Aurora AK-P7-5 HA-III SSC P7-C 5-Mode

krazy89

Enlightened
Hey there...

i've been dying to get my hands on a P7 torch for a while now... and i've just noticed this one from DX... and wondering if there's anyone out there that has this one... and and do a mini review of it... or just some comments on the build quality.. runtimes... and the overall brightness...

thanks would help me out.. and maybe even save me from buying one...

[link removed - DM51]

KraZy

Last edited by a moderator:

kanarie

Enlightened
I have the Aurora AK-P7 2 and the Aurora AK-P7 3 (2x18650 for in the car). I use my Aurora's AK-P7 EVERY day and I LOVE them. I am looking with one eye at the Aurora AK-P7-5 HA-III and it seems like an upgrade. The only thing that is holding me back is the 2000mAh Max and the smaller reflector (less throw).

IMSabbel

Enlightened
I got the non HA version of this. Its never 900lumen, not even close to it.
But its still a very nice light, a lot brighter than a p3d on turbo.
Beam is a little more floody.

Strobe is very fast.

Not a bad light. Use it sometimes as my main light. Feels pretty sturdy, too.

krazy89

Enlightened
thanks guys for the input... it looks like we have access to the driver... so it shouldn't be too hard to put in a better driver in there... to bump up the output... just a lil bit....

man... looks like my wallet's gonna take a hit again....

KraZy

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I have the regular 2-mode AK-P7. I bought it for the P7 factor, and never really use it. Yesterday I was playing with it and I think I shorted something when I screw the bezel back on, because as of right now it doesn't turn on.

The build quality is about what you'd expect for a mid-grade Chinese flashlight. The threads are fine, Orings seemed tight. The reverse clicky is positive.

If mine worked I might be more apt to using it. :(

krazy89

Enlightened
wow.. that sucks...

but it shouldn't short just by screwing the bezel back in!?!?! That doesn't sound right at all...

KraZy

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I had unscrewed the reflector to test fit one of my surplus aspheric lenses. i don't know if I didn't screw the reflector in far enough for if the LED pill came loose (it was unscrewed a bit, but not much), but I think the bottom of the reflector shorted the LED leads. I'll play with it tonight and see if there's anything I can do. Replacement pills with reflector look like they can be purchased, but they're almost as expensive as a new light.

krazy89

Enlightened
hmm... that's rough man...

good luck with that... i think i will grab one of these just to fool around with...

too bad the P7's aren't very good at throwing... but i guess a big floody beam ain't such a bad thing...

KraZy

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
When the thing did work, I had an aspheric lens commonly used in Maglites (but not the KD or SurplusShed items) installed with limited success. If you kept the lens slightly out of focus, like keep the emitter 5 or 6mm beyond the focal point, it made a fairly smooth but rectangular hotspot with little flood. It didn't throw like my aspheric single-emitter mags, but it was way better than stock.

Chrisjh

Newly Enlightened
Got one.
Works OK.
Lots more light than my Fenix T1 (you have to go outside at night and light up a field to get a good comparison).
I'd guess 500-600 max lumens out the front.
Feels kind of wimpy compared to the T1.
If you screw the tail cap on too tight or too loose it won't work (have to screw it on *just* right).
Memory seems sensitive -- seems to forget, but this could be a timing issue.
If it lasts, then it is a great deal.

krazy89

Enlightened
hmm.. hey chris.. thanks for the update... i think i'm gonna hold off on this one... someone told me that the 2-level one is MUCH brighter than the 5 level one...

i might think about that one... but for now... i don't think that budget one will do.

I will just have to mod my 2D mag with a P7... that should be way better than the aurora...

KraZy

KentS

Newly Enlightened
I've got the two mode version. The High-mode seems to be well regulated and runs at virtually constant brightnes for 80minutes then drops of really fast (2x Trustfire 2500mAh 18650). The low mode is handled by a resistor in the clicky switch. Should be easy to modify intensity of low by exchaning this resistor. The downside of this construction is that the light is unregulated on low and does not gain in runtime what it looses in intesity. The quality overall is very nice. Everythings works and seems sturdy enough. Lots of o-rings and all threads were pre-greased.

