Inova X03: Decent flashlight?

shomie911

Enlightened
I just bought an Inova X03.

There's not much information on this light on CPF.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the new 82 lumen TIROS version?

Can it take 17670s?

Thanks.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 82 lumen trios version is a few years old... definitely not new. It was a great light back in it's day. I love mine, but it doesnt get any use now that newer lights are so much brighter AND longer running.
17670s are hit and miss in inovas... very tight squeeze, but it may be able to fit one in there. Depends where you got your 17670.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually have one that my friend left at my house. Seems like a pretty decent light to me, but overpriced. The output is better than advertised IMHO, its as bright as my fenix e20, i think, its hard to tell because of different tints. Incidentally I kinda like its tint, its a bit yellowy, but its quite warm and provides nice color, also great beam pattern. The runtime seems a little short though for something that uses cr123's.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the X03 Reflector Version, and I like it because it has a smooth beam transition and a kind of soft light. It actually looks quite good out doors. The lumens are not up to the current generation lights, but it is still quite nice to use from time to time, and still impresses others as a loaner.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tiros version is nowhere near 82 lumens and is the older model. I'd estimate it at 40 lumens. Even the new XO3 was never upgraded to the TFFC K2 l.e.d.. It uses an older K2 l.e.d. that is 2-3 times less efficient (as the newer one). An Inova T1-MP would be much better than the Tiros XO3. 100 real lumens (Inova started using an integrating sphere to test lumens) and over 4 hours regulated for about $50. The only good thing about your XO3 is that the build quality is excellent. That inefficient light will be going through batteries fairly quickly and cost a fortune in batteries for years. Seriously, you can now go to Walmart and get a light that is three times as bright and runs longer on AAs for $25. I hope you didn't pay too much for the light. Don't get me wrong. It's a great, tough, reliable, well built light. There are just better, cheaper options available now.

shomie911

Enlightened
The Tiros version is nowhere near 82 lumens and is the older model. I'd estimate it at 40 lumens. Even the new XO3 was never upgraded to the TFFC K2 l.e.d.. It uses an older K2 l.e.d. that is 2-3 times less efficient (as the newer one). An Inova T1-MP would be much better than the Tiros XO3. 100 real lumens (Inova started using an integrating sphere to test lumens) and over 4 hours regulated for about $50. The only good thing about your XO3 is that the build quality is excellent. That inefficient light will be going through batteries fairly quickly and cost a fortune in batteries for years. Seriously, you can now go to Walmart and get a light that is three times as bright and runs longer on AAs for $25. I hope you didn't pay too much for the light. Don't get me wrong. It's a great, tough, reliable, well built light. There are just better, cheaper options available now.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/inx03flblbow.html

Battery Junction has a X03 rated at 82 lumens and has a TIROS optic. So I'm not sure about what you said.

Either way I got the X03 and an older X5 for $42 shipped.

Not that bad of a deal.

I also have 3.0V Rechargeables that I have used in all my non-rechargeable compatible LED lights and they've done fine, so no money wasted on batteries here.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova stopped producing lights with the Tiros several generations of lights ago now. I have the older X03 with the Tiros and love it, but it is not 80 plus lumens I am sure. I carry one in each vehicle.

shomie911

Enlightened
Inova stopped producing lights with the Tiros several generations of lights ago now. I have the older X03 with the Tiros and love it, but it is not 80 plus lumens I am sure. I carry one in each vehicle.

Well I have plenty of other lights so if worst comes to worst I guess I can make it my car light.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.batteryjunction.com/inx03flblbow.html

Battery Junction has a X03 rated at 82 lumens and has a TIROS optic. So I'm not sure about what you said.

Either way I got the X03 and an older X5 for $42 shipped.

Not that bad of a deal.

I also have 3.0V Rechargeables that I have used in all my non-rechargeable compatible LED lights and they've done fine, so no money wasted on batteries here.

Go to the link in post 3. It has the review of the exact light you bought. Go down to overall output in the review. It says 2850 or 28.5. Take 28.5 and multiply it by 1.43 and you get a rough estimate in lumens. It comes to 40.775 lumens. The light you ordered is not 82 lumens. Inova's older lights were way overstated in lumens. That's why the second generation X03 went to rating it in watts instead. Now, the only Inova lights in current production that are rated in lumens are the T series lights. These lights use the newest, most efficient Lumileds K2 l.e.d.s and are the only lights made by Inova that are accurately rated in lumens. They are accurately rated now because Inova tested them using an integrating sphere, an expensive device that accurately measures light output in lumens. Before these newer T series lights, Inova just guessed at the overall output of their lights. They were often way off.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I have plenty of other lights so if worst comes to worst I guess I can make it my car light.

