Malkoff M60 runtime

Jackyl

Enlightened
Upgrading my SF 6PD from a W.E. D26 130 lumen P4 to a Malkoff M60 and I'm wondering about real-world runtime with Batt. Station CR123's. The site says 1.5+ Hr., but does that mean it goes **** up after that or does it have usable light beyond that? If so, approx. how many lumens and for how long? Just trying to decide on the M60 or M60L, which would likely have a hair more output and double the runtime of what I'm already running. Too bad there isn't a 2 mode version. ;) Thanks!!!

BTW, the 6PD stays mounted to my AR fore end so I want it to be blindingly bright. My P3D is for general use, but the SF adds a lot of weight to the AR and may not be there permanently. I'd like to have the option of making it a "usable" (i.e. easy on batteries) flashlight if that becomes the case.

Last edited:

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Anyone know....I cant decide it I want one or not....My R2 was fried in my step brothers recent torture test of my 6p (totally unwilling)

Jackyl

Enlightened
Do you mean "IF" or "WHICH ONE"? ;) If for general use I'd probably go with the M60L for the longer runtime.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Mr. Malkoff himself, the M60 runs at the full 235+ lumens for 1.5 hours and then drops out of regulation - looked for the specific thread where he said it but couldn't find it...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Tossed my M60 into my Surefire C2 a few weeks ago, and tested it for runtime. Used Surefire brand CR123 cells. Got 1.5 hours of full-on light. After that, I had very useable output until 4.5 hours from the very start of the test. By then, output diminished a bit more. At the 7 hour mark, (from the very start of the test) I got output that you'd expect out of a Maglite Solitaire on a fresh AAA cell. At the 7.5 hour mark, I had enough light to read a note scribbled on a small memo pad by holding the light a couple of inches away from the note.

Sorry, but I decided to end the runtime test after 7.5 hours. It was obvious by then that the M60 simple would not die until every last tiny drop of battery "juice" was gone from those two cells.

The runtime test was made easy thanks to the nature of my job. I was able to keep a constant eye on the light, except for a couple of minutes here & there, when I had to concentrate on work.

Jackyl

Enlightened
Awesome, thanks man. What would you guess the output range to be for those first 3 hours of unregulated runtime?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
To: Jackyl ~

To me, the light looked as though it was running at about 2/3 output and then went down to about 1/4 by the end of that time period. Keep in mind that the human eye is a poor indicator of lumens output. But based on what I saw, that's what it appeared to be.

I'm glad I was able to shed some light on this subject. ;)

Truth is, I was curious as to how long it would be until the M60 died. Heard many great things about Gene's handmade creations, before I got my M60. I wanted to see if all the positive comments were true.... Yup! They are!

I just couldn't get that little brass beauty to die.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tossed my M60 into my Surefire C2 a few weeks ago, and tested it for runtime. Used Surefire brand CR123 cells. Got 1.5 hours of full-on light. After that, I had very useable output until 4.5 hours from the very start of the test. By then, output diminished a bit more. At the 7 hour mark, (from the very start of the test) I got output that you'd expect out of a Maglite Solitaire on a fresh AAA cell. At the 7.5 hour mark, I had enough light to read a note scribbled on a small memo pad by holding the light a couple of inches away from the note.

Sorry, but I decided to end the runtime test after 7.5 hours. It was obvious by then that the M60 simple would not die until every last tiny drop of battery "juice" was gone from those two cells.

The runtime test was made easy thanks to the nature of my job. I was able to keep a constant eye on the light, except for a couple of minutes here & there, when I had to concentrate on work.

This is roughly parallel to my experience. I didn't have the luxury of turning on and watching it so it was On/Off kind of thing for several weeks. Two weeks I think. I don't have a useful runtime quote like you but I think it's in the ballpark of yours. All I can say it offered very bright lite for maybe 2 hours+

M60_module.jpg

Actually this was on 9P, 3x123 so it should have done better than C2 obviously...

M60_tall.jpg

Here is the Malkoff at the very end of its runtime. Looks like a CMG Infinity that's almost totally discharged. I am guessing 1 lumen?

M60_dim1.jpg

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any difference between it and the old one?

I had to sand it a bit to get a perfect fit in 9P...

LumenMan

Enlightened
The production M60's are identical the Gene's handmade versions. The dimensions are the same, so my handmade M60 had a gap as well.

sims2k

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I was leery about getting the Malkoff M60 considering it cost as much as buying a new SF 6P host. :)

CampingLED

Enlightened
I use two protected CR123's in my Malkoff 6PD set-up and when my batteries go low my light dies instantly from max power. When I replace the batteries with charged ones it is fine again for a few weeks of actual usage. My feeling is that the battery protection cuts the power before it reach the dimming/direct drive mode.

As Gene stated: "Below 3.8 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive." With protected cells you will not reach that stage.

Latest posts