It indeed puts out a lot of light. The hotspot is about the same size as my P3D rebel 100 but brighter. The spill is about twice the size and almost twice as bright. I cannot measure lumens but 700-800 does not seen implausable. A Dinotte 600 lumen bike light is dimmer than this one. It works well as a bike light (if you can fit a light of this size on your bike) even though the very large spill makes some light only usable to the rabbits on the field besides the road.

I added some thermal grease on the pills threads and packed aluminum foil mixed with thermal grease between the part of the pill sticking up and the housing of the head of the light. It gets warm even faster than it did before, so thermal management seems very good now.

My next mod is to scrap the reflector and put in one of these
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=183633
Currently I'm working with the dremel to make the collimator fit on the star.
The beam pattern is even better for bicycling - However since I have not got the collimator close enough to the emittor yet the loss in lumens is to great.

krazy89

Enlightened
hey KentS...

well.. sounds like yours is pretty good... however... it looks like you have the longer version of the light... as the one i was gonna get was the 1x18650 one... and the runtimes will probably be quite a bit worse than your 2x18650...

for now... i think i'll hold off on the light... lord knows i bought too many the last few weeks... and on top of it.. the stupid CDN $ is dropping faster than R.Kelly's pants during recess...

KraZy

Hellbore

Enlightened
Well, maybe I got lucky, but I have one of these lights and I LOVE it.

I have the HA-III 5-mode version, like in the title of this thread. Mine is the silver-ish colored model, not the black one.

No it is not 900 lumens, not even close, probably 500-600. However, it's still brighter than any of my non-P7 lights.

The fit and finish feels wonderful, it just feels good in the hand. The reflector screwed down all the way does not short out the LED on my light, I have not had any problems so far. The tailcap switch works well and I haven't had any issues with screwing it in all the way.

It sounds like my light has none of the problems mentioned here. It just works good, solid, bright, and good runtime considering how much light is being output vs. how small the light is (1x18650).

I am very happy with mine and I have been using it a lot lately, it's the main light I have been using. I have gone through 3 charges on my 18650's so far so I guess that's not a lot of hours. We will see if it continues to work well.

One thing of note, I am not able to unscrew the head from the body, it seems they tightened it very tight. This is fine with me. I am only able to unscrew the tailcap or the bezel.

krazy89

Enlightened
hey hellbore...

sounds like you're one of the lucky ones... i've heard some pretty bad stories for that particular one...

1 thing i am surprised is that your output seems to be that high... is that just an estimate based on your eyes? or is it measured?

Also, would you be able to get some current readings off the emitter?

KraZy

Hellbore

Enlightened
hey hellbore...

sounds like you're one of the lucky ones... i've heard some pretty bad stories for that particular one...

1 thing i am surprised is that your output seems to be that high... is that just an estimate based on your eyes? or is it measured?

Also, would you be able to get some current readings off the emitter?

KraZy

The output is very much estimated and it might be way off. I don't have a way to measure the output.

I am working on another P7 light that will be driven off a 2800 mA converter board, so I will be able to compare the output pretty soon, even take beamshots to compare.

I might be able to take some current readings yes, when I have a minute. School is keeping me busy :(

krazy89

Enlightened
sounds good Hellbore...

kinda interested to see what the readings will be... i've been on the fence about this light for quite some time now... and i just can't bring myself to getting it... maybe your findings will convince me!?!?!

KraZy

Hellbore

Enlightened
sounds good Hellbore...

kinda interested to see what the readings will be... i've been on the fence about this light for quite some time now... and i just can't bring myself to getting it... maybe your findings will convince me!?!?!

KraZy

Well all I know is that for ~$40 it has been better than the stupid WF-1000L which was ~$80 and burned out within minutes of receiving it. Stupid piece of crap.

I'll try to get the current measurements tonight but I probably can't post them until tomorrow because the internet is down at home.

krazy89

Enlightened
lol... everyone was giving glowing reviews and comments about the WF1000L tho... :)

but yeah... i guess there's lemons for everything...

but yeah.... i'll be watching out for your numbers...

THanks!
KraZy