4 mode frosted EOS?

Any Cal.

Enlightened
Hi all.

I picked up an EOS this weekend. After reading some of the threads, I did not want the original. I actually decided on a UK Vizion for it's waterproofness and flood beam. As I was looking at the display model EOS though, with it's clear optic, I looked down and saw the exact same model on the rack, except with a frosted optic.

I went ahead and got it, because I thought I read the EOS II was good with the frosted optic, but it was missing a medium mode. So far it seems nice. Same exact light as the original. Looking in the optic, it appears to have an LED with a white square base and a yellow die. It also has a very warm beam. I assume it is a rebel.

So I mention it only so you know that there is a version 1.2 around, unless I am just all washed up. Let me know what you think, or if this is old hat and you all know already.

Have a nice day.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you may have received the EOS II. The EOS II doesn't say it's an EOS II anywhere except on the battery cover in small, red writing. The original EOS should have three brightness settings and a strobe. The EOS II only has high and low. On the EOS II, you have to hold down the button to turn it off. By the warm tint, it sounds like you got an EOS II with a Rebel l.e.d.. Mine didn't even come in the standard packaging so I have no idea whether or not there will be a difference shown on the packaging between the two models. Did yours come with a long, rubber headband strap as well? Is it Class I Division I rated (safe to use in explosive environments)? Who knows, maybe Princeton Tec is just selling updated EOS headlights. They're going to be doing the same thing with the Apex soon. If your light doesn't say it's Class I Division I rated, that may be the only difference between the EOS and the EOS II now. By the way, where did you get it at? It would be nice to know where to get what's basically an EOS II in a B&M store. The only place selling an EOS II is brightguy.com and it costs nearly $60 with shipping.

Last edited:

Any Cal.

Enlightened
It is a 4 mode light. Hi, Med, Lo, Strobe. Quick press to change modes, and the next press after 2 seconds turns it off. Class I Div II rated. It has a fabric elastic headband, no rubber. The front cover says 4 mode and H20 1M. The packaging says 25 lumens, but it is a lot higher than that. I would guess it at 45-50.

I bought the light at REI. It was on the rack below the display model with the clear optic, though mine had the frosted.

BTW, I paid $42 for it, and from the looks of it, and the packaging, I expect it was probably an updated model.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
If the package says 25 lumen who knows. The older one had a bright spot so it seemed like greater than 25 lumen however the spill was not all that good. This is one reason why I rejected the old EOS a few years ago. The newer one is so much better in my view. However you may have got the newer one all the same (frosted optic, warm tint brighter output). Just hard to tell as it seems the web site has errors so can only guess maybe the box was older with a newer headlamp.

edit. Here is the EOS 2 we got from bright guy:

http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/118

Here is the EOS for outdoors.

http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/65

Both show 50 lumen hi setting with Rebel LED. I do remember the older EOS had a clear optic and 25 lumens. But now they list 50.

The info on the web site is all mixed up. They show 3 levels for the industrial EOS 2 when it has only 2 modes in the photo (mine has only Hi and Low). Also question the regulated burn times between both headlamps. Why is the low longer on the outdoors regulated and the medium matches the low on the back one? Plus I know it stays regulated longer than 1 hour on Hi. So I would not trust the web site 100%. They don't even state the black EOS 2 uses NiMH. It says so right on the back in very small red type. In fact even the lense does not look frosted on the web site but I know the EOS 2 is frosted. The newer EOS does have a warm tint. :thumbsup: Maybe a beam shot would help use work this out?

Last edited:

Any Cal.

Enlightened
OK. saabgoblin's topic got me to looking. I have the new model EOS, as shown here, and it is in blue. It has a frosted optic, so the hot spot is not very intense. I tried to take some beamshots, but my camera does not show the gradient very well. The hotspot is just a slightly brighter blob, and is quite large. I think I must have one of the packages that were left over from the last run.

I have only had a few headlights, but I like this one. If it has a decent battery life, it should be great. I am running eneloops, so don't particularly care, except that I don't have enough batteries to change them without chargeing. I bought it for being watertight, fairly compact, and with a floodier beam. If you can track one down, you might like this one.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
BTW, the blinky mode flashes 13 times in 10 seconds, for anyone who cares. 1.3 hz? or so. I guess.