Joined the SureFire club...

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to find out what all the excitement was about it, so here we go.. SF 9P. The stock module comes out, M60 goes in. Beamshots before and after. M60 is not only brighter but I like the tint much more, but then I am used to whitish LEDs.

SF_9P.jpg

SF_P90.jpg

SF_M60.jpg

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
don't worry, our garage has that beat, you can't even see the walls :)

Welcome to the club!!!
now just a pair of 17500s and a Z59 and a stainless steel bezel from lighthound, and a charger, and some spare cells, and a KT2, and a...

Never-mind, I better not give you any ideas. The 9P is probably fine the way it is. :)

Eric

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
More "first impression" comments.

9P size is just right, not too big, not too small. Actually pretty good for EDC.

The knurling is just right.

The tailcap is weird. I need a clickie. I don't get the instant-on. Twistie is OK if this was twistie/clickie combo but it's not.

Fit and finish and threads are beyond my expectations. The overall build quality is A+ and beyond any Fenix or whatever. I scored it for $60 off FeEbay. I have a hard time seeing why someone would pay more for an imitation. Plus the Malkoff module and I am somewhere north of $100.

The beam, I am not sure what to think. I suppose it's pretty good but it's not strong in the center like other lites, or like the other Malkoff (3D) I have. I guess it's pretty good one size fits all. I am not sure it's best for outdoors but pretty good for indoor and some outdoor stuff.

It's forgiven considering its size of slightly bigger than MiniMag.

3xCR123 rattle inside a bit. I will try wrapping them in something but I wonder if 2x17500 are a better fit.
I am also having doubts about getting a 2x18650 body for it. I mean it would be awesome but no longer EDC-able. (It is good for EDC as it is.) I might just do it however. But, sticking with the stock body means I could use primaries if I had to, no such choice with 18650 body, not to mention the smaller size.

I miss a low mode. I still intend to get a 2xAA lite with lower modes but this is great anyway. Seems very straightward interface, no strobe, no low, no SOS, just one mode. On or Off. I think this is the reason they call it SureFire.

It's output considering its size is awesome. I do need to get Li-Ion as going through primaries will get expensive real quick, even given the ones at discount online sources.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I am so glad you finally bought something after all those research threads.

Congratulations! May it last you 100 years.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your first SureFire purchase. Let the addiction begin :laughing:

I recently just purchased the Nitrolon version of your 9P, the G3 and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites.

I like the two pictures you posted, it really shows the better color rendition of the P90 over the LED :crackup:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took a walk outside in the dark alley, with my 1 year old on my shoulder (the only way he falls asleep...) This means I only have 1 hand available.

Observations:

The beam is a real nice combo of throw and flood and evoked some words from me. It's a wall of Lite. You definitely have to see it in total darkness to appreciate it. It's useful outside but if you want to spot something 100 or more meters away, get the bigger thrower like Mag 3D with Malkoff.

The UI is difficult, when you only have one hand available --- yes it is possible to twist that thing with one hand but in a moment of stress, might forget which way.

Fills my hand real nice.

The OAL is the same as AAP 2xC lite, you know the 3W one. I have moded one with P4. If you can EDC *that*, and I can, you can definitely EDC the 9P, which is much slimmer, especially in the head.

The instant on is marginally useful (to me anyway) -- as developers say, "it's not a bug, it is a feature".

More useful beam and size-wise than the 3D Malkoff, which however has its place also.

I should really do some shots of it vs. some 2xAA Q5 lite vs AAP-P4 lite.

Last edited:

firefly99

Enlightened
Fit and finish and threads are beyond my expectations. The overall build quality is A+ and beyond any Fenix or whatever.
+1

The beam is a real nice combo of throw and flood and evoked some words from me. It's a wall of Lite. You definitely have to see it in total darkness to appreciate it.

The beam from the Surefire P90 or 3rd party M60 ?

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I am going to get a M60L when I get the cash for the G2Z. Looking to move the P60L to my extra G2. I really like Surefire lights.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I much prefer the look of the P90 beamshot you posted, so I guess it's quite subjective.

Regards,
Tempest