My Fenix E20, TK20 beamshots and runtimes

Chao

Enlightened
Share my Fenix TK20 and E20 beamshots and runtimes :), they are nice 2AA lights:twothumbs
TK20-4.jpg

Lux readings at 1 meter:
E20: 3320 lux
TK20: high 6380 lux, low 1850 lux

Beamshots (10 m) minimag, L2D-Q5, E20, TK10, TK20 (all using alkaline batteries)
maglite10m.jpg
MiniMag2AA as control:D
L2DQ5-10m.jpg
E20Q210m.jpg

TK10-10m.jpg
TK20-hi10m.jpg

E20 with different focuses, beamshots were taken at 5m distance
E20Q25m.jpg
E20medium.jpg
E20flood.jpg

Low level, TK10 vs TK20 (the tint of TK20 in low level may not revealed well in the picture, however the side by side beamshot can see the difference)
TK10-low10m.jpg
TK20-lo10m.jpg
TK10vs20-low.jpg

Runtimes
E20-runtime.jpg

TK20-runtime.jpg

There is an excellent E20 review by selfbuilt https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205501
and also this tread has lots of TK20 informations https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205800

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Very nice information.It confirmed with my opinion of this light.Great throw and good lux readings.Can't say enough good things about this light especially for a woods light.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics and runtimes Chao! Good work.

The E20 looks so small and feeble compared to the TK20!:devil:

BTW. I assume that the E20 beamshot was taken with the head focussed at the max throw setting?

Thanks.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW. I assume that the E20 beamshot was taken with the head focussed at the max throw setting?

Yes, it would be nice to see the same picture with wide focus.

Thanks for the review :twothumbs

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Chao for your great pictures and runtime-graphs!
The difference of the color-cast between the TK10 and TK20 is significant.
Maybe you could complete the pictures by showing as well the beam of the Mini Maglite? A comparison between the 2AA Mini Maglite and the 2AA E20 would be a great example of the tremendeous progress in the evolution of flashlights since 20 years.
E20 is like a modern version of the Mini Maglite with similar size and function, but with a brightness quite comparable to a Maglite 4D.
Also, the brightness is constant during hours, while the Mini Maglite has a halving after half an hour or so. Who could imagine that evolution 20 years ago?...

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

Chao

Enlightened
A comparison between the 2AA Mini Maglite and the 2AA E20 would be a great example of the tremendeous progress in the evolution of flashlights since 20 years.
E20 is like a modern version of the Mini Maglite with similar size and function, but with a brightness quite comparable to a Maglite 4D.
Also, the brightness is constant during hours, while the Mini Maglite has a halving after half an hour or so. Who could imagine that evolution 20 years ago?...

Regards, Patric

Thanks everyone!
I just add the MingMag2AA beamshot in the #1 post:)

and the E20 beamshot was taken with head focused, I will take the picture with wild focus later.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chao!

The difference between Mini Maglite and Fenix E20 is just tremendeous. When Mini Maglite was introduced the first time, it was considered as a very bright flashlight for it's size. I think the Maglite 2D as well was very strong for a 2D flashlight. When I nowadays try my old Maglite 2D with fresh cells and the standard kryptonbulb, I just think: "did I really considered this flashlight as bright?". In comparison to even the Fenix LOD it feels yellow and boring...

Regards, Patric

cbubu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Chao!!!
Your pictures are great ! the comparison with the MiniMag is impressive :)
Regards,

squaat

Newly Enlightened
Hey Chao,

Thanks for the great beam shots.

Now I'm tossing up between a tk20 and an e20. I want something with more throw than my L2D Q5. I've bought at tk20 for a friend (so I had to test it out) and I was blown away by the throw (throws further than my MAG 2D Terralux drop in bulb, by a long shot)

So how does the e20 stack up to the tk20 in terms of throw? Is it still quite respectable when compared to a full sized MagLED ?

How useful is the e20 on flood? In practice I rarely focus my mag to flood (probably due to the mega donut hole), do you find that you use your e20 on flood? if not why?

Perhaps I should get both.... :naughty:

(BTW I was shocked how much difference the tint of the TK20 makes, even indoors! :twothumbs)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chao! I always look forward to your reviews. I have one of these on the way, and look forward to seeing how it performs myself.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should give you my modded MiniMag for a beamshot... :eek:

The LED comes from a german modder, I know that it is a Cree, but do't know which one. he reflector goes out, a special lens is put before the front glas (plastic...).

The beam is a quite white wall, compared to the L4 it's of course not so bright, seems flushy and has a yellow edge. The price was about 33 euros, so, if you already have the MiniMag, you can mod it for fun, but today you get brighter flashlights for about the same price. I bought the modules before I knew CPF and that there are so many flashlights out there. In Luxembourg you hardly see any lights around in shops... :confused:

As for the shown beamshots, I'm happy I've taken the TK10, it has a purple tint but I think I preffer it to the new tint in the TK20.

Chao

Enlightened
These are E20 with different focuses, beamshots were taken at 5m distance, E20 it self has good side spill already when well focused, I don't see the big difference of spill changed in different focus levels, however, I found the total output (ceiling bounce test ) was a little decreased when out of focus.
E20Q25m.jpg
E20medium.jpg
E20flood.jpg