Love the P3D but hate the SOS flashy mode

bobo383

Newly Enlightened
No way to defeat the SOS mode I guess? It's such a great light except for that. Any recommendations on a two-mode, really bright and really low, the same size & effectiveness as the P3D?

Last edited:

spgrk

Newly Enlightened
The L2T is 2AA and not quite as bright, but it has an unobtrusive two modes (by twisting the head) that you can't really switch accidentally.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Surefire

You are not alone in hating the SOS and strobe modes in the Fenix lights that pop up unexpectedly when you fiddle with the UI. :shakehead

Marduke

Flashaholic
Dumb question:

If you don't like the SOS mode, why use it?

Just don't do the extra soft press it requires when in turbo. You'll never see it then, and forget it's even there.

youreacrab

Enlightened
+1

I really want a 2x123 with the same form factor and brightness as a P3D. However, I will NOT be getting a PD30 because of SOS and Strobe.

For now, I have an L2T and L1T and they are plenty bright.

Let's see a P3T Q5+ FENIX!

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I love my Fenix lights (I have 9 of them), but also don't really care for the SOS and strobe modes.

However, I just don't use them and don't find them too obtrusive since I am quick with the UI.

And there is always the very slim possibility that the SOS mode might one day summon help and save my life. . . . :duh2:

Last edited:

jupello

Enlightened
I must ask this: Do you just hate the idea of it being there, or does it REALLY get in your way?

cal..45

Enlightened
Dumb question:

Just don't do the extra soft press it requires when in turbo. You'll never see it then, and forget it's even there.

your question is anything but dumb. actually it is the ONLY right question to ask.

personally I never understood nor will I ever understand all the whining and moaning about the SOS/strobe or whatever modes. if one doesn't like them, then simply don't use them, period. there is not a little gizmo sitting inside the flashlight who forces you to do so and if you don't, blow up the thing in your hand, you know....:sigh::rolleyes:

bobo383

Newly Enlightened
your question is anything but dumb. actually it is the ONLY right question to ask.

personally I never understood nor will I ever understand all the whining and moaning about the SOS/strobe or whatever modes. if one doesn't like them, then simply don't use them, period. there is not a little gizmo sitting inside the flashlight who forces you to do so and if you don't, blow up the thing in your hand, you know....:sigh::rolleyes:

I bump the tailcap switch by accident alot, using the light while working on equipment - especially with gloves on.

paulr

Flashaholic
I must ask this: Do you just hate the idea of it being there, or does it REALLY get in your way?

There is not a difference. If there is something you hate about a light, whether it's a feature like SOS, or something about the light's styling, or maybe that the manufacturer or vendor did something you don't like (like M*g and its lawsuits), then that hate (or even mere distaste) consumes some of your mental energy and therefore gets in your way. Sure, an unwanted feature's presence may not impair the light's functionality that much, but as flashaholics and connoisseurs, we CPF'ers are usually looking for more than mere functionality. We are looking for lights that bring us a sense of satisfaction and harmony when we use them. And yes, for some of us at least, the SOS feature gets in the way of that.

jupello

Enlightened
There is not a difference. If there is something you hate about a light, whether it's a feature like SOS, or something about the light's styling, or maybe that the manufacturer or vendor did something you don't like (like M*g and its lawsuits), then that hate (or even mere distaste) consumes some of your mental energy and therefore gets in your way. Sure, an unwanted feature's presence may not impair the light's functionality that much, but as flashaholics and connoisseurs, we CPF'ers are usually looking for more than mere functionality. We are looking for lights that bring us a sense of satisfaction and harmony when we use them. And yes, for some of us at least, the SOS feature gets in the way of that.

Hating light's styling or manufacturer I do understand, but why hate the poor old SOS mode IF it never does anything to irritate you? I think hating it just because it exists is a bit too much. It's like hating your neighbor just because he happens to live next door to you. :devil: There should always be some reason for the hate..

Remember that the SOS mode is just trying to help you! :p

jag-engr

Enlightened

Suppose that you are using the light on high level and want to switch back down to low — there is a little gizmo inside the light that forces you to switch through the SOS mode before you can go back to low.

My objection to the SOS and strobe modes is that, without them, the lights could have close to the perfect UI.

If the strobe and SOS weren't there, you would have a 3-level light with the bezel loosened (with the levels in a logical order, nonetheless) or a pure tactical light with the bezel tightened.

A forward clicky could even be installed and you would have momentary-on signalling capabilites in the turbo mode. This would be a little less convenient in the med & high modes, but, personally, when I carried a P2D, I primarily used either low or turbo. In the event that the user needed more light but did not have a hand free to twist the bezel, they could easily click to the next mode.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Suppose that you are using the light on high level and want to switch back down to low — there is a little gizmo inside the light that forces you to switch through the SOS mode before you can go back to low.

And there are at least 3 other ways to skip over SOS so you never even see it.

youreacrab

Enlightened

i dont think you're getting it.

having to skip over it in the first place is the problem.

ideally, fenix should offer the lights both with the flashy modes and without. would be no more complicated than how they currently offer the lights with a smooth/textured reflector.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

When the lights get used a lot the unanodized head threads wear down (along with the not so precise threads to begin with) and any bump could break the circuit and cause it to jump to next mode, from either high to sos or turbo to strobe.

It happened to my P3D and the retailer (not FS if you are wondering) doesn't want to do anything about it so now I stay away from lights with this design.