INOVA T5 TIROS P7 OR R5 LED UPGRADE

LIGHTSMAD

Enlightened
i have a inova t5 tiros quite a while now...i think it maybe lacking in performance, compared to some of the new led's, becoming available, is there an option to mod this? possibly SSC P7 led, or am i better off waiting for the new cree's R5's ect. it runs on 3xcr123a's.

1 what

Enlightened
Given the diameter of the Inova head I'd go for the new CREE rather than the P7. You'll get much more throw that way as the LED end of the optics is not designed to fit the much larger P7. You will probably want to use the Inova driver since it is not at all easy to extract it and it will power the Cree much better than the P7. Heat considerations are also easier with the Cree. Also if you haven't already done it read up (on CPF) re opening the Inova T5....I've done it and in many cases it's not easy and might result in some deep scars in that lovely barrell. Looking forward to seeing what you decide. Good luck!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Trios would require you to use a Luxeon TFFC K2 or an SSC P4 to upgrade it. A Cree wont fit and won't work even if you did make it fit. A P7 also won't fit into the trios and likely won't give a good beam pattern either.

I'm not sure if anyone has sucessfully freeze popped a T5 or not, so I'm not sure how one would get in there to mod it in the first place.

(on a final note top crees are Q5 or R2... there's no R5, but it will be a happy day if Cree ever releases an R5 flux bin.)

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I destroyed a perfectly good T5 with the Tiros trying to get it apart. Got the optic out but the chip and the board were still not accessible. Unless you have done some major degluing work on it and have it in pieces you will find its not worth the trouble. The P7 will not fit under the optic's opening anyway.

Latest posts