Are manufacturers missing out on Surefire drop ins?

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to me that there is a void in the Surefire drop in market. Why can't they come out with a drop in optimised for 3.7 volt li-ion batteries that is widely availible? Just by reading through this forum it seems like alot of people echo my sentiment. I would like one with a warm white led(incandesent like),3.7v li-ion regulated,op reflector,multimode(100%-50%-5%)with no sos or strobe.The only one that I know of is Deerelight q2 5a.
List your thoughts and wishes on the subject and maybe someone will produce them in quantity.

Last edited:

highseas

Newly Enlightened
I want a drop in with similar characteristics as yours (100% 50% 5%). The important thing is the high mode produces a powerful light and the low mode will last hours (preferably more than 25 to 30 hours).

If the low mode lasts less than 8-10 hours it is not useful to me. I want one flashlight (drop-in) that covers all the bases.

jbviau

Enlightened
I would like one with a warm white led(incandesent like),3.7v li-ion regulated,op reflector,multimode(100%-50%-5%)with no sos or strobe.The only one that I know of is Deerelight q2 5a.

No offense, but if Dereelight makes exactly what you want, then what's the problem? Is it the widely available aspect? Part of the problem is that the li-ion batteries themselves aren't really widely available.

I'd keep your eyes on the new Lumens Factory LED modules also. I think I read that they plan to release multimode drop-ins, and they have some access to R2s with warmer tints.

Last edited:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offense, but if Dereelight makes exactly what you want, then what's the problem? Is it the widely available aspect? Part of the problem is that the li-ion batteries themselves aren't really widely available.

I'd keep your eyes on the new Lumens Factory LED modules also. I think I read that they plan to release multimode drop-ins, and they have some access to R2s with warmer tints.
Yes I would like to order from a US company. I've had bad luck ordering out of country.I know about the LF drop ins. I will be watching their progress.Especially because Lighthound carries the LF line.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't think its that profitable to design a quality DC circuit that will efficiently buck when voltage is above Vf and boost when voltage dips below Vf. Obviously it can be done, but the $ investment it takes to research/develop, field test, launch and market a quality product outweighs the financial return of investment for the product developer.

Are manufacturers missing out?... I don't think so, for the simple reason that there is not enough demand (outside of CPF), to recover from the fore-mentioned cost of development. I would venture to guess that the typical 6PL using LEO is perfectly content with a 4 hour (or whatever they get) run time using primary cells.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think its that profitable to design a quality DC circuit that will efficiently buck when voltage is above Vf and boost when voltage dips below Vf. Obviously it can be done, but the $ investment it takes to research/develop, field test, launch and market a quality product outweighs the financial return of investment for the product developer.

Are manufacturers missing out?... I don't think so, for the simple reason that there is not enough demand (outside of CPF), to recover from the fore-mentioned cost of development. I would venture to guess that the typical 6PL using LEO is perfectly content with a 4 hour (or whatever they get) run time using primary cells.

The technology is already there. There are plenty lights out there that run fine on 3.7v li-ion. I just want a drop in as described above.

Yapo

Enlightened
well the thing is surefire never has intended any of their lights to run on rechargeable lithiums(apart from the 1 or 2 rechargeable lights they have) so i dont see why they would suddenly want to make a light or in this case a drop in that does whereas dereelight's the opposite.
And also in the past very few surefires have had more than 1 mode...its only from their recent cree line that has 2 modes, probly since theyre brighter now and i doubt they would make a 3 mode clicky light any time soon.
but i would have gotten a E1L/E2L/E1B/L1/ if they were li-ion friendly

Winx

Newly Enlightened
I've wondered the same. I also hate strobes and sos. Thank god for Dereelight drop-ins and especially 3SD in my case :twothumbs. I don't care if it's overpriced (not in my opinion), it does what it is supposed to do and I don't need to look at KD or DX drop-ins.

Gator762

Enlightened

Most likely perfectly content using primaries, and SureFire selling them while us taxpayers keep buying the batteries for them. :(

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
As part of the 10% of taxpayers who pays 65% of all taxes collected, I'm less concerned about LEO battery costs than some other line items.