Anyone get a Brightstar Razor or PT Amp 3.0 or 4.0?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just wandering around Brightguy's new product list and saw these lights. I know they've been out a few months or so, but don't remember seeing anyone's first person account of either/any of them.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Razor a month or two back. I was hoping for something along the lines of an updated SL ProPoly Luxeon 4AA, but no such luck. Other than the Razor requiring one less cell, the SL ProPoly is still better in every way. The Razor isn't a bad light, just underwhelming.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Razor a month or two back. I was hoping for something along the lines of an updated SL ProPoly Luxeon 4AA, but no such luck. Other than the Razor requiring one less cell, the SL ProPoly is still better in every way. The Razor isn't a bad light, just underwhelming.

In what ways?

:popcorn:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
"better in every way" isn't descriptive enough? ;) It's not really accurate either...

BrightStar Razor vs. Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon comparison highlights:

• The Razor is made of nylon with a one piece head/body and screw-on tailcap. The ProPoly is made of polymer with a screw-on bezel retaining the LED/reflector module.
  • The ProPoly has a forward clicky on the tail, and it's always felt a little awkward for me to use. The Razor has a reverse clicky on the side, just below the head.
  • The ProPoly houses a Lux I, and the Razor a SSC P9.
  • Both lights have smooth reflectors. The Razor's reflector appears to be roughly 25-33% wider and deeper.
  • The Razor requires 3 AA's, and the ProPoly 4 AA's.
  • Both lights can accept (and run on) Eneloops, but they're very snug in the Razor.
  • The ProPoly is regulated, and according to the description at BrightGuy, the Razor is not.
  • The Razor is slightly wider and longer than the ProPoly, but overall they are very similar in dimensions.
  • Loaded with alkaline cells, the Razor weighs 5.9 oz and the ProPoly 7.8 oz.
  • The Razor has a very intense hot spot, and very little spill. The ProPoly's has a much wider hot spot, and significantly more spill.
  • To my eye, throw appears similar, but the amount of light pollution in my neighborhood is pretty high, so take that opinion with a grain of salt. Regardless, the hot spot from the ProPoly is 2-3 times wider than the Razor, so I find the ProPoly more useful as a thrower.
  • The ProPoly has decent spill and the Razor does not.
  • In a ceiling bounce test, the ProPoly appears to be significantly brighter than the Razor.
  • I've read a few reports of ProPoly's shattering from high falls, and the Razor's switch is better protected from impacts, so if I were to speculate, I'd guess the Razor can probably withstand more abuse.
  • The ProPoly is slightly more comfortable for me to carry, but the Razor's body has (for lack of a better description) a less smooth design and a slightly flared tail, so it's easier to hold on to.
I'd love to add runtime info for the Razor, but I don't have it, nor the equipment to measure it accurately.

Overall the Razor's not bad. I actually really like the nylon body and the position of the side switch. But it just doesn't put out much light, and what little light there is is concentrated into too small an area. If I didn't have either light, I'd spend the extra $7 and get the ProPoly.

PS... I was checking out the PT Amps at REI today. Very interesting! I wish they had open box models to try out.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that speaks more of continued greatness of the ProPoly Lux.

I have no problem with the amount of light produced by the Razor. If the runtime was high enough, I'd be just fine with it. It's the extremely concentrated beam and direct driven by alkaline AA's that are the problems for me.

I'm not going to buy a PT Amp right away, but I'll definitely be watching for reviews or impressions. The 3.0 model with the 4x 5mm Nichia DS and the 5.0 model with the 4x Nichia + one Rebel are particularly intriguing. I have little faith that the latter is a Rebel 100 driven at 350mA or more, but one can dream.... (overgrown LunaSol 20 for the masses).

ginaz

Enlightened
odd to me that a newer model has come out with a rebel. i was under the impression that the rebel had been ditched?

Latest posts