Surefire E2DL bests Malkoff M60

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of the city for the weekend and brought all of my lights to play with (they just don't get the use they deserve in NYC). I still love the look I get from my lady when she sees me packing them all up :eek:

I guess I just wanted to express how amazed I was that my E2DL seemed to surpass my M60 in throw and that the E2DL hot spot is massive compared to the M60. The M60 does provide more useful spill and a whiter tint, but, the spill produced by the E2DL is more than useful. I've fallen back in love with the E2DL! I can try to get some shots tonight.

The same thing happened a few months ago when I compared my E2L with the M60L - I fell back in love with the E2L.

Just makes me appreciate the stock Surefires so much - they really are quite amazing. And those new to Surefires should NOT be fooled by the lumen rating - they are infinitely deceiving! These guys really need to be handled to be understood. I can't even begin to comprehend how killer the 400 lumens of the UB2 will be (if I'm still alive by the time I see it).

But, all in all, I must admit that I do still have a sweet spot for the Malkoffs - just fed a new one to my G2 :sssh:

dougie

Enlightened
I cant but help think that this argument is missing the point? Malkoff's are sold to people who want to up the game on their existing lights by replacing an outdated incandescent bulb or less powerful P60L module.

Gene isn't in the business of making a complete flashlight and makes modules to improve an existing host. If this post was about a particular type of LED driven at exactly the same spec and using the same components as a similar drop-in then I could understand you making a comparison but to compare it against a complete flashlight seems unfair and unreasonable, but thats just me opinion!:whistle:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I think what the OP describes is the fantastic optic in the SF E-Series heads. The beam won't win a beauty contest ... but is so so so useful ... big spot, for throwing, sufficient spill and nothing lost in a broad spill.
Very efficient optic and really well married to the human physiology of seeing. Perfect.
I am a reflector guy ... but thsi optic changed the world for me.
bernie

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion the E1B and the E2DL really are the first exciting lights from Surefire in quite a while. I think these two lights say "we haven't given up yet".
Of course thanks to the drop-in design of the other series we can still enjoy those well built lights. The Malkoff dropins have definetly been a blessing, but the dropin competition is getting tougher, we need a 2 level Malkoff, to keep the ball rolling.

superflytnt

Enlightened
In my opinion the E1B and the E2DL really are the first exciting lights from Surefire in quite a while. I think these two lights say "we haven't given up yet".
Of course thanks to the drop-in design of the other series we can still enjoy those well built lights. The Malkoff dropins have definetly been a blessing, but the dropin competition is getting tougher, we need a 2 level Malkoff, to keep the ball rolling.

Agreed. Up until my E1B I had been without a SF for close to a decade. I need multi-level and up until these new E-series it was WAY too expensive in a SF. Up until the recent price change you could get an E1B for around $100 and it's a phenomenal light with perfect levels and an excellent, punchy beam.

IMO, all of the lights using the new TIR optics and Cree emitters (L1, E1L, E1B, E2L, E2DL) are a breath of fresh(ish) air from SF......................

SnWnMe

Enlightened
I don't have the same flashlight but I have an E1L. This little number has great throw with just the right spill for everyday use. Between it and my Malkoff packing 6PL I don't need any other light really (but I GAS for more!)

Tohuwabohu

Newly Enlightened
I think what the OP describes is the fantastic optic in the SF E-Series heads. The beam won't win a beauty contest ... but is so so so useful ... big spot, for throwing, sufficient spill and nothing lost in a broad spill.
Very efficient optic and really well married to the human physiology of seeing. Perfect.
I am a reflector guy ... but thsi optic changed the world for me.
bernie

+1

And it is very bright.
According to my lightbox measurements the light output is approximately as high as the Jetbeam Jet-III Pro IBS rated at 225 lumens and the Olight M20 Warrior R2 rated at 250 lumens with a very similar runtime as the Olight.

But it is the beam that makes it something special.

isneyk

Newly Enlightened
Does the E2DL and E1B use the same optic?

yes sir, as stated by superflytnt, the SF lights using the new TIR optics and Cree emitters are the L1, E1L, E1B, E2L, E2DL.

I do believe that stock is the way to go when it comes to SF's.
Their lights are built as they are for a reason.

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
bullfrog, I am glad that you enjoy your E2DL so much! But I must say (for those that need a light with REAL "useful" side spill, for work and such) that I find the SF's, with the TIR beam, ALL throw and NO USEFUL spill.

The Malkoff has a VERY USEFUL side spill and is not made to be a "thrower", such as SF TIR's "no side spill" lights.

