idea for a light, need advice

SColly

Newly Enlightened
so i have been looking for a light for a while and came across these forums, i already have a p3d but want something with a bit more um, weight...

my idea was this, a 2 mode light, mode switch via unscrewing the head, but here is where it gets interesting

I want to be able to adjust each stage as i see fit, im thinking running 2 drivers for the one led, the first adjustable from say 1 - 150 lumens and the second between 100- 500 lumens, this would be achieved via 2 trimpots on the PCB near the battery contact, to adjust you unscrew the head completely.

secondly the light needs to be able to put out 500 lumens for at least 3 hours

third it needs to be able to sit on the dash of a hot car in 35 degree heat without the cells exploding, so safe lithium, possibly a123 cells, this would require 3 or 4 26650 cells, this size is good too as it can be gripped well without the bulk of a D cell light

fourth the optics need to be interchangeable, possibly by having a bezel that unscrews allowing access through the front of the head or simply through the use of a clip on diffuser

the purpose of this light will be as a maglite replacement, physical size is not much of an issue, however long runtime and a high output are, as well as ruggedness, i want a wide beam for blackouts/working on a car on the side of the road/changing tyres etc, as well as throw, it needs the runtime for when there is a blackout and i want to light up a large room reasonably well for an entire night on one set of batteries, and be sturdy enough to use as a hammer for tent pegs while camping ( not really, thats what my angle head 'army' torch is for....)

would it make sense to try and mod a maglite, would anyone on these forums be able to make me something like this, is there anything on the market already that is pretty close?

tl;dr
2 stage
500 lumens
3 hours
solid as a brick
safe lithium