How do I bring my EDC lights full circle? This is what I have, what do I need?

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Alright... I'm sincerely struggling with my decisions here. I really want to have a complete EDC range that covers compact, true every day carry as well as my training and missions in the Army.

All my lights should (and will) use 123 cells including RCR123 rechargeables. I do want a single and a double cell 123 range, so take that into account when giving advice. In my throwers keep in mind that they shouldn't have a huge bezel much larger than the body. They should be "tube-like" and at max have a bezel-to-tube ratio of the Jetbeam II. Mainly, the two-cell lights will cover my military excursions so obviously I won't be shoving them into my Levis like I will my Nitecore EX-10, but also, can't be too long - has to fit into my military ACUs. I would also like to pursue the Dereelight CL1H with the P60 drop-in module, but I would like at least three-four modes and again has to take 123s.

Also, I don't want any surefire lights unless they're the Optimus and Invictus which I will get later on so please don't suggest Surefire.

Lastly, I put in italics initial thoughts that I have in mind, but I don't currently have.

1x 123 cell:

Compact EDC - Nitecore EX-10 and Fenix P2D CE

Versatile EDC - *Nitecore Extreme, Novatac 120P, Coleman Exponent (I'm not sold on these)

Thrower EDC - *Jetbeam II I.B.S. or Pro (which one?)

2 x 123 cell:

"Compact" EDC - *Fenix PD30 or Coleman Exponent

Thrower EDC - *DereeLight CL1H 2.0 or *Fenix TK11

Military anglehead - *Firstlight Tomahawk MC- I really like this light.

My main frustrations are the 1 cell versatile (by versatile I mean "a little brighter" but still has many modes) and thrower. And with the 2 cell, the compact and thrower models are frustrating me as well. I really have no idea what lights to get in these ranges.

I apologize for such a large and varied request, but I really want the right light for the job in my day-to-day activities.

Thanks,
RC

Last edited:

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Cuso,

For one, the price is exorbitant on most of the lights. Two, a lot of them (to my understanding) can't use RCR123s. Three, most of them don't utilize multiple levels of output. Lastly, when Fenix - a Chinese company - can produce better run-times because of superior programming, well... then I personally have an issue with them.

I'm in the military (granted, not in the front lines), and I don't even see a need for their overpriced quality. If I did... I'll buy a Novatac.

Because when I go to the BX/PX on base and see their ridiculous prices, it's ridiculous how they're taking advantage of less-educated servicemembers just because that's what the military was happening to be issuing.

It's like buying a pair of Oakleys... why?

-RC

P.S. Back to my original questions please...

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
get an HDS Ra Twisty Ra-100-Tr and your entire 1x123 category is covered. and then get an HDS Ra Clicky Ra-120-Cn and youre golden.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
HoopleHead,

I'm not familiar with these lights although I've heard of them. What are their specs, and why should I get them?

Sell me if you will...

And thanks for your non-Surefire-biased input,
-RC

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Come on now... I posted my most sincere question ever and I get two responses?

Let's go you flash-a-holics...

-RC

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Well one guy said
Whats wrong with Surefire?? Plenty of options there...
and you stomp all over his internet cookies and indirectly say that he is biased. Since most responses to opinion threads will have some sort of bias (which you seem against given your response to a perception of same), the only way you can avoid it is by deciding for yourself.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Well one guy said and you stomp all over his internet cookies and indirectly say that he is biased. Since most responses to opinion threads will have some sort of bias (which you seem against given your response to a perception of same), the only way you can avoid it is by deciding for yourself.

I made it very clear in my original post that I don't want a Surefire. Most Surefire's other offerings in my opinion are not unique other than the Optimus or Invictus. Also, it is clearly obvious why I would only want those two lights - they're so overly innovative that they're pretty unique in their own right.

Plenty of manufacturers make tough lights, and now that we had LEDs that can withstand dropping, most people don't need the quality of a tank that Surefire offers and charges an arm, a leg and your first-born for.

I personally don't like the fact that the company is against RCR123 cells just because they want you to buy their - once again - overpriced batteries. And as for bias... I don't like that most of their lights offer only one mode and two at max. I have different needs for lighting and sometimes I don't want a blast of 80 lumens when I'm looking for some socks in the morning.

Now, I fully understand the hype behind them. That's fine... but please do not criticize me for calling someone out on the fact that I said, "NO SUREFIRE RECOMMENDATIONS." It's too easy... none, zip, zilch on the Surefire. Too often I've wanted to try a new light when I'm at the BX/PX, but no... even without tax they're too darn expensive, and for what? Honestly... for what? Who's idea it was to sell Surefire and Gerber almost exclusively was a genius let me tell you :thumbsdow. If I want built-like-a-tank quality, I'll go for the Novatac that guess what, offers "infinite" variations and output levels.

I've handled Surefires... I'm not impressed. There is my bias.

Good day,
RC

P.S. Please continue with the thread. And I looked at the Olight, but I think I would go TK11 by Fenix.

DArklite

Enlightened
Stick with the CL1H, either v3 or v4.
If you want to play lego with Surefire parts then grab a Solarforce L2 - same exact form factor as the Surefire P6, nice and sturdy, and also inexpensive but you way want to replace the tailcap (or not) with something else.

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
As some have mentioned a P60 host be a good solution and you can play Lego with it.

I would recommend a Surefire 6P or C2 for the host and a good drop-in to go with them. But there are many other options for hosts.

(Take a look at the PM I have sent)