Maglite and reusable batteries

0xcpf

Newly Enlightened
From the maglite manual:

"Do not use rechargeable or reusable alkaline batteries"

This is in bold, so they want to stress this point. Does anyone know why and what the consequences will be if I ignore it ?

Thank you.

Marduke

Flashaholic
They just didn't want to go through the testing to negate any legal liability with using the large variety of rechargable cells.

Go ahead and use them, you won't hurt anything.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nimh is all I use in my magled 4d and it hasn't given me any problems.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Maglight had written do not use alkaline rechargeable or alkaline reuseable batteries than I think their statement would have made a lot more sense.

The rechargeable alkalines also called reuseable alkalines are garbage. But I think the warning is that under continued use with a real filament lamp drawing over an amp, that they will get to the point where they will leak and eat up the inside of the flashlight faster than what you would think regular alkalines would do and they are probably getting tired of giving away free flashlights.

I don't know if any one still bothers to make the so called rechargeable alkalines, I had some for a while with the special charge they took and they were total Cr@pola.

Nickel Metal Hydride is no problem.

0xcpf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks much for your comments.

I was planning to use rechargeable NiMH.

Albinoni

Banned
I use Eneloops in my Minimaglite LED and have never had any probs what so ever, certainly performs far better than any Alkaline thats for sure. I would of thought Mag Instruments would of had a the brains to work this out, but obviously not.