M60 Torture Testing

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
I dont even have a M60 for my self....I want to see what kind of quality they are before I waste 2 months of savings for output (and quality) I could have gotten form a R2 pill.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Searching CPF you will find much info on the M60. In your searching keep a tally of those threads or posts that disparage the M60 due to quality issues. There has been an occasional thread or post where the M60 was having problems, with the result that Gene would replace the malfunctioning M60's. Not too many of those kind of posts. I surmise, from reading various threads and posts about the M60, that many M60 owners have also tried out the various R2 drop-ins and have opted to use the M60's instead. I have also reads posts where M60 owners have dropped their flashlights, with no damage to the M60. Let's see how this thread plays out.

Bill

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just make sure it's not in your 6P when the torture testing is done, and that your brother doesn't do it this time ;) SureFire might not be so accomodating the second time around...

Regards,
Tempest

dano101

Enlightened
Dont know if this quite counts but ive dropped mine from about 15 feet onto concrete (i was changing drop-ins between a BOG Q5 and the M60 just for comparisons)... and it was still running well after the drop. LED remained aligned, small bit of scuffing on the brass, a small bit of dread in my gut, but that was all. I think if you read the threads posted, the chances of your M60 ever letting you down to quote Bruce Campbell from Army of Darkness would be 'Jack and Sh*t... and Jack left town".

Dano

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Malkoff M60 in a Surefire 6P with a Solarforce SS strike bezel on it and I've punched the bezel through cardboard, etc, just fooling around. No problems there, and I didn't expect any, from the M60 at least.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Step-brother just did a torture test to my surefire last week....he broke it rather well

Instead of wasting everyone's time looking at this thread with no ideas and no data. Why don't you tell us what your stepbrother did to your Sure Fire that "broke it good". Maybe its already been done to Malkoff's or other flashlights in general that people can tell you about. I have purposely dropped my Solarforce L2 with Malkoff's inside them on concrete repeatedly to show my friends how good they are with no problems.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
He has a thread about it but am too lazy to dig up the link. I promise you that it will make you wince. His tale was a good testament to SF's warranty too.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then why did he start this one, or why didn't he put a link to that one as a reference? Or at the very least, why not summarize that experience in here as a recap prior to just asking for "torture testing, carte blanche?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Instead of wasting everyone's time looking at this thread with no ideas and no data. Why don't you tell us what your stepbrother did to your Sure Fire that "broke it good". Maybe its already been done to Malkoff's or other flashlights in general that people can tell you about. I have purposely dropped my Solarforce L2 with Malkoff's inside them on concrete repeatedly to show my friends how good they are with no problems.

Here is the thread he references https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2634384#post2634384

Bill

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Then why did he start this one, or why didn't he put a link to that one as a reference? Or at the very least, why not summarize that experience in here as a recap prior to just asking for "torture testing, carte blanche?

Because he is perfectly in the clear to do so?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I had seen that thread a while back and thought that it was kind of juvenile and going nowhere and forgot about it. From the sound of it, they are 2 teenage step brothers and the one who did the torture test probably has no money and no sense of responsibility.

But be that as it may. That was an uncontrolled unlimited shock test. We don't know how much the ultimate force was, it didn't just break the LED module it broke the switch and the housing, so what's the point.

Taking things to the point and beyond of there actual physical limitations like that in a catastrophic, uncontrolled and unmeasurable manner doesn't prove anything. No person with common sense is going to do that intentionally. A soldier out in the battlefield certainly would not try to destroy his tools just to see if he could and then be stuck without them if he proves himself right that they were not indestructible.

At least the guy who crushed his Fenix T1 intentionally did it on a system where he could measure the force in pounds and so we had some data to glean from it. Video taped it and put it on youtube so we could see it. Proved that it was a very strong unit.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrGman - He's perfectly within his right to start a new thread. If you don't like them then you don't need to post in them. I don't think this is a good way to make our new members feel welcome :(

Regards,
Tempest

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I had seen that thread a while back and thought that it was kind of juvenile and going nowhere and forgot about it. From the sound of it, they are 2 teenage step brothers and the one who did the torture test probably has no money and no sense of responsibility.

But be that as it may. That was an uncontrolled unlimited shock test. We don't know how much the ultimate force was, it didn't just break the LED module it broke the switch and the housing, so what's the point.

Taking things to the point and beyond of there actual physical limitations like that in a catastrophic, uncontrolled and unmeasurable manner doesn't prove anything. No person with common sense is going to do that intentionally. A soldier out in the battlefield certainly would not try to destroy his tools just to see if he could and then be stuck without them if he proves himself right that they were not indestructible.

At least the guy who crushed his Fenix T1 intentionally did it on a system where he could measure the force in pounds and so we had some data to glean from it. Video taped it and put it on youtube so we could see it. Proved that it was a very strong unit.

If it fell 40 feet, it absorbed 17.28J upon impact. It depends on how it hits for parts to break with that amount of energy.