Need help deciding on EDC: Incendio vs P2D vs EX10

telekinetic

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the market for a 1xCR123A. I'm currently favoring a clicky, but flexible if the rest of my requirements can be met. Priorities are:

1. Smooth Floody beam (I already have a Tiablo if I need throw) for general purpose illumination
2. Small Size for front jeans pocket EDC
3. Multi mode...I don't care about medium or infinite, just a nice long runtime low and a decently bright high. Needs to have pretty simple UI so I can hand it to the wife without a 5 minute operations lecture.
4. Run time on primaries

I care way more about color and beam quality than small irrelevant differences in lumens/lux...right now I'm leaning towards the Incendio (V2!) due to its rumored floody beam and size. Anyone have any input that will talk me into something else? Price is a factor, so staying in the neighborhood of $50 is best, but I'm willing to stray quite a bit north of that if there is something out there that is stricly better.

TIA

Frank A.

Newly Enlightened
I have the Incendio and the P2d. I carry the Incendio in jeans on the weekend and in my right breast suit coat pocket to the office each day because of its small built-in clip and very small size. This C123 light is tiny, tiny. Its beam compared to the P2d is smoother and warmer with more flood. The UI couldn't be simpler: low-med-high, with a memory. The low is 7 lumens with 35 hours of runtime, according to Lumapower. The P2d on Turbo is significantly brighter, but you said that doesn't matter as much to you. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Regards,
Frank A.

telekinetic

Newly Enlightened
Frank,

Thanks for the quick response! The fact that someone with both the P2D and Incendio EDC's the Incendio is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for!

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
I own all three of those lights, Incendio, P2D, EX10. I carry the EX10 far more often than the Incendio, which in turn is carried far more than the P2D. Only the EX10 and the Incendio can use RCR123's. So if you ever want to use rechargeable 3.6V Li-Ion cells and have your light operate correctly, then exclude the P2D from your list. I favor the EX10 now because it has the lowest low setting out of all three of the aforementioned lights.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a P2D, and used to owned a D10. The D10 is the same as the EX10, but with AAs and shorter runtime. The D10 a had Golden Dragon LED which made the beem very smooth and even. I like the D10 inside, but not outside. The lack of a well defined hot spot made it hard to see far away. It also made it harder to see when using very low power levels. I sold the D10 and kept the P2D.

naked2

Enlightened
I have the EX10 Q5, and it's currently my favorite :grin2: EDC. Before I got it, I wasn't a real fan of "low" settings. But the EX10's low low:candle: has got me hooked! The instant-access of super low and max works perfect for me.

I love the clickless PD, mastered it within five minutes of powering up the light, and I like the momentary (by unscrewing the head) option. I don't use the variable at all, so the lack of memorization doesn't bother me in the least; but that's just me, NiteCore just happened to pick the perfect high and low for my taste.:D

The P2D was my first quality, bright, LED flashlight I ever owned; I liked its UI with instant access to turbo and strobe (although I don't miss strobe on the EX10 at all). I say I liked it because I had to return it due to all levels except turbo and strobe burning out :( after continuous use of Li Ions. Lighthound refunded me after almost a year of use- no questions asked; thanks John! :wave:

Because of this experience, I'll never buy another light that isn't fully compatible with Li Ions on ALL levels.

I bought the IncenDio and hated the psuedo foreward clicky, which was hard to operate with my big fat thumb. I was disappointed with its brightness compared to my old P2D CE (P4), and I don't use clips, so I hated that it couldn't be removed (changed on V2?). Three strikes:thumbsdow, it was out! Battery Junction exchanged it for an Olight T10 Q5 '08, and like Lighthound- no questions asked; thanks Matt! :wave:

I still like my Olight; as a matter of fact I bought a T15 body and bored it out to fit 17500s for a much better run-time, but with the arrival of my Ex10, the olight takes a back seat!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all three and I definitely favor the Incendio because of its nice tint that resembles the sunlight and of its simple UI. The low level is low enough for me. :grin2:

With the P2D when I am in a hurry I often end up with the dreaded SOS or strobe and I have to fight the temptation to throw the light at a wall. :devil:

The EX10 has a clever UI but a rather ringy beam. :whistle:

telekinetic

Newly Enlightened
Man, I've got a wicked case of confirmation bias when reading this thread. Somehow I've read everyones input and still really want the Incendio, even though more than half of you prefer the EX10.

Actually, saying I still want to get an Incendio is not totally accurate. Now I want to buy an Incendio and an EX10, too! :laughing:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to carry a P2D until I got an EX10 Cree Q5, now I EDC the EX10 GD+. The Incendio didn't seem to offer anything over the P2D or EX10, so I never bothered with it.

jag-engr

Enlightened
For a simpler UI, get an L1T v2.0 and a spare P2D body & tailcap. Put the L1T/L2T head onto the P2D body and put the clicky switch from the L1T into the P2D tailcap. You have a P2T!

The Q2 Cree is slightly brighter and considerably more floody than the RB80, but the RB80 has better color and more throw.

The cost will be more than $50, though, unless you can find the parts on CPF MP.

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
i have an ex10 gdp. i really like the looks and specs of the incendio. can someone who has an incendio and any ex10 answer the following for me-

which is lighter in weight, or is the difference negligible?

how is the feel of the rubber button on the incendio?
is it novata
c like?

the cree and gdp ex10 and the incendio are all allegedly 130 lumens- is there a noticeable difference between the ex10s and the incendio?

how do the runtimes compare on high using primaries?

thanks all!

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
on sale for about $35 the Incendio is a great value. The build, and ease of operation and included holster make this a cherished 2008 addition to my collection.

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to say that I don't own a p2d or ex10 but I do have and incendio which I love. It has a straight forward UI and plenty of light when you need it.

The clip is ok. It's holster takes a little getting used to. Runtime is as stated I use mine on average 2hrs a week mostly on med. I change my Battery about once a month.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Aloha

bee-man

Newly Enlightened
In a similar boat. I carry a P2D Q2 and really wanted to try the EX10 GD+.

I know the EX10 GD+ beam is nicer, but is the overall output noticeably brighter than my P2D Turbo? Sorry for jacking...

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
My InscenDio arrived with a damaged emitter. It put out full flood. Evidently there is air under the lens.

IMG_2094.jpg

Pressing in the button is unacceptably difficult. You have to press deeper and deeper until finally it engages, kinda like trying to poke your finger through tight plastic wrap over a quarter inch. Your digit needs to go inside the light.

The machining+finish of the flashlight in person was poor, like a DX/KD cheapie. The GID button was milky off-green and translucent, looks cheap. The metal ring around the button was all scratched up. The pocket clip leaves skid marks on the finish.

I couldn't believe this came from LumaPower. Matt K graciously took it back, I didn't want to see another.

Consider rechargeables: Instead of the EX10, you could also consider a D10 with 14500. I don't have both lights, just the D10 GD+. But based on runtime it seems the EX10 on RCR is outperformed by a D10 with 14500, both in output and runtime. Plus, you can fall back to AA's if needed (NiMH, Lithium Primary, Alkaline). I have no problem fitting the D10 in my jeans change pocket, although a P2D is easier to slide in there.

Somebody posted a damaged EX10. It seems to keep an narrow profile, they are machining the threads very close to the metal thickness. The D10 appears to be a little thicker.

The NiteCores have an excellent finish, feel good in the hand, and the PD system works great. You also have a more durable tail button, rubber boots can tear.

The only negative to a P2D is the mismatched finish and the length of time turbo mode is available until it drops to lower output. Get black, that takes care of the mismatch. Using RCR123 might give you longer turbo, but other modes don't work from what I understand. Of all the lights, I would expect the P2D to be bulletproof. I have never experienced or seen major failures posted here (though I haven't always been around).

Compared to the P2D that's been around, the Nitecore D10 is only slightly longer. It appears the new P2D might have grown longer, so they are probably the same size. That's impressive that a AA light is hardly bigger than a CR123 light.

Last edited:

Xak

Enlightened
Love my Amilite T5. Simple low - high - off. 140 lumens max for about an hour, 15 lumens on low for about 4 hours. The beam is beautiful, smooth and floody.

You may want to try the NovaTac 120T as well.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the thoughtful comments EngrPaul. I'm also considering the EX10 or D10 and your post helps. :thumbsup:

(Of course in CPF tradition, I have to buy both and test for myself. :D)

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to get a D10 and use a 14500, I'd get a Q5, not a Golden Dragon LED. The GD turns too blue with the 14500. With other batteries the GD has a nice warm color.