• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: KL4 modded with 15 watt Ostar LED. Sold!

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
123xrbs.jpg

Pocket lights with 1000 lumen emitters? Only 3 left.

Tired of a different shape but same flavor? You'll get thinking-out-of-the-box with a 15-3VG. That's 15W, 3-cells in the size of a Mini-Maglite. Premium 1000 lumen Ostar emitter, 4-modes, runs on 3xCR123A/RCR123 and if you are caught with your pants down then lowly 2xAA alkaline's will work and still give 100 lumens. All the goodies are stored in the head so you can play Surefire Legos. For stealth mode try using the Surefire L4 body.

I wanted to let people know that a titanium barrel can not be used as well as shutting down in high mode as it's for short bursts. The aluminum alloy body is important for heatsinking. And these modified KL4's are seconds that have very small marks from having a tough time opening them to mod.

I need to sell these at $700.00 each which includes express shipping fees and PP fees. These will be the last three ever sold due to the complexity of this mod. PP address: arcmania (at) hotmail (dot) com

Guaranteed to please. First post and PP are first served.

This is from the first owner.

Firstly I am going to admit to being an absolute idiot. I was so anxious to try it out I loaded it with 3 "fresh" batteries I had to hand.

Well I was absolutely amazed. The beam is a fantastic white out of light. I tried it from the bedroom window and it lit up the whole garden. That has always been my test. Those throw monsters have a great wow factor, but for someone who uses a light every day I want to be able to see what is around me. And this light performs. I compared it to a trusty overachiving U2 and it wipped the floor with it.

I was thrilled. Then I rememberd that it had higher levels and that Mike set it to the lowest. I searched the site but could only find a mention of this. I thought I must be mistaken. So after flicking on and off forever I realised I was right. I wrote a quick email to Mike and asked if I recalled correctly. He confirmed that there were other levels. THEN IT DAWNED ON ME. The batteries I had put in were nearly dead. OMG I had just lite the whole garden on flatish batteries.

I put fresh ones in.......and clicked away. On the highest level it not only lit the garden, but the next doors and the field at the side of me. 44 Acres lit up by one torch. Foxes, owls and a muntjac deer all shocked by being thrown into day light. I really am not exagerating, this is the most special yet.

It has an the quality of both throw and spill. A perfect ballance.

Mike you have surpased yourself. In the email he stated that he was most proud of this light. Well for those that have one coming, you are in for quite a surprise.

The build quality is perfect. Clean and understated. There is nothing flashy. No, chrome, nickel, Ti plated, polished, anaodised, rainbow, glitz/ It looks like a KL4 on a slightly longer body. That is until you turn it on...then you really do own the night.

Mike, if you read this.......you have every right to be proud. There is nothing that can beat it.

o5t1u0.jpg

3582mbd.jpg

ARC mania

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: FS: KL4 modded with 15 watt Ostar LED.

Excellent write up!
I am sold, but I don't have 700 bucks either.
:oops:

I will have to settle for dreaming about it.

Brizzler

Newly Enlightened

WOW!

I want... but I'd be :broke: so for now I have to settle with :sigh:

Edwood

Enlightened

nmf52d.jpg

Beamshots from Paladin

I have one of the special beauties. The best past of this light is the Surefire "Lego" capabilities of this light, and the sheer flexibility of the converter.

It can run off an amazing variety of battery combinations. I ran it off of two AA's (at lower levels, tried alkalines and NIMH Eneloops). It can run off of two CR123 cells or even one (at lower levels)

It is an extreme flood beam with moderate throw. An amazing Wall of Light.

Last edited:

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a mint black head but no more of the original barrels. There were only 10pcs (5pcs each of HA natural and HA black) of the original barrels made with the titanium clips. My machine shop charged me dearly (actually over-charged) for them so I just gave up on making more. This small batch of modified KL4 heads were a real nightmare. One of the major issues I had was to sort through 3Kpcs of 1000 lumen (QZ in brightness) 15 watt Ostar LED's in order to find extremely low VF's, otherwise it would not work well on 3 x CR123's. Typical VF is bewteen 22 volts and 24 volts. I found 15pcs out of that batch that had VF's ranging from 17.6 volts to 18.2 volts. This is just one of the many reasons why I will never make these again. Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

ARC mania

Edwood

Enlightened

One of the major issues I had was to sort through 3Kpcs of 1000 lumen (QZ in brightness) 15 watt Ostar LED's in order to find extremely low VF's, otherwise it would not work well on 3 x CR123's. Typical VF is bewteen 22 volts and 24 volts. I found 15pcs out of that batch that had VF's ranging from 17.6 volts to 18.2 volts. This is just one of the many reasons why I will never make these again. Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

ARC mania

The tint is great as well. Nice and neutral. Just a tiny hint of burgundy warmth at the lowest level, and get very slightly cooler at the highest level.

