HELP! Fenix TK11 only works in low mode

AquaVu

Newly Enlightened
:mecry:My 3 days old Fenix TK11 is only working in the low mode. What could possibly be the cause of that?? Please help. Thanks in advance to all.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all what batteries are you using and are the batteries fresh?
Did it ever work on turbo or has it just stopped working after some use?

Thanks.

Marduke

Flashaholic
A little more info might be helpful. What does it do as you tighten and loosen the head?

If you remove the head, is the center area with the contacts able to screw in our out?

What batteries?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like over discharged batteries to me- mine did exactly the same. New battery, and no problems since :)

AquaVu

Newly Enlightened
I just cleaned out all the contacts and recharged all the 123 batteries but still couldn't get the high beam. Could it be a defect or a shock from shipping? Should I order a new head/lamp? This my first expensive flashlight to show off at camping in 2 weeks but it's hard to do so with only 50 lumens. Please help out a new flashaholic trainee.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly I don't know what it could be except for a defect.
Was it working OK for a while or did it come to you with this problem?

Thanks

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
A fortnight ago, my L2D Q5, with freshly charged Infiniums, worked as it should when I searched my way from the car to the place we had an event.

When I arrived there, I switched it off, put on the diffuser, and switched it on again. It only worked one one level anymore, which seemed to be low or something pretty unsusuable. I had no spare batteries with me, so I took the cells out, heated them with my hands, put them back in, nothing.

OK, so I let it burn on low with the diffuser on, but a few minutes later I had to test it again. A wonder happened, it worked on all levels again, even on turbo. We stayed there for two more hours or so, the L2D with the diffuser on a lower level, and each time I tested it, it worked as it should.

As I also have sometimes problems with the Indiniums in my GPS (running time of 3 hours, normal are 16 hours or so), I think the batteries caused this strange failure.

I don't know anything about rechargeable 123A, but I would test it with primaries, if it doesn't work, it has a failure and you shuld give it back as soon as possible.

I'll have an eye on my L2D from now on and I think I know now why brands like Surefire only build lights with 123As...

AquaVu

Newly Enlightened
After a month of rerearch, I decided on Fenix because of all the great reviews and recommendations. I am greatly disappointed and I hope this is all a simple fix and not a problem with Fenix light. I've already decided on ordering the new Fenix pd20 which comes out at the end of the month. Should I hold off on that? BTW....How good is Fenix warranty and where to get it? Is it still under warranty if you bought the light brand new from *Bay? I wish I could have bought Fenix lights from a local authorized dealer locally. Do they sell these lights in stores anywhere or it's only online? Thanks for all the responses :)

Paul520

Newly Enlightened
That's to bad. Don't know about the bay deals. Get one from lighthound. I got a DOA L2D and emailed asking about it and they sent another one before I had time to answer the email.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I just cleaned out all the contacts and recharged all the 123 batteries but still couldn't get the high beam. Could it be a defect or a shock from shipping? Should I order a new head/lamp? This my first expensive flashlight to show off at camping in 2 weeks but it's hard to do so with only 50 lumens. Please help out a new flashaholic trainee.

Try primaries. I'd be willing to bet the RCR123's are too long, which isn't allowing the head to screw down.

That light is really meant for CR123's and 18650's.

BTW, get future purchases from Fenix-Store.com for their unconditional lifetime guarantee.

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
Try primaries. I'd be willing to bet the RCR123's are too long, which isn't allowing the head to screw down.
Good call.
Another possible solution to try (although still not as good as feeding it quality primaries) would be to take out the batteries, screw the head down as tight as it will go, then feed the batteries back in the tail end and screw on the tail. This should ensure that the batteries aren't keeping the head from screwing all the way down (although the tailcap might not screw down as tight as you would like).

AquaVu

Newly Enlightened
Update on the TK11. I've tried all of the above remedies and nothing works. Please don't tell me that my first quality flashlight is only a 60lumens fenix. Could i buy the necessary parts somewhere to fix this Fenix? Which part should I buy? The head or the tail? Anyone interested in buying a new 60 lumens Fenix for a discounted price?:whistle:

Marduke

Flashaholic
You still haven't described your exact symptoms. Did it ever work? Did you actually try CR123 primaries?

If you tighten the head, do the cells stick out past the end of the battery tube? If you remove the head, is the pill able to screw in and out?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK11, and many twist Fenix lights, activate turbo when the TOP Rim of the battery tube makes contact with the Gold Plated conductor around the outside of the Light Engine circuit board.

So as others have suggested make sure the Head and Battery tube can screw down all the way. Clean the top rim of the battery tube, and the gold contact ring. If you don't get turbo your light has driver issues.

Since you are in the US I would contact Fenix-Store even if you did not buy the light from them as they are the US distributor. Since you bought the light off the Bay they may not be responsible for it (it could have been imported by other means), but whatever the case they will do their best to help you. If your going to buy a new light Buy it from Lighthound (as suggested earlier) or Fenix Store.

Good Luck!

carrot

Flashaholic
Return it for a new one :) I have had a similar issue on older Fenix lights and that has always been my solution.

AquaVu

Newly Enlightened
The TK11 is on the way back to the Bay seller since it's brand new and under full warranty. Fenix has a great warranty on all their products. I should get a new Tk11 back at the same time with my newly released PD20. Starting a new Fenix collection 1 at a time :D
BTW, I had a chance to compare my friend Olight M20 with the Tk11 tonight. The Fenix won in every categories IMHO