what year minimag...from old to new version...

rajanf1

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I have minimag which I bought before but never opened. I bought it at REI in 2001. Anybody here knows if this model year has the new configuration of the minimag (two holes instead of four) to accept the Opalec Newbeam module? What year did Mag-Lite crossover to the new version?

I do not want to open the clamshell as this would destroy the package and will be harder for me to sell if in case this is the old version wherein the Newbeam will not work. Also I do not live Stateside and thus no way for me to exchange it to a newer stock.

TIA.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
They made the change sometime in the mid 90's I think. I have some old mini's and they have the name in smaller letters and no ram's head (or puma or jaguar- whatever). Also they list Ontario CA on some models. Now they say California USA.

For the ultimate nitpick, the dash between the words instrument and California is very close to the C, not evenly spaced between the two letters. On New models.

2001 should be OK but in case someone might have the internals left over from a BadBoy conversion they could drop in the post if a request were posted.

paulr

Flashaholic
Uh oh, I have the old model. It has the extra holes and says Ontario CA on the bezel. How's it different, really? Do you know if I also can't put in a Badboy 400?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh no, you can put a BadBoy or MadMax in either one. You can put the Inretech 2 AA mod in either one.
And You can put the Opalec in the old one, you just cut the plastic nubs off of the bottom of it. Several people here have done it, and they say it works fine.

rajanf1

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Pellidon said:
They made the change sometime in the mid 90's I think. I have some old mini's and they have the name in smaller letters and no ram's head (or puma or jaguar- whatever). Also they list Ontario CA on some models. Now they say California USA.

For the ultimate nitpick, the dash between the words instrument and California is very close to the C, not evenly spaced between the two letters. On New models.

2001 should be OK but in case someone might have the internals left over from a BadBoy conversion they could drop in the post if a request were posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Pellidon. I checked mine thru the clamshell and based on your description it looks like the new one. BUT I didn't open it. WHY? Because I am currently using a minimag I bought in 1996 I think with the same description on the bezel but when I checked inside, it has the 4hole thingie. I am afraid that my NIB (new in box) minimag will be of the older version too. Now I am starting get /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif at maglite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
My older one has a dash between mini & maglite, and the new doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes same thing. My old version has the exact description the internals have the 4holes.

Btw, at the back of the clamshell at the bottom right hand corner where it says Corporate Office, a ca. (circa) 1999 inscription is indicated. Can any good soul with a access to a new version packed in a clamshell check if the inscription says a later year? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif TIA.

rajanf1

Newly Enlightened
I received an email from Don of Maglite. He says:

" That change was made in the mid 90's. If you send me your address I will send you a new switch, you can replace it yourself."

Very nice customer service if I may add.