what dangerous wildlife and insects do ya have near you

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well after 4sevens story it got me to thinking me i have yellow jackets i mean swarms of em there all over the place even usually like 10 on my mail box when i check mail.now its colder there going away a bit im happy i also have scorpions coyotes bear and that it other then the crazy feral cats the cray cat lady feeds.ps the yellow jackets as bad as they are only stung me like 4 times which aint bad considering how many there is.but they love to fly up to me and on me not sure i must smell like a flower or something.worst thing is when ya try to avoid em and no one sees em but you . all the people think ya lost ya mind

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Africanized bees, Western diamondbacks, a cougar or two on rare occasions, javelinas, gila monsters... The only thing I worry about are the bees 'coz I hike a lot by myself. Cougars only come down from the mountains during extreme droughts, the rest are really part of the landscape and they're easy to deal with if you use common sense.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I live in an area where over 70% of all homes have the Brown Recluse spider. And it's not hard to find Black Widows either. (both indoors)

Copperheads, Water Moccasins, rattle snakes are common outside, with the first two especially around water.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o i forgot about spiders not sure what i have here had a lot of black widows about 100 miles south of here.o ps a few months ago i got bite by a tick it still hasn't healed right on my back .didn't even feel it to i was running hand over my back and i felt a something i thought was a growth or something then i pulled it off because im a idiot and it was a tick freaked me out

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
One advantage of living in the northeast is that the cold kills off poisonous snakes, spiders and other insects although in southern New England I guess there's the rare rattler. I can go walking thru the fields and woods without fear of getting bit although we now have to watch out for ticks and potential lime disease. As a child I once came across a bear in a raspberry patch. He went one way and I went the other and I'm not sure who was moving faster.

I like to hike the White and Green Mounts of New Hampshire and Vermont. I'd be afraid to hike the mountain trails out west because I wouldn't want to be one of those Reader's Digest drama in real life stories where a person gets attacked by a mountain lion.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
In order from most to least of a threat: black widows, africanized bees, rattlesnakes, scorpians, mountain lions. My dad sprayed his house for black widows just yesterday. The bees are in all of the trees around his house in swarms. I have had many close encounters with rattlesnakes and scorpions on local trails (I never leave home w/o a Sawyer's Snake Bite Kit). I've seen a mountain lion a couple times while hiking local trails and one tried stalking me at a local campground at night (until I scared it away with my P3D Q5 on turbo).

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few ones of the many I decided to take a pic of.. The black widow was alive actually when I was taking it's pic! It moved later!! But the recluse is far more common, I never see any other spider or bug inside but them. Tons of them.

blackwidow1.jpg

brownrecluse1.jpg

brownrecluse2.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Thar be spiders and snakes around here, but people are far more dangerous!

There is one ground dwelling wasp of some sort that I'm told you do NOT want to get stung by!

I got hit by a yellowjacket just before hurricane IKE came around. Luckily I don't puff up with a sting.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot about mosquitos. We have plenty of them too. I'm sure they're worse in other places like Minnesota though(I've heard the mosquito is their state bird).

Patriot

Flashaholic
Africanized bees, Western diamondbacks, a cougar or two on rare occasions, javelinas, gila monsters... The only thing I worry about are the bees 'coz I hike a lot by myself. Cougars only come down from the mountains during extreme droughts, the rest are really part of the landscape and they're easy to deal with if you use common sense.

All that plus Bark Scorpions, Wasps and Black Widows.

Maybe I should put them in risk order.

Africanized bees
Rattle snakes
Mountain Lions
Bark Scorpions

The rest really don't matter to me because the risk is so low. Bees are the worst because they're fast and if you injure yourself while fleeing you're screwed. These can be a threat whether you're in a mall parking lot or in the boonies. The threat is higher in the boonies because you don't have a vehicle or indoor place to flee to. Your only chance is to put enough distance between you and the hive. Africanized bees pursuit longer than honeybee's and often give chase for several hundred meters once the first sting has occured. They're a big threat to the elderly and pets.

Rattlesnakes are second on my list because although my exposure is limited, the result of being invenomated is very bad. They are hard to see and don't always rattle first. They're also fairly common and I see them while hiking, biking, working, hunting and they've even come up onto the back patio at night. Stepping directly on one would be the worst case scenaro.

Mountain Lions although not existing in large numbers and rarely seen are out there. They typically avoid humans and usually flee but sometimes, for whatever reason, they loose their fear and decide to stalk human prey. I think about them the most when hunting in the high country while walking in the dark and while mountain biking in the foothills. I carry pepper spray and a large folding knife as a last ditch defence. Most people who are killed are unarmed or have no one else around to help them. I can't imagine spending time as an outdoorsman in west without at least carrying a small knife. One 61 year old man in Port Alice actually saved life using an old school, Buck style folder, by stabing back over his shoulder as the cat bit at his neck from behind. He slit the cougar's throat and it died on the gravel road that the man had been walking on. Without that knife he would have been eaten.

Bark Scorpions because they do make it into the house sometimes. They're a light transluscent tan and difficult to see. If you're walking barefoot in the house and step on one there is a good chance of getting tagged. Most folks out here no better than to reach down and pick up something from the floor without knowing exactly what it is first. It's not uncommon for someone new to the state to reach down to pick up a piece of "lint" only to find out the hard way that it wasn't just lint. I've been stung in the toe once and it felt like a match burning between my toes. I had numbness to all my extremities including my lips, ears, oposite foot and all my finger tips. I don't consider them life threatening but they'll sure ruin your next 24 hours. Although the numbness everywhere else went away fairly quick, my toe took 6 weeks for all the feeling to return.

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened
At night, I can hear lions,tigers and elephants.

And I know there are crocodiles, snakes, hyenas and rhinos in the area.

There is also a shop that sells plastic versions of the above animals.

(I live about a 5 min walk from our city zoo :D and they make a ratchet at night)

It's a pity I'm not allowed to go walking through the zoo grounds at night (with a tranquilizer gun of course)

aussiebob

Enlightened
This song pretty much sums it up!!!

Redback, Funnel-Web, Blue-ringed octopus
Taipan, Tigersnake and a Box jellyfish
Stonefish and the poison thing that lives in a shell
That spikes you when you pick it up

Come to Australia
You might accidentally get killed

Your life's constantly under threat
Have you been bitten yet?
You've only got three minutes left
Before a massive coronary breakdown

Redback, Funnel-Web, Blue-ringed octopus
Tiapan, Tigersnake and a Box jellyfish
Big shark just waiting for you to go swimming
At Bondi Beach

Come to Australia
You might accidentally get killed
Your blood is bound to be spilled
With fear your pants will be filled
Because you might accidentally get killed

Australias top ten deadly creatures

1. The Box Jellyfish
2. Irukandji Jellyfish
3. Salt Water Crocodile
4. Blue Ring Octopus
5. Stone Fish
6. Red Back Spider
7. Brown Snake
8. Tiger Snake
9. Great White Shark
10. Funnel Web Spider

:sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2:

Last edited:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
CA doesn't have brown recluse. They have other, native recluse species, but not the brown recluse.

Marduke, Yes, technically you are absolutely correct. However, of the recluse species we have, one is brown with a particularly nasty gangrenous bite. Our local hospital calls them and treats them as "brown recluse." Unbelievable the damage one did to a friend's leg. Plastic surgery and a graft were required. A rose by any other name . . .

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
No dangerous insects, snakes, spiders or dangerous animals in this part of the world.:twothumbs

Latest posts