Suggestions on buying the Dereelight DBS

Judgedog

Newly Enlightened
I have been mainly a lurker here on CPF for several years...recently I have decided that I need a big-time LED thrower...and my reading has convinced me that the Dereelight DBS v2 probably best fits my needs.

I will be using CR123s; I don't care about having multi-levels of light (but don't mind having multi-levels); most importantly, I want as much throw as possible.

A few questions:

1) What "pill" or model of the DBS should I get?

2) Where can I purchase the DBS?

3) Should I buy the DBS, or should I wait for the next "throw king" to be crowned?

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide.

Newly Enlightened
The pill you want is the 1SM-1 as it takes 2xCR123.

Purshase at http://www.dereelight.com/dbsv2.htm - will arrive in about 10 days from HK.

Buy it. Tomorrow may never come. If you don't like it, you can sell it in about 15 minutes.

Great light, very impressive.

cal..45

Enlightened
I will be using CR123s; I don't care about having multi-levels of light (but don't mind having multi-levels); most importantly, I want as much throw as possible.

251 said:
The pill you want is the 1SM-1 as it takes 2xCR123.

the problem is, that you never get "as much throw as possible" with CR123's. all CR123 pills run "only" at 1 amp, to get the most out of the DBS you need 18650's which can run at 1.2 amps.

A few questions:

IMO either the 1S or the 3SD, both are 1.2 amps pills, but run only with 18650's.

www.dereelight.com

3) Should I buy the DBS, or should I wait for the next "throw king" to be crowned?

IMO there will be no significant brighter light (this size) in the near future, so I would say buy it. besides, if new improved emitters hit the market, the DBS will be upgradeable.

regards, holger

artec540

Enlightened
I have been mainly a lurker here on CPF for several years...recently I have decided that I need a big-time LED thrower...and my reading has convinced me that the Dereelight DBS v2 probably best fits my needs.

A few questions:

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide.

I recently bought a DBS directly from Dereelight, their e-mail starts with "support" and all my questions were answered quickly and fully by Alan.

If you want to use 2 x 123s, you can use one of three pills, the 1SM-1, the 1 SM-2 or the 3SM. They vary in how many modes they offer. Mine is a 3SD because I wanted to use an 18650. I can't say for sure whether they all offer similar throws but I assume they do and certainly mine has the best throw I've seen from an LED light, especially bearing in mind its size. I also have a Tiablo A 9, a Raidfire Spear (which I've just destroyed by putting RCR 123s in it instead of an 18650, like a bloody fool) and an MRV sk.

The MRV sk was going to be the next wonder thrower but it doesn't beat the DBS, though it is pretty good. The only thing I don't like about the DBS is the rather complicated interface and if I had it to do again, I'd get one with only one mode if there were one available. To further complicate the mode change difficulty is the istructions, which were apparently translated from Chinese via several other languages! The trick is that the change is effected with the light switched off, not with it on.

There will always be "new and improved" lights round the corner, justas there are with computers, cars and everything else. If one waits for the "ultimate" one will never buy anything, so if you want a hell of a thrower, well-made, well-finished and supplied by a company that seems to treat its customers very well, I don't thik you can do any better....... one man's opinion of course, and an inexperienced one, at that.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and I hope you enjoy what you buy!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I don't like about the DBS is the rather complicated interface and if I had it to do again, I'd get one with only one mode if there were one available.

Why not order the 1S pill for use with 18650's? It's 1 mode, on, and off.

1S(1-stage) cree XR-E Q5 Pill
    • Input Range: 2.8~4.2V
    • Output Range: 1.2A
    • Battery Type: 1x18650,1x17670
    • Features:
      • constant output at it's fully input range
      • over discharge protection

artec540

Enlightened
Why not order the 1S pill for use with 18650's? It's 1 mode, on, and off.

1S(1-stage) cree XR-E Q5 Pill
    • Input Range: 2.8~4.2V
    • Output Range: 1.2A
    • Battery Type: 1x18650,1x17670
    • Features:
      • constant output at it's fully input range
      • over discharge protection

For the first time in history, I was ahead of you! I ordered the 1 S last night! I just wish I had ordered the light with the 1 S to start with.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
US Deerelight vendor?

Does anyone know of a US dealer for Deerelight products?
I want to buy a Q2 5a drop in for my 6p.

Al Combs

Enlightened
Re: US Deerelight vendor?

Does anyone know of a US dealer for Deerelight products?
I want to buy a Q2 5a drop in for my 6p.

I don't think there is one. There is a Dealers Tab on the Dereelight page. Seven different countries but not in the US for some reason.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thats too bad. They would make a bundle of cash if they would have a US dealer.

Judgedog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for the replies...I am definitely going to get one. Now, I just need to pick between the 1SM-1 or the 3SM.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think there is one. There is a Dealers Tab on the Dereelight page. Seven different countries but not in the US for some reason.
Maybe if we ask nicely MattK at Battery Junction might start stocking the line.:whistle:

Elduke

Newly Enlightened
I don't have experience with Lithium-Ion batteries (18650) and I know they will catch fire if you do not keep an eye on it. How much more throw will I get if I choose the 1x18650 vs 2 CR123s? Thank you in advance.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't get much more throw with the 18650 vs the CR123. The actual brightness difference between 1 amp and 1.2 amps is negligible. But I would recommend an 18650 anyway.

However using quality, protected 18650s and common sense you should have little to worry about. The catching fire thing includes many things... some were defective laptop cells, cheap Lithium Polymer cells, improperly charged or discharged cells (without good protection circuits), and cheap CR123 primary cells. So from where I stand CR123's aren't any safer than 18650s.

Greyhound

Newly Enlightened

I ordered my DBS V2 online and it arrived 7 or 8 days later -- not too bad.

I just ordered mine tonight. It had me pay through paypal. However, it does not seem to have applied a shipping cost. Am I missing something? Do they apply the cost later, or just none at all?

(I ordered the DBS V2 w/ 3SD Cree XR-E WC Q5 (SMO) w/op and extension tube)

Last edited:

Axion

Enlightened

I just ordered mine tonight. It had me pay through paypal. However, it does not seem to have applied a shipping cost. Am I missing something? Do they apply the cost later, or just none at all?

(I ordered the DBS V2 w/ 3SD Cree XR-E WC Q5 (SMO) w/op and extension tube)

I hope you already knew that you can't use the extension tube with the digital pills because they are only rated up to 4 volts.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Dereelight include worldwide shipping in their price. Some other flashlight manufacturs and dealers does that too.

Greyhound

Newly Enlightened

I hope you already knew that you can't use the extension tube with the digital pills because they are only rated up to 4 volts.

I did not add that I had also ordered the 1SM-1(1-stage multi power) Cree XR-E Q5 Pill (6V max).

My understanding is this is the pill I can use with the extension???