Best AA powered light for $100?

Lucky Strike

Newly Enlightened
So i'm pretty new to lights (lurked around here about a year ago) and am finally looking to get my first light for general use and night stand duty as well as the occasional camping trip...i'd prefer something that ran off of AA's but if there's a light for the same price that runs off those special batteries that is a lot better then i'd consider it as well. So far i think i'd like to spend about $100. Just looking for some general direction to help me narrow my choices so i can make a good decision

Gator762

Enlightened
Fenix LD20 isn't out yet, but the successor to the L2D (premium), a very good light and well under $100. The textured reflector is the standard offering, which provides a good smooth beam for general use.

An all around durable well built light with an interface that's easy to use.

Fenix-store.com sells with an excellent warranty and CPF8 will get you a discount (8% I think).

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't go wrong with the Nitecore D10 from David's other store. I think you can use the coupon code there too.

It can use AA and 14500 lithiums. The piston design is awesome!

loanshark

Enlightened
Can't go wrong with the Nitecore D10 from David's other store. I think you can use the coupon code there too.

I agree totally... I also love my Fenix lights, but my D10 gts used more than the rest of my flashlights combined.

swebb

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LD20 isn't out yet, but the successor to the L2D (premium), a very good light and well under $100. The textured reflector is the standard offering, which provides a good smooth beam for general use.

An all around durable well built light with an interface that's easy to use.

Fenix-store.com sells with an excellent warranty and CPF8 will get you a discount (8% I think).

I just pre-ordered the Fenix LD20 Premium Q5 from Fenix-store. It will ship on 9/30 :)

I too wanted a 2 x AA light, and this one looks like it'll do about everything up to 180 lumens. I've never owned a Fenix before, but they seem to be highly recommended on this board.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently, I'd say the Fenix L2D Q5 or the Special Edition Olight T20 are the best. Just one person's opinion though.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Good choice on the AA vs. other batteries. Although CR123 batteries are technically superior, unless you have deep pockets or have an endless supply of free lithium batteries from your employer, using rechargeable AA batteries makes a LOT of sense. And if for some reason your batteries are dead and you are nowhere near home, any store the sells candy bars also sells AA batteries.

I'd go with a 2xAA flashlight, and like previously mentioned, I'd order the new Fenix LD20, the old Fenix L2D or the Nitecore D20.

My Fenix L2D is the standard by which I judge all my other lights.

Gator762

Enlightened

Fenix can also use Lithiums too, however you need to get less readily available LiFePO4. BUT they are safer, and you get 180 lumen output. :)

ETA Yes you can use the coupon there too. I did on an Olight.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I too have decided the best flashlight under $100 is the D10/EX10. Above $100 is a different ballgame...

Lucky Strike

Newly Enlightened
cool...thanks for the suggestions, i'll do some research on the ones listed.

Out of curiousity how much more do you have to spend to get to the next "tier" of flashlights and is the jump in quality that big?

I'm the type of guy who has been known to spend over budget on toys/tools based off of reading reviews, comparing specs, etc........which i guess just makes me a normal guy. :cool:

Last edited:

Centropolis

Enlightened
cool...thanks for the suggestions, i'll do some research on the ones listed.

Out of curiousity how much more do you have to spend to get to the next "tier" of flashlights and is the jump in quality that big?

I'm the type of guy who has been known to spend over budget on toys/tools based off of reading reviews, comparing specs, etc........which i guess just makes me a normal guy. :cool:

For AA flashlights, $80 is about the most you'd spend on a good quality one. All the ones mentioned in this thread so far ranges from $45 to $80. I am not aware of any high quality AA lights in the 'next tier'. I think most of the next tier lights are CR123A-based. However, someone who knows more than I do will come up with something I am sure! :)

But just fyi, the next tier I think Novatac 120 series is a good place to start.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's not forget the LiteFlux LX5FT. Without a doubt it has the most beautiful, artifact free beam of any of the AA lights mentioned with an extremely versatile, albeit somewhat complex to learn, interface. For maximum brightness and throw, however, I would give the nod to the Fenix L2D, albeit 2 x AA cells.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the LF5XT... if you're the type who likes a bit more complex UI. Fine for an EDC for me because I can program it to do just about anything.

Lucky Strike

Newly Enlightened
Cool....sounds like $100 (well actually less) will get me a top quality light for AA power. This definitely isn't going to be my last light though and future ones will delve into the world of CR123 based stuff. I just started to get into handguns last year and initially thought my first would also be my last....up to 5 now, like a lot of you i'm sure i've got a bit of a collector mentality.

carrot

Flashaholic

Then just cut to the chase and buy a McGizmo light... see the stickied threads for more info. :D

2249498115_99774d1ca6.jpg

Lucky Strike

Newly Enlightened
LOL...do i have to buy a Sebenza first? Knives are also something that i'm slowly collecting. I just make sure when i get into hobbies that there's a nice reasonable ceiling on how much the higher end stuff costs so i don't end up like my friend with all the money he spends on car racing (late model dirt track) stuff