Floodlight for taking pictures at night

crazedmodder

Newly Enlightened
I want a light for taking pictures at night with a low ISO setting and a somewhat fast shutter. I'll mostly be taking pictures of cars but some other things too probably. I've been reading around on the forums quite a bit and have my eye on the POB spotlight. I don't know if it will work out for me though, here is what I'm looking for in a light:

- Weight: Don't really care that much as long as it is reasonable, I'll be carrying it in a car
- Colour: Probably want ~3300K (halogen?) to 4300K colour temperature for a good CRI (I doubt 6000K provides a good CRI)
- Battery: As with weight it doesn't really matter
- Charger: Included, plugin would make me very happy :) Even better if it can do DC from a car's 12V adaptor as well as AC 120V
- Warm-up time <= 30 seconds
- Cheap < $100 :)
- Ability to shoot a car at ISO100 1/40s F5.6 at least at night with no other lighting (besides the moon of course :p which doesn't count at 1/30s :))

So the colour is an issue for me with the POB I'm pretty sure, so if I get it I'll have to get another bulb which pushes the price up for me, what type of bulb base does it use? I'm going to take care of the lens myself to change it from a spot into a flood. Do you guys have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks Guys :)

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
The only light I know of that fits your needs is the AmondoTech N30.
It puts out over 3000 lumens at 4200K, so it would be perfect for photography. It comes with a standard AC charger.

It is very small and lightweight, runs for over 1 hour on a full charge, and will illuminate objects over 1/2 a mile away.

I just received mine and am blown away by it. It is noticeably brighter than the POB with much better color rendition and beam quality, yet it is much smaller. It completely blows away the POB, and I highly recommend you consider it.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It sounds light whatever it is, it can't be AC power alone. Regarding any light that runs on both 12V DC and AC, I can't think of any offhand that operate that way.

The POB would work with a 4200K bulb and the bulb type would be an H4.

I would also have a good look at the N30. It's a smaller light with a better battery and bulb color. One of the big +s for photography is the filter attachments that will be available for it soon, including a diffuser. It's my opinion that a diffuser is far better that permanently modifying the reflector or lens.

You didn't happen to mention a price range so it's kinda hard to steer you toward anything more specific. Let's just say there are lot's of options under $350.

crazedmodder

Newly Enlightened
Yeah sorry I wasn't clear, I meant charged from 120VAC or 12VDC not run from it, I know that would be a tough bill to fit. I was looking for something <100$ but maybe that was too tight of a budget. Yeah the N30 looks good, I saw the beam comparisons on it so I'll probably get that because it looks awesome. I could always use my inverter for car charging.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone abused it? Because if it's tough enough I might bring it skiing a few time with me this winter to muck around and get some pictures at night.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Crazed, it's a great light and very durable. Some members have reported some high falls onto concrete without breaking. Mine has survived many 3-4 foot falls onto the dirt or forest floor. It's hanging tough so far. There really isn't any light under $300 bucks that can touch it. If you purchase one, don't forget about your 5% discount.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Yeah sorry I wasn't clear, I meant charged from 120VAC or 12VDC not run from it, I know that would be a tough bill to fit. I was looking for something <100$ but maybe that was too tight of a budget. Yeah the N30 looks good, I saw the beam comparisons on it so I'll probably get that because it looks awesome. I could always use my inverter for car charging.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone abused it? Because if it's tough enough I might bring it skiing a few time with me this winter to muck around and get some pictures at night.

I highly recommend you do get it. I am so blown away by mine, here is my thread about it.

TheGreyEminence

Newly Enlightened
Patriot36...a off topic question :)
Your new avatar....am i right when i say this is Harrison Ford in the first StarWars Movie? I was thinking a long time before i got it..

Patriot

Flashaholic
Patriot36...a off topic question :)
Your new avatar....am i right when i say this is Harrison Ford in the first StarWars Movie? I was thinking a long time before i got it..

lol...yeah. I guess I was just ready for something different.

Second movie, I believe. It's from the scene when Princess Leia insults him after he arrogantly suggested that she has romantic feelings for him. She says, "why you stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder! (a fictional occupation probably having something to do with herding dirty animals or the equivalent of a sheep farmer of today) That exact picture frame is at the point when he says, "who's scruffy look'in?" That movie has always cracked me up because of Han's cowboy character and quotes like, "if you ask me, nothing beats a good blaster" as he downplays the the force and Luke's newly acquired light saber.

:popcorn:

Crazedmodder, Here is a link to a couple of 35W lights including diffuser shots. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/197784

Last edited:

crazedmodder

Newly Enlightened
5% Discount you say? lol I was unaware of this.

Time to start saving up, I can't forget about the bs border/shipping charges :mecry: This light is going to be awesome, especially for my first spotlight. I have high hopes and can't wait to play around with it, let alone take some pictures with it :twothumbs

If I were to get a thin sheet of acrylic and sandblast it would that give me sufficient results? That was my original plan for making it more of a flood light. I should get some filters too :)

Thanks again guys :)

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
5% Discount you say? lol I was unaware of this.

If I were to get a thin sheet of acrylic and sandblast it would that give me sufficient results? That was my original plan for making it more of a flood light. I should get some filters too :)

Thanks again guys :)

Yes, the coupon code is CPF2006

The acrylic might work but will reduce the output to some extent, no different than any diffuser. Hopefully the filters will be prices as reasonably as the lights.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Good choice on the N30. I heard it was a durable and bright light, and pretty small compared to the other HIDs in its class.

Temporarily, you can probably try bead blasting or even sanding acrylic as the filter.