic compared to my g2

Last edited: