Need recommendations for a FLOODY light

highseas

Newly Enlightened
Hi board members, I would like to draw on your wisdom in finding a good, relatively inexpensive, and floody light. I can use drop-ins that are compatible with Solarforce L2 or Surefire 6P. I am very impressed with reviews and pictures of the Malkoff drop-ins. The M60LF would seem to be perfect as a drop-in. The only deterrent for me would be the cost (either of getting just the M60LF or another host and then the drop-in). I don't have a big budget for flashlights (and these are hard economic times).

Is there a cheaper alternative to the M60LF? No disrespect to Mr. Malkoff or his fans, but the price is way out of my range. I can't afford the Mercedes of drop-ins, you see.

What I'm looking for is a light that lights up the whole area in front of the light from 25 to 75 feet. I want to be able to see a wide area. (A floody light is what I'm looking for right?) Runtime is important.

So, yes, please give me some ideas. I'm looking at both whole flashlights and drop-ins that I can use in my host.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
You might want to consider adding a diffuser. Surefire makes one for their lights and there are others too IIRC. None of the DX modules I own are very floody.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, Id just save up money and buy a malkoff. And then a SF diffuser.

But I also agree that buying a simple SF diffuser will do the job with a cheap-o DX dropin.

Gary123

Enlightened
Forget a flood that goes out to 75 feet if you can't afford a quality drop in. I just had a custom flood light made that just maybe gets out to 75 feet, 3 x Rebel 100 leds, cost close to $400. Floods will basically be for close up, short, and short-mid range unless the led light is expensive.

I really like the little Princeton Tec Attitude, short range, 4 x AAA, 3 nichia leds, waterproof to 500'. Couple days ago EngrPaul put up for sale a Nuwai 301x-5 Luxeon V light, a truly wonderful flood light. That light came out at $75, I thought he was asking a bit much at $60 or so. Can't use for extended periods as it gets hot, runs on 2 x 123. If you think you might like one of those, you can pm me. You can also check flashlight-reviews for reviews of older lights, many of which are still available.

dano101

Enlightened
Id still go for the Malkoff M60F... or get a diffuser that will flood the beam a bit. I know the Malkoff is a bit expensive... but you wont be disapointed. I havent owned a M60F but have purchased one for an officer here and he loves it. Most of the work he does required flood capability (illuminating groups of people in the bush) and he attests that it was the best investment he ever made...

As well too, if its not really to your liking, itd take all of an hour to sell in the marketplace for top dollar... you wont get that resale, service (from gene) or amazing feeling with any other drop-in.

Dano

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Check out the Romisen RC-T6. There is a post on it here.
It's not a full flood light, but it does have a very wide hotspot, and a huge, bright spill beam.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi board members, I would like to draw on your wisdom in finding a good, relatively inexpensive, and floody light. I can use drop-ins that are compatible with Solarforce L2 or Surefire 6P. I am very impressed with reviews and pictures of the Malkoff drop-ins. The M60LF would seem to be perfect as a drop-in. The only deterrent for me would be the cost (either of getting just the M60LF or another host and then the drop-in). I don't have a big budget for flashlights (and these are hard economic times).

Is there a cheaper alternative to the M60LF? No disrespect to Mr. Malkoff or his fans, but the price is way out of my range. I can't afford the Mercedes of drop-ins, you see.

What I'm looking for is a light that lights up the whole area in front of the light from 25 to 75 feet. I want to be able to see a wide area. (A floody light is what I'm looking for right?) Runtime is important.

So, yes, please give me some ideas. I'm looking at both whole flashlights and drop-ins that I can use in my host.

Wolf-Eyes P7 Sniper

Check it out:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/200801

DaveG

Enlightened
How about the Inova X-5,tons of info on it around here,long run time,built like a tank.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What's your price range and how long would you like the light to run.

A defocused lens with an emitter can give a very nice floody pattern.

I'm thinking either a P7 light(good ones cost a bit though) or a diffuser.

highseas

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the informative replies. I guess I will have to settle for lights that are closer to the 25 feet range based on costs alone. My budget would be under $50 (more like $40). Maybe I should just save up.

Runtime should be more than 3 hours definitely. The more the better, but realistically, +5 hours would be good, and maybe at least 80 lumens.

shomie911

Enlightened
thanks for all the informative replies. I guess I will have to settle for lights that are closer to the 25 feet range based on costs alone. My budget would be under $50 (more like $40). Maybe I should just save up.

Runtime should be more than 3 hours definitely. The more the better, but realistically, +5 hours would be good, and maybe at least 80 lumens.

Like I said before, get the Inova T1!

4 hours of regulated output, 5 hours overall.

100 tested, out-the-front lumens

Nice floody beam that throws fairly well too.

A little bit less than $50.

Here it is at Battery Junction: Inova T1

highseas

Newly Enlightened
Like I said before, get the Inova T1!

4 hours of regulated output, 5 hours overall.

100 tested, out-the-front lumens

Nice floody beam that throws fairly well too.

A little bit less than $50.

Here it is at Battery Junction: Inova T1

Good thanks. Will definitely look into it! BTW I have heard people talking about new Inovas. Is the T1 one of the new ones? If not, will the new one be more powerful and have longer runtime?

shomie911

Enlightened
Good thanks. Will definitely look into it! BTW I have heard people talking about new Inovas. Is the T1 one of the new ones? If not, will the new one be more powerful and have longer runtime?

The T1 is the new 2008 model.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am working with Gene Malkoff on some filters for the M60's and pills of that size that will fit into the SureFire 6P genre of flashlights. I have already tested a couple for the larger Malkoff Triple Drop. They make a wide horizontal flood beam pattern without cutting down on the light output to any noticeable amount. When I get the filters I will be posting beam shots of them with the M60 and the Solarforce R2 pill using a more standard reflector to show what the beam pattern looks like. If they spark interest Gene will be selling them.

Its basically a smaller version of the one shown at the end of this thread for the triple drop.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205842

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aspherical kit for FLOOD?? :eek: :confused:
I thought the aspherical kit was supposed to make it floody?No? I was actually thinking about getting this kit. I am interested in a very flood light too that is not too expensive. Would a terralux drop in for a mag be a better choice?