The TIR has a place (just not with me), however it is not as a light for people that may need a "useful side spill" when using their light.

If you want a light for "play", just as a "thrower", enjoy your SF TIR's. If you NEED a light for work, I suggest you may want to seek a light with a "useful side spill". As such, my SF TIR's (L1, E1L, and E2L) sit in my flashlight box unused now (I did try them and found them "unuseful").

My .02 FWIW YMMV

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just offering suggestions/differences as MANY find a light with a "USEFUL" side spill, well, much more "USEFUL".

And I DO find a pure "thrower" little more then a "toy" for probably 99% of people (actually more like 99.999%).

And as I said "My .02 FWIW YMMV".

My mountain is fine, thank you. How is the view from the "altar" of SF?

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Last edited:

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Just offering suggestions/differences as MANY find a light with a "USEFUL" side spill, well, much more "USEFUL".

And I DO find a pure "thrower" little more then a "toy" for probably 99% of people (actually more like 99.999%).

And as I said "My .02 FWIW YMMV".

My mountain is fine, thank you. How is the view from the "altar" of SF?

My .02 FWIW YMMV

So not only are you the arbiter of what is good and proper, but you also speak for 99.999% of the people? Have you any data to back up your claims? A picture of your coronation will do also.

You can't make a claim then say YMMV. That's speaking from both sides of your mouth. Have a position and defend it :huh:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
So not only are you the arbiter of what is good and proper, but you also speak for 99.999% of the people? Have you any data to back up your claims? A picture of your coronation will do also.

You can't make a claim then say YMMV. That's speaking from both sides of your mouth. Have a position and defend it :huh:

All right guys. Let us not turn this thread into a Malkoff vs Surefire. OP is simply telling us that he feels his E2DL is better for throw than his Malkoff M60, and that he is really appreciating his SF lights. Also, you two guys are making disrespectful remarks to each other.

Bill

Stainz

Enlightened
I guess I am in the minority. It started with a great price on a 6P LED last winter - then a Fenix 4 in 1 with the mighty-mite P2D Q5 Premium. I was impressed - especially with the warmth it provided - and as a source of dead CR123s. I found a great price for a new evil-bay 6p - destined for a hyper drop-in. No way - I liked the P60L - got a deal on one at my gun pusher's. Now, essentially, two 6P LEDs. Spring-Summer-now autumn - No new lights. I finally bought a new LED light, an E1B, earlier this month - and one today - the E2DL.

My E1B from the first of the month is nice - dear in cost, but really nice. I wanted an E2DL tailcap for it - no dice, said S-F. Hmmm. Today I returned to the pusher's... and left with that tailcap I wanted. Okay, I had to buy the whole E2DL... WOW!

Okay, it doesn't have the concentric ring around the central spot - it's very slightly off-center (Like the F. P2D, although the Fenix's 'ring' blends into spill better.). Great white color - seems noticeably warmer than the 6P LED - not as warm as the E1B (or P2D), but close. Brighter spot, by far, than the central area of the P2D on turbo - which is supposedly 180L. The Fenix got a brand new battery, too (A common occurence.).

Construction and finish are top drawer. I would rather it came with a Fenix-like sheath in place of the clip, but I wanted the clip off of my E1B the first day I owned it. I loved it from the second day on, of course. I'll wait a day or two before I do anything about the E2DL's clip. I showed it to my wife, who was reading a book in the car as I bought it. "What's the serrated end for?", she quizzed. "To clonk people with if they attack me!", I replied. "Idiot... you carry a gun!". She then spied the price tag - reduced as it was from list (They can legally sell at a 'LEO' price, a S-F rep told me.). Once again, "IDIOT!"... "You paid how much for a flashlight? Idiot!". I lost track how many more times I heard that word in the eighteen minutes it took to get home.

I am not an idiot - I am a retired college instructor. I can make decent informed decisions. This is a great light - as is the E1B. The 6P LEDs have a great home - fantastic car lights. One day, they'll join the drawer full of other LED lights - many Streamlights - mostly 'Twin Tasks'. Some Inova's, too. My wife refers to it as my 'flashlight museum'. But, for now, place me 'at the S-F altar'... and I'll illuminate your mountain!

Stainz

PS I was afraid I wasn't clear... the P60L in the 6P LED makes it a really decent light. I've never seen an M60 equipped light. I love the E1B, and, thus far, the E2DL - great lights. Yeah, the little Fenix has a home - and that TK series still interests me. Fickle?

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Stainz, wish I could pass this up, but darn, how do you handle being called an "Idiot"? I am blessed with a very understanding wife who understands my flashaholicism, and does not disparage me in any way.

Bill