Wife gave green light, now what better light to replace my lost Fenix P2D?

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
After a year of EDC'ing my Fenix P2D led torch, I have lost the thing and have missed its utility for about a week now. I've had enough and it's time to replace it.

I've been looking at the Jetbeam (although which model I don't know), a Fenix P3D, a Novatac 120 and Nitecore's line.

I would like a multi-level light (at least three like Fenix's) as well as a low-low like 1 lumen or so. Also, it has to be at least as bright as the Fenix P2D Rebel 100 and preferably more of a thrower - but not a have to.

If any of you own a Fenix and love it as much as I do, you know what it means to lose one. The flashlight that replaces it has to be as durable, have as easy an interface that's usable and just light my world - pun intended.

Any ideas? I would really like to try a variable light like the Nitecore, but I don't know about them very much. I use RCR123s mainly and also use primaries sometimes during Army trainings which runtime is priority.

Any of you who have these lights and could give personal testimony and pictures (I need to know how large the light is too).

Thanks in advance...
-RC

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I Say definitely go for the 85/120P.

Size Comparison:

DSC03447.jpg

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I've always wanted a Novatac and that might be what I go with, but I really want to look at the other options. I really, really, REALLY liked the P2D, but know there has to be something "better."

So... what is better?

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
So after quite a bit of research and remembering about the Nitecore EX-10 I ordered one along with a Zebra H30 headlamp and some accessories. This light - after watching a YouTube video by the owner of 4-Sevens.com - looks amazing and has every feature I could want with the interface that I needed but didn't know existed until now. I hope it's a well-made light.

Thanks for the suggestions...
RC

Marduke

Flashaholic
The NiteCore EX10 is the smallest light you'll find which will have the brightness variability and compatibility with RCR123's.

But you couldn't go wrong with the P2D replacement, the upcoming Fenix PD20

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could get the P3D and the smaller body tube to make it a P2D. I like the new PD30 however and am looking into getting one of those to add to my collection.

Marduke

Flashaholic
you could get the P3D and the smaller body tube to make it a P2D. I like the new PD30 however and am looking into getting one of those to add to my collection.

The P3D is buck only. It would not work on primaries with a P2D body, and you would very quickly start loosing modes on RCR123's.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The JetBeam Jet-II IBS: same 1x123 form factor as your P2D, but with Mil-Spec anodizing, sapphire crystal lens, 2-225 lumens infinitely variable output, up to 250 with a RCR (that's one 123 cell that's brighter than the two-cell P3D, even just on a primary..), three modes *that you set*, focusable beam (a la the E20, can also be removed entirely for "Mule"/bare emitter use), and it's priced the same as the P2D. I EDC'd P2Ds for several months until I got the Jet, I haven't used a Fenix since. If you're ready for the next step beyond the P2D's design, with a higher high, lower low, better build, and more options, the Jet-II IBS is what you've been looking for.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
First off... what is the difference between the new PD20 and the P2D other than the bezel and squared-off body tube? Are there any performance or interface improvements?

Second question... concerning the Jetbeam Jet-II IBS, is it 225 lumens out the front or is it exaggerated like the P2D was/is? Also, how does it compare to the P2D in runtime - with primaries and RCR123s? Where do I get the Jetbeam and PD20? And lastly, what is the interface like?

Thanks,
RC

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
The PD20 (available at Fenix-Store) isn't out quite yet, so any improvements other than style and a slight brightness level tweak are unknown. The hope is you you might not loose the low modes on RCR123's anymore.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
First off... what is the difference between the new PD20 and the P2D other than the bezel and squared-off body tube?

As far as we know, it has a lower low, but stay tuned for more details.

concerning the Jetbeam Jet-II IBS, is it 225 lumens out the front or is it exaggerated like the P2D was/is? Also, how does it compare to the P2D in runtime - with primaries and RCR123s? Where do I get the Jetbeam and PD20? And lastly, what is the interface like?

The Jet's output is emitter lumens, same as the Fenix. But a narrower-beam 225 lumens looks much brighter than the Fenix's 180.

Runtime-wise, the Fenix is a bit more efficient at the same brightness levels, but the Jet can go far lower, all the way down to 2 lumens, so it can last far longer than any Fenix single-cell (it can last almost as long as the two-cell P3D). Either light won't last quite as long on RCR's, but the Jet gets an over 10% output boost on one, boosting it to 250 lumens.

You can get any Fenix at a great price with free shipping from Fenix-Store (https://www.fenix-store.com/), and JetBeams are available with a CPF member discount over at BugOutGear (http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/index.html)

The Jet's interface is a marvel of simplicity for how much is packed into it - basically it's just three modes that you set to anything you want; any of the three modes can be an output level from 2-225 lumens, or a variety of strobes (1 to 15hz variable), locators (low locator, double flash), and SOSes (low, high). All you do is click the light on, which starts it at the first mode, then soft-press to cycle through the modes. You set a mode by doing a triple-click: the light begins the brightness ramp, and you turn it off when you arrive at the brightness level you want. You can soft click again during the ramp to switch over the to strobe/signals menu, which it cycles through for you to select. It's very quick and intuitive once you get the hang of it (takes less time than it did to read this), and soon the Fenix interface seems awkward and stilted. Setting your own modes and quickly blipping between them spoils you!

jag-engr

Enlightened
Also, it has to be at least as bright as the Fenix P2D Rebel 100 and preferably more of a thrower - but not a have to.

I don't think you will find another multi-level light with the same brightness & throw of a P2D RB100. The P2D Q5 is slightly brighter, but I doubt that it has the same throw as the Rebel.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I don't think you will find another multi-level light with the same brightness & throw of a P2D RB100. The P2D Q5 is slightly brighter, but I doubt that it has the same throw as the Rebel.

Fenix single-cell lights are not good examples of throwers; their reflectors are set up for a good balance of flood and throw, so while they're great general/multi-purpose lights, there are any number of 1x123 models from other manufacturers that can easily outthrow a similar Fenix.

I own a P2D in both the Q5 and R100 variants, and can say that just going by the eye, the Cree is a bit brighter, enough so that it appears to have a slight edge on the Rebel when it comes to throw. But the Jet outthrows either by a huge margin; the combination of a much larger/deeper reflector and more output to a tighter beam puts it in a different league.

For more P2D vs Jet-II, with plenty of photos, check here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202315
and for P2D and Jet-II versus nearly all single cell lights, with lengthy numbers/statistics, check out Selfbuilt's shootout: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201117

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Since I lost my P2D with the Rebel 100 head, I think I'll probably check the PD20 out or maybe even a PD30 out for throw. I'll probably pick up the Jetbeam as well depending on how much I like the EX-10 (although I know they're really different, but I need pocketable).

This makes me wonder though, is there a two-cell 123 light that can use RCR123 cells and is short and pocketable but has decent throw? Would it be the PD30?

Thanks,
RC

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL... i must be really gone with the flashaholism...

The first thought that crossed my mind while reading the subject was:
"Geee! His wife gave him a green light! How nice of her!"

Latest posts