You make itsound like a place of dishonor, being a car light I consider i far from that. I want a very reliable good light for my vehicles, and the X03 is pocketable, and has good throw which are all bonus for me. I also have a number of the old X0 Tiros lights, another big favorite of mine.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Its a common miss-conception that brighter is by default better. IMHO that cant be farthest from the truth. Color tint, build quality/robustness, adequate light for the task, manufacturer warranty/support (in my book) are all performance elements that are more important than raw Lumen output.

They may have over-rated it... but still 40 Lumens is more than enough light for most tasks in near darkness. Especially if its a warm color tint, smooth beam or long running between recharges.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using it as a car light would actually be the best use for it. Even 40 lumens is bright enough for almost all tasks. Gives you plenty of light to change a tire, signal for help, or walk to the nearest call box. It has a reliable twisty switch and takes lithium batteries so you can leave it in the car for 9+ years. It would probably survive being run over by a car. I wasn't trying to say that it's a bad light. I use my XO2s as car lights. I just wanted to get across that there are better (more efficient), cheaper l.e.d. lights available that can give you much more bang for your buck out of those expensive lithium batteries. Now, if you use it as an emergency light and don't use a lot of batteries in it, it will be a great light. My XO2s have survived some extreme heat I would never expose my Fenix lights to.

shomie911

Enlightened
Using it as a car light would actually be the best use for it. Even 40 lumens is bright enough for almost all tasks. Gives you plenty of light to change a tire, signal for help, or walk to the nearest call box. It has a reliable twisty switch and takes lithium batteries so you can leave it in the car for 9+ years. It would probably survive being run over by a car. I wasn't trying to say that it's a bad light. I use my XO2s as car lights. I just wanted to get across that there are better (more efficient), cheaper l.e.d. lights available that can give you much more bang for your buck out of those expensive lithium batteries. Now, if you use it as an emergency light and don't use a lot of batteries in it, it will be a great light. My XO2s have survived some extreme heat I would never expose my Fenix lights to.

Like I said before I do have 3.0V rechargeables so batteries are never a problem. I also have a nice little supple of CR123A primaries.

I'm going to be keeping it after hearing how durable Inovas are. I'm a sucker for a dependable tool. It will probably be relegated to car duty but I can see using it out of the house every once in a while with the rechargeables.

It's also a very non-threatening flashlight, I doubt the TSA would have a problem with the X03, my Olight M20 Warrior on the other hand... :D

It looks like what people would expect a flashlight would look like.

I took my Gladius on a few trips and the TSA people always loved to take it out and ask why I had it. Most were usually impressed by it, but it was annoying when you have a flight leaving soon. :laughing:

The X03 looks just boring enough to not warrant any questions. :thumbsup:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XO3 will also work great for caving or any other task that will destroy flashlights that aren't as tough.

shomie911

Enlightened
The XO3 will also work great for caving or any other task that will destroy flashlights that aren't as tough.

I know the Inova X1 Gen. 2 is incredibly waterproof (you can flood the battery compartment and it will have no ill effect) but how waterproof is the X03? Can it be submerged?

I'm not regretting my decision. I got an Inova X5 (older version) and an X03 shipped for a little more than $40.

Considering Inovas last a lifetime, I think it was money well spent. :twothumbs

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't use it as a dive light, but it is definitely dunkable. I had an X5 that I fried accidently and tried the freeze pop method to change the l.e.d.s. I filled the battery compartment with water and closed it up. Then I put it in the freezer for a while. While I couldn't get the end to pop off, the light still worked (though the l.e.d.s were much dimmer) after all that abuse. Inova lights are tough. That stainless steel ring on the front and back end makes these lights able to handle drops better than other HAIII anodized lights.

beer2beer

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone here tried the new X03 with 5.8 watt led? Any beamshots? Is the 5.8 version better than the old one?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone here tried the new X03 with 5.8 watt led? Any beamshots? Is the 5.8 version better than the old one?

The "5.8 Watt LED" XO3 is the 2007 model using perhaps one of the worst LEDs ever (imho). It uses an old skool Luxeon K2, not the new TFFC K2. It is not a recommended light at all from my point of view. Instead get the new T2 or T3 from Inova.