Fitorch        

Thread: Looking for burning in my hands

Default Looking for burning in my hands

I just found this forum and wow this is a great site. This is my first post and I have a question that hopefully there is a flashlight out there that will satisfy my needs with the following criteria. I am looking for a light that uses Duracell Ultra 123 Lithium batteries(I have an endless supply) and can be handheld(flashlight) and has an extreme amount of candlepower so that it is burning in my hands. I am currently looking at getting the Surefire M6 Guardian and wondering if there is anything better? Thanks for any recommendations.

Default Re: Looking for burning in my hands

What are you going to use the light for?

Do you want the light itself to get hot enough to burn your hands(easy, just get a tube that can short out the batteries)? Or do you just want a really bright light.

What's your price range? How do you define "better"?

May I suggest the Surefire Beast or Beast II ?

I am sure it would satisfy your need extreme brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    I am looking for a light that uses Duracell Ultra 123 Lithium batteries(I have an endless supply)
    I think I fainted. I'm OK now. I think that's better than a money tree in the back yard!

WELCOME TO CPF

Bill
    Last edited by Hitthespot; 09-21-2008 at 10:42 AM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

Flashaholic*

Have you seen the Surefire Arclights?

Thank you for the recommendations of the Beast and Arclights. I am a total noob to this and didn't realize that a flashlight could command 4900.00 I am diffinately in the wrong business. I bought the M6 with 500 lumens and would love to get something with 1000-1500 but in a price range under $500.00 Thanks again for the recommendations
    Last edited by Fat Boy; 09-22-2008 at 08:34 AM.

Flashaholic*

Perhaps you should take a look at the MicroFire HID line of flashlights.

Microfire Warrior III K3500R 35W / 3500 Lumen HID Rechargable

Flashaholic*

Go check out the incan portion of our forums, there's plenty of ideas for "hotwire" builds. You can build a 4000 lumen light for a minimal investment, definately under $500.
    List of flashlights that used to be here has been removed (by me) to save our search function. NOW USE IT.

I personally think that an SF M6 with the high-output lamp would be pretty sweet if you have an endless supply of 123's.

If you don't mind me asking, how does one come into possession of a CR123-bearing tree ?

If batteries are not an issue, then sure...the M6 is a CR123 top fuel car. You'll even have your choice of 3 difference Surefire bulbs if you find the 20 minute run-time of the MN21 bulb is not sufficient.

Super Moderator

Are these batteries completely new and unused, or have they been partly used?
    Resistance is futile...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how does one come into possession of a CR123-bearing tree ?
    I think it's a bush actually. Just plant the used 123s in the ground, give them plenty of light, and in a couple of months you'll get... currents!
    Gladius; SF E1e+Veleno 2x E2e+Veleno, G3+9vLED, G2L, 9P+FM34+Z49/HO9/EO9; Fenix L2T, P1DCE, P2DCE, P3DCE, L2DCE, P2D R100, P3D R100, T1 SMO; HDS Rotary; Mini-Mag AA+TLux 5W,Mag 2D+TLux 5W, 6D; LegionII MCE; Nitecore Extrm; Novatac 120P; Solaforce L2+Thurnite XM-L; Zebralight H30-Q5&H60

^^^^

That was good
    What's the difference between a lawn mower and a bagpipe? You can tune a lawn mower.

The M6 isn't a bad choice for unlimited CR123 batteries.

If you don't mind LEDs, something from here could work too. Along with something here.

If you don't mind modding, you might be able to make a few hotwires with a Maglite.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    Thank you for the recommendations of the Beast and Arclights. I am a total noob to this and didn't realize that a flashlight could command 4900.00

Super Moderator

The reason I asked in post #12 whether these batteries were new and unused is because some medical and scientific equipment uses CR123A cells, and the operators discard them after a short time to ensure they are always using fresh ones.

If these cells have been partly used in this way, they will probably have plenty of life left in them and they can certainly be used in lights, BUT great care should be taken to match them for capacity when using them in multi-cell lights.

A ZTS or similar pulse-discharge tester is a fairly good way to match Lithium primary cells, but it is not foolproof.

Circumstances could arise where one cell becomes completely discharged before the others and is then reverse-charged - and this can cause a violent reaction known as "venting with flame" (in other words, an explosion).

These events are fortunately rare, but they are dramatic and dangerous when they occur. People often talk about the danger of Li-Ion rechargeable cells, but there have actually been more incidents reported involving Lithium primaries, and all of them due to either poor-quality or mismatched cells. You say that your source is for Duracell Ultra cells, so poor quality can be ruled out, but if they are mismatched you could have a problem.

You will be absolutely fine using them in single-cell lights, but you should certainly get yourself a ZTS if you intend to use them in multi-cell applications. And there are some high-drain lights which push CR123A cells to the absolute limit, in which I would recommend you absolutely do NOT use them. The Surefire M6 is one such.

I think I will now move this thread to the batteries section, where it really belongs. If you could elaborate on the condition of these cells, it will help people to advise you.

Welcome to CPF!
    Resistance is futile...

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    The reason I asked in post #12

A ZTS or similar pulse-discharge tester is a fairly good way to match Lithium primary cells, but it is not foolproof.

pulse-discharge tester?what is it or can you tell me where to get it?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by glock17 View Post
    pulse-discharge tester?what is it or can you tell me where to get it?
    For some chemistries, (for example Li-Ion rechargeable) voltage is an accurate way to measure the state of charge, but not for Lithium Primaries. A CR123A cell can still read 3.0 volts even when it is practically empty.

The ZTS tester puts the cell under a brief pulsed load and tests the cellís output under that load, giving an approximate measurement. This is the most reliable way to test Lithium primaries and some other chemistries where a voltage reading by itself will tell you little. There are other testers which do much the same thing, but ZTS are well regarded here. This page at Lighthound shows the ZTS range.
    Resistance is futile...