This is the reason why you rarely ever see lights with the Osram Ostar LED, folks. Winning the tint lottery, let alone VF lottery is rare. You literally have to buy thousands of them to get a handfull of perfect ones. Osram's binning policy sucks.

I can't think of a single isn't a single flashlight using the 1000 Lumen Ostar that can run off of as few as two CR123 cells at maximum brightness, let alone can even function at all on two AA batteries.

-Ed

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast

The tint is great as well. Nice and neutral. Just a tiny hint of burgundy warmth at the lowest level, and get very slightly cooler at the highest level.

This is the reason why you rarely ever see lights with the Osram Ostar LED, folks. Winning the tint lottery, let alone VF lottery is rare. You literally have to buy thousands of them to get a handfull of perfect ones. Osram's binning policy sucks.

I can't think of a single isn't a single flashlight using the 1000 Lumen Ostar that can run off of as few as two CR123 cells at maximum brightness, let alone can even function at all on two AA batteries.

-Ed

I can't wait for mine!!:whistle:

seattlite

Enlightened

Was it mentioned that this head will work in a 1 - 3 cell body using primaries and rechareables(3-3.7v)? This means you can pump out lots of Ostar lumens from a VERY SMALL form factor. Head + VG FB1 makes for a very cool combo!

Edwood

Enlightened

Was it mentioned that this head will work in a 1 - 3 cell body using primaries and rechareables(3-3.7v)? This means you can pump out lots of Ostar lumens from a VERY SMALL form factor. Head + VG FB1 makes for a very cool combo!

Yes, it works with any E-series body. I've gotten the following to work:

- 2x CR123A Primary & AW Rechargeable (brand new) - Highest Level Works, Highest Level starts to flicker when the power is drained enough.
- 1x CR123A Primary & AW Rechargeable (brand new) - Only Lowest Level Works
-2x AA Alkaline and Eneloop NIMH - Only Lowest Level Works

-Ed

seattlite

Enlightened

Yes, it works with any E-series body. I've gotten the following to work:

- 2x CR123A Primary & AW Rechargeable (brand new) - Highest Level Works, Highest Level starts to flicker when the power is drained enough.
- 1x CR123A Primary & AW Rechargeable (brand new) - Only Lowest Level Works
-2x AA Alkaline and Eneloop NIMH - Only Lowest Level Works

-Ed

Hmmm....Using a FB1 and a MP branded 3.6v 700mah cell, I get at least 3 modes. I can get the 4th and highest level, but that only last about a minute...if that. But level 3 is more than enough light....more than my MTE P7.

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm sorry to say this but I am going to keep two of the modified KL4's with the 15 watt Ostar LED. I was just thinking about the amount of work involved in these mods and just couldn't bare the though of selling them off. Thank you.

ARC mania

cree8

Newly Enlightened

Has anyone tried a single 17670?

white light

Enlightened

I'm sorry to say this but I am going to keep two of the modified KL4's with the 15 watt Ostar LED. I was just thinking about the amount of work involved in these mods and just couldn't bare the though of selling them off. Thank you.

ARC mania

:candle:-----------:mecry:

OceanView

Enlightened

II was just thinking about the amount of work involved in these mods and just couldn't bare the though of selling them off.
Just thinking about checking all those emitters to find the "diamonds in the rough" with the right Vf, and then making it work in such a small package is truly amazing work! Worth every penny, in my opinion, although too many pennies for my piggy bank. :mecry:

Fuhgetaboudit

Enlightened

Perhaps close the thread then if you are not selling them anymore? Just a suggestion

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: KL4 modded with 15 watt Ostar LED. Ended.

Fuhgetaboudit: Great idea!

I can't beleive I forgot to end this thread. Must have gotten a bit too emotional. Its really difficult to let go of a masterpeice, like kickin your kids out the house when they turn 18. In this case, they have to stay execpt for one who will go living with the PSM family. Sorry to all members.

ARC mania

Latest posts