2 Cree L1s - 2 Different Beams

tsl

Enlightened
I just bought my 2nd Cree L1, and its beam is quite different than my first L1. L1 #1 has a slightly diffused lens, while the lens on #2 is clear. Do I have an issue here on #2, or is this quite normal for the L1?

L1 #1 (slightly diffused lens)
dscf2817re5.jpg

L1 #2 (clear lens)
dscf2818el8.jpg

L1 #1 on left / L1 #2 on right
dscf2826lq2.jpg

#1 has a nice round hotspot, while #2 looks lopsided. Any idea on what is wrong? It's too bad, because I like the tint on #2, and the anodizing is a nice match.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The tint looks warmer from the photos and I really don't see it being to much lopsided. Even if it was a little bit off I don't think that would matter in the field. Think the better tint is what matters. But I am no expert on anything.

lumenal

Enlightened
There are no absolutes in LED flashlights...even while comparing identical models.

There are different tints, brightnesses, beam patterns, variances among emitters, etc.

Centering emitters behind an optic is no easy task.

If the light doesn't meet your approval in real world use, send it back to Surefire.

tsl

Enlightened
Funny, I found the same thing between my two L1s after getting my 2nd recently. Check out my thread here....

I'm not concerned about the tint variation on my two. Neither of them are green.

It's just that #1 has a nice centered ball of light, while #2 seems to be off kilter. Do you think it's an issue of LED centering or the much greater frosting/diffusion on #1?

scottaw

Enlightened
Just don't use them both beside each other at the same time and you'll be fine. :grin2: Seroiusly though, both those beams look perfectly acceptable, use them outside and i'm sure it will be fine, i doubt Surefire would even exchange a light for something like this.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just that #1 has a nice centered ball of light, while #2 seems to be off kilter. Do you think it's an issue of LED centering or the much greater frosting/diffusion on #1?

It's a centering issue. I've got a KX2 which I used to swear had a perfectly clear window. After owning it for some time, I finally realized it DOES have a very light diffusion film on it. It's just really tough to see the film. And yes, my KX2 is slightly off center too. It sucks, but that's the way they are.

litetube

Enlightened
Why did SF go to a lighter diffusion on the window?
Maybe they thought though it made for a more even "cleaner" beam BUT it was counteracting the purpose of the TIROS which is to throw light very far (which it does very well) so they backed off on the diffuions a bit on later models?
It is true that it was orginally much heavier and easier to see.
#2 is definitley a bit lopsided. I dont know if that would bother me or not, I think it might. For the price of these lights it really borders on unacceptable to me. I had a SF with 2 big scratches on the TIROS inside. Didnt really affect the beam but looking at them all the time on a new light bothered me. I exchanged it and am happy now, no scratches. Should have been caught by QC but they do slip thru it seems.
True you wont notice it mostly in use but it is kind of like getting a new sports car from the dealer and realizing as you drive it away that it is out of alignment. I would send it back for replacement myself.
(I own and like SF lights and am not trying